Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > Help with research > Pit-a-Pat Rarities

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

I'm putting together an article on Pit-a-Pat for this issue of the magazine. I'd love to know if anyone has some of the rare Pit-a-Pat pieces, so that I could include photos in the article. (I would also like to include many of the photos already in the photo gallery - I'm trying to send messages to everyone who has photos of Pit-a-Pat up, but if I miss your photo, please let me know - and you can answer here if you want to!)

The rarities I know of from a catalogue and Marion Osborne's work include:

pictures on a chain for hanging

smoker's stand (ashtray on a stand)

cushions in bolster and square shapes

a hanging barbola mirror (barbola means fruit or flowers modelled from plastic paste, so it would have flowers around it, probably)

barbola book ends

piano stool (I have photos of the upright and grand pianos, but no stool!)

4 fold screen

china cabinet with 2 glass doors

reclining chair with swivel back

vase with flowers

small rug with fringe

flower pots with flowers

food

folding bedstead with spring mattress (not the put-u-up / bed settee)

flat desk on drawers

barometer

breakfast set - egg & egg cup, plate, napkin etc

pastry set - rolling pin, bowl and board

step ladder

kitchen pots, pans & kettle

metal tea set

vacuum cleaner

bedding in silk and lace

bath mat

folding canvas garden shelter

tub chairs for the garden

fireside chair upholstered in cretonne (very low seat, wooden arms)

floor lamp (standard lamp)

doll's house papers!

and any other rare Pit-a-Pat pieces that you know of!

All photos will be attributed to their contributors, of course.

Thanks, Rebecca

Items I've received photos of now crossed out, thank you very much! Still looking for the other items :)

August 20, 2011 at 5:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

In picture 4 in Two Trang Art Deco houses album, I have an ashtray on a stand - metal. That#s not Pit-a Pat, is it?

August 20, 2011 at 8:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

Hi Rosemary, thanks, I don't think so - I have a metal ashtray on a stand which I think is German. I'm not sure if the Pit-a-Pat ones were made of wood or metal (I would suspect wood), but in one catalogue they were described as enamelled in bright colours.

I would like to use some of your photos, though - the colourful put-u-up, the bookcase and books, and perhaps the fridge from Foxes ffynde (I think you said it was a bit different?) Would that be OK?

August 20, 2011 at 9:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Absolutely fine - will the ones in the albums be OK or would you like me to take them individually? Its easy at the moment because (most days) there is good, natural light, and I am on holiday.

August 20, 2011 at 12:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barbara

The ashtray is wooden, about two inches high, the one I have seen was painted grey, it was at a fair and I would have bought it but it was already in someone elses hand!!               I have the rolling pin, I will photograph it for you, I am pretty sure it is the Pit a pat one, It came with the knife box.

August 20, 2011 at 1:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

Wonderful, Barbara! And someone has an ashtray - maybe we'll find a photo!

August 20, 2011 at 8:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

Rosemary at August 20, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Absolutely fine - will the ones in the albums be OK or would you like me to take them individually? Its easy at the moment because (most days) there is good, natural light, and I am on holiday.

Thank you, Rosemary!

It would be great to have individual photos of the fridge and of the sofa and matching chairs - it's amazing fabric on them.

The books and bookcase are fine, they're individually photographed already for the bookcases identity parade. :)

August 20, 2011 at 9:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jane

I don't have anything unusual but I bought the lovely pink floral suite that Dale put up in the gallery (pic 58), would you like a bigger pic of those?

August 20, 2011 at 9:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

I would indeed Jane! I was just looking at that and thinking it's almost a thumbnail - so that would be brilliant! :)

August 20, 2011 at 10:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jane

Okeydoke, will do. That was last year's Christmas pressie to me from my parents -- or so I told them after I'd done the dirty deed, lol!

August 20, 2011 at 11:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

I have a play pen, Rebecca. I can't see it in the PaP album or on your list - mind you I might have missed it. I assume mine is PaP because it looks like the same construction as other bits. Shall I photograph along with the chairs and Fridge?

August 21, 2011 at 3:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

That would be great, Rosemary! I don't have a photo yet - I know of someone who has one, so was going to ask Marion to contact them to ask .... but will be very glad to have a photo from you. Actually, I don't have much nursery furniture with transfers, just the chairs from Dale which are in the album, so if you or anyone else has any - that would be great too. :)

August 21, 2011 at 3:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Michelle Robertson

I remember that Marion O  had some nursery furniture because she used our chairs which were marked P-A-P to help firm up her identification. I can't remember exactly which pieces though it was a while ago, a table & wardrobe maybe?

August 21, 2011 at 4:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

Thanks, Michelle, I'll ask her. She sometimes passes on photos from another collector, who's not online, but it's great to know that she has some herself too!

August 21, 2011 at 4:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Claire Quick

Rebecca have put a pic of the fireside chair in the gallery

August 21, 2011 at 11:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

Thank you Claire! That's brilliant :)

August 21, 2011 at 12:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Claire Quick

No problem. really looking forward to seeing the article.It was nice to discover a few other pieces of P a p through the gallery pics that i had but didnt know because there was no label on them.:D

August 21, 2011 at 4:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

I have added some photos to the Pit-a-Pat article since publication. They are highlighted with a red NEW (or in one case YES!), so you can find them easily. They are:

carver chairs, which Marion realised I'd overlooked

the real 'Cosy Suite' - small, wooden, with cardboard seats, which I had also overlooked

a square table with crosspieces which Marion also has

a black and white gas cooker

a white oval ink stamp on a chair base

a radiogram

and, wonder of wonders, a folding canvas garden shelter!

Thank you very much, Marion and Eleanor! :D

September 9, 2011 at 7:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Eleanor

Your welcome Rebecca, thanks to your super article it made me look more closely at the Garden Shelter and remove the side panel to discover the ink stamp. I didn't even realise Pit A Pat made a Garden Shelter. So Thank you!!! Brilliant article and magazine. E.

September 9, 2011 at 7:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Michelle Robertson

Ohhhhhhhhh Thank You Thank You Thank You Eleanor & Rebecca. I have a garden shelter in bits in one of my bits boxes in the garage & had no notion that the bits went together to make the shelter. My goodness I am one very over excited Pit-A-Pat collector. Whoo Hoo!

September 9, 2011 at 7:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.