Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > eBay fundraising

Brooksey
Administrator

Ten days ago, I posted the following in the Fundraising website thread:

Two members have suggested that donated items could be sold on eBay in order to reach a wider buying audience, but both are too short of time to do it themselves. I am willing to sell donated items on eBay on behalf of the time-pressed. If anyone wants to take advantage of this offer, you must send the item(s) to me for listing. Please leave a message for me in this Forum and I will contact you to discuss it in more detail or send you my postal address.

"A little later than advertised" I'm now able to start doing this. I've started this as a new topic, because my original offer has got buried in the now very long Fundraising website one. This arrangement is probably only suitable for selling small items, because as Val Hill pointed out in the other thread:

A word of caution here, I have several items which belonged to my grandmother, including a huge chenille tablecloth with a tapestry border in near perfect condition, which I thought I would donate for sale. However, when I researched completed items on eBay, I realised it would cost more to post it to Brooksey than it would make on eBay. I do have several other items that will be cheaper to post, so will take Brooksey up on her offer, but a little research before posting might be advisable.

Essentially, as well as donating the item(s) for sale, the donor pays the postage to me.

August 21, 2018 at 4:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

I have now actually started selling on eBay on behalf of members who can't commit the time to do this themselves. This is quite exciting for me, because I've never sold on Ebay before. (Buying, of course, is an entirely different matter - 12 years experience of that, almost all of it dolls house related!). 

August 28, 2018 at 11:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

theinfill.wordpress.com

Sorry Brooksey, but have run eye over the text again and failed to spot what your eBay name is.

--

August 28, 2018 at 11:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

I didn't give it, Do! On eBay I'm twitchtedshead (don't ask!).

August 28, 2018 at 1:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jazz

Fab name - one to be remembered!!!

August 29, 2018 at 4:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Hi, Jazz! It's been a long time since we've heard from you - nice to see you again!

The items I've currently got listed aren't dolls house miniatures - I'm willing to sell anything that I'm sent. I am expecting to be listing some dolls house stuff in a week or two, though. I'll post details in this Forum when that happens!

August 29, 2018 at 5:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

So has a new website been decided on yet?  I was expecting some news a week ago - but nothing, and the site grows worse and worse. Rebecca, what is happening please? We have all done our best - and are still working on the raising of the money but time is passing and nothing seems to have happened. I think that we would all be happy to hear from you as to the final decision.

August 29, 2018 at 7:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Message to Val,  thank you for sending Chandalier and sorry could not reply to your PM, and not sure if you are getting your emails now.

August 31, 2018 at 6:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Received today Val, many thanks for donating it for the fund, really lovely.

September 1, 2018 at 9:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

lallyp

Glad you like it Jan!  I look forward to seeing them in situ!

--

Valerie Towers

September 1, 2018 at 1:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Wonder if the new website will be iPad friendly, don't think we would ever be able to post photos from an Apple iPad though, sadly.

September 2, 2018 at 9:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Badger

Jan at September 2, 2018 at 9:10 AM

Wonder if the new website will be iPad friendly, don't think we would ever be able to post photos from an Apple iPad though, sadly.

I asked about that a while ago Jan - it will be iPad friendly. Hooray!

September 2, 2018 at 10:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator

This is off-topic, but I can't post comments any more, not even if I log in as administrator: It is lovely to see that some people can still post albums and are sharing beautiful and interesting houses with us - I have really enjoyed Susanne G.'s, Do's, Ninja's, Val's and Mary Noel's recent albums! I am so sorry not to be able to comment individually on your photos, but I really appreciate them, as I am sure many others now unable to comment also do :)

Everything will be better when we get our new site :) and it is great that so many people are still posting photos and taking part in the forums in spite of our current woes.

--

Edel

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shero6820/

September 2, 2018 at 10:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Joan

Just a question, what happens if enough money isn’t achieved and the site folds? Do we lose our cash?

--

September 2, 2018 at 12:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Badger at September 2, 2018 at 10:19 AM

Jan at September 2, 2018 at 9:10 AM

I asked about that a while ago Jan - it will be iPad friendly. Hooray!

Thanks Badger, missed that along the way, many people use iPads now so great news.

September 2, 2018 at 5:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

Joan at September 2, 2018 at 12:52 PM

Just a question, what happens if enough money isn’t achieved and the site folds? Do we lose our cash?

The FundRazr option we chose was 'Keep it all', in other words, whatever we raise, we keep. So no, we will not lose any money. (The 'All or nothing' option would refund the money to donors if the target was not met, but we did not choose that option.)

As Brooksey explained, we are waiting on clarifications on one of the proposals for the new website, so we hope to know the final cost soon. The proposals are itemised, so we know what each feature costs. We will certainly have enough money for a new website - we may need to make decisions about some optional features (eg our desire to be able to put individual photo albums, and ideally individual photos, into multiple photo categories, will probably be outside our budget), but we will have a functioning website. Once we know the final quote, I will email all members again - some have said that they would prefer to donate once they know the final figures.

--

Rebecca :)

September 2, 2018 at 11:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

wendy c

That's good news Rebecca, and thank you so much for  all your efforts - bet you never thought that you would be letting yourself in for all this when you took over the web site!  I think you are doing a brilliant job, and I know that things always take far more time than expected......

I'm sure that when it's up and running, we could devise some fun things to do every year to keep the site going if that is what becomes necessarry. 

September 3, 2018 at 5:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

I've just paid £34.00 into the Fund from the eBay sales of some Mini Baby Born dolls donated by Val Hill for the campaign. Val sent them to me to sell on her behalf, and I'm pleased to report that four of the five lots listed sold, with one relisted. 

I've also received the vintage Sooty puppet and Sooty Xylophone from Jan, which I shall be listing soon (hopefully tomorrow).

Besides these, another member has sent me a huge amount of miniatures intended for sale on eBay, some of which are very fine indeed. I shall publish the ID numbers in this Forum, to allow members to find them easily! I had intended to list them in smallish quantities at approximately weekly intervals, so as not to flood the market, but what do the rest of you think about this strategy? Would you sooner see everything that's on offer sooner, so you can decide what you can afford to bid on, without regretting that something you wanted more came up later? 

The listing of this very generous donation will have to take place over several days, in any case, because there's so much, but the question is whether I list them quickly on consecutive days, or spread them out over several weeks. Let me know.

September 5, 2018 at 1:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

I would prefer that they were spread out - a cornucopia can be overwhelming!

September 5, 2018 at 3:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Liza

Someone I follow seems to do very well listing two or three things a day, so as to keep you looking to see what treasures are coming next. She has a lot of followers and the strategy seems to work very well. Of course, you may not have time to do it this way.

--

Liza Antrim

September 6, 2018 at 3:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.