Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > What's my house? > Seventies' style dolls house

Marie

I wonder if anybody can point me in the right direction for finding makers for dollshouses with plastic windows? I can't post a picture at the moment, but will try later. Sorry for sounding so confused! The house is a traditional shape, factory made, plywood, the windows are all white, with clear plastic in a latticed pattern. The door is also of this plastic, with full height "glazing" each side. It looks so seventies in style. On the windows is printed RCA 1976. It has a front, which is why I don't recognise the make. Any ideas are most welcome! 

--
April 29, 2018 at 3:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jeanette
I was up early and had a wee look on google and pinterest, Marie but I got really overwhelmed with your RCA 1976 clue... I ended up reminiscing about my record collection, good luck and I hope that the picture of the house can help...
--

April 29, 2018 at 3:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

Hi Marie, sorry you can't post a photo - if you'd like to send some to me (greenreb41 at hotmail dot com - replace at with @ and dot with . and delete spaces) - I may be able to identify it for you, and or post the photos for other members to help.

Several 1970s makers of dolls houses did include fronts on the houses, including:

Hobbies (see the article here

http://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/issue22sept2014p9.htm

some Toy Works houses - see the article here

http://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/issue16march2013p9.htm

and Photo Category here:

http://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/apps/photos/category?id=1038616

At the bottom of the article about Toy Works, there are photos of some houses by other makers like SIO, Park Toys and Playcraft, focusing on their windows and doors, which may help too. There are a couple more Playcraft houses in the Mettoy Playcraft photo category here:

http://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/apps/photos/category?id=960362

Christopher Cole also made dolls houses in the 70s, see the article here :

http://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/issue25june2015p6.htm

and Photo Category here:

http://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/apps/photos/category?id=1442451

There were other makers in the 70s too - it will be easier when we can see your house!

--

Rebecca :)

April 29, 2018 at 7:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Marie

Thank you, I will try and send you a photo! I haven't had time to check the links you posted, but will do so now! 

April 30, 2018 at 10:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Marie

Wow, loads of fun new houses for me, thank you Rebecca! I have really enjoyed looking at these, a happy side effect being that my wish list has just grown longer! I recognise a few of these from ebay perusals actually, so interesting to know more about them.,

Jeannette, that's nice that you thought of your record collection! Maybe this house will have a musical theme then! 

Rececca, I have emailed you some photos, hopefully they won't be too blurry.

April 30, 2018 at 12:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Marie

I have just realised that the papers look like two of the papers in the Hobbies link! Mottled red and mottled blue. That would surely suggest a Hobbies design, don't you think.. good fun this. 

April 30, 2018 at 3:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Marie at April 30, 2018 at 3:06 PM

I have just realised that the papers look like two of the papers in the Hobbies link! Mottled red and mottled blue. That would surely suggest a Hobbies design, don't you think.. good fun this. 

A large part of the fun of d/h ownership for me - or even just looking at them on-line - is wondering and researching. The Hobbies have been drawing my attention for quite a while now, though I don't own one, so I hope your new house turns out to be one.

Being a bit of a dreamer and more than a little sentimental into the bargain, even when you finally identify the house, I shall still be wondering about who it belonged to and who helped to build it. Can't wait to see it!

Have fun with the research.

--

May 1, 2018 at 6:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Marie

That is so true, Trumble's Mum, wondering is so interesting isn't it.   I have a wooden Lundby house with a girl's name painstakingly carved on the side, and a few bits of furniture also  lovingly personalised, a Lundby bed painted a bright red with the owner's name in massive capitals underneath, so charming and funny. I would so like to find the other one, imagine two sisters sharing a set and bickering about which one it was that ended up with a broken leg.. mine! Mended with a big blob of glue. It makes me smile every time I look at it. 

May 5, 2018 at 1:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

Sorry, Marie, I was away on a work trip this week - I will post your photos tomorrow!

--

May 5, 2018 at 1:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

I have now posted two photos of this dolls house in the Photo Gallery, in an album called Marie's 70s? mystery house.

I don't recognise the windows, I don't think - can anyone help?

--

May 6, 2018 at 1:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Marie

:P

Thank you Rebecca! 

--
May 6, 2018 at 5:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

I still can't post comments in photo albums so I'll have to reply here.

This house was made to a W Hobby plan, "The Sherwood", No 1650P, so not factory-made. A pack including the plan, the doors, windows, staircase, wall and floor papers, plus paste, was sold as catalogue number 1650FK. Not a true kit, then, as the wood had to be obtained and cut by the buyer.

The doors and windows were also all available separately, with their own catalogue numbers: Single Window WSK. Double Window WDK, Treble Window WTK, Bay Window WBK, Vestibule Door WVK and Six Panel Door PDK. The "vestibule door" is the six-panel glazed door used as the front door on "The Sherwood". The "six panel door" is an unglazed solid "white-painted wooden" door, to be used for the interior doors.

I never kept my Hobby's catalogues over the years - I wish I had, now! - but used to discard them each year when I got the new one, so I can't tell you when "The Sherwood" first appeared. The last paper catalogue I have is 2014, but the plans and components pack are still showing online as being available today:

https://hobby.uk.com/plan-sherwood-dolls-house.html

and

https://hobby.uk.com/fittings-kit-sherwood-dolls-house.html

The windows and doors are no longer available to buy separately.

May 6, 2018 at 9:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

Oh, good on you, Brooksey! I have some Hobby's catalogues, so will have a look. I only looked at the components on their website, not the dolls house designs, and didn't see the windows and doors ....

--

May 6, 2018 at 10:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Well done, Brooksey! Now that solves my afternoon of wondering - we lived in West Norwood when my children were young and were in and out of Hobby's in Knight's Square every few weeks through the early 80s. I would have seen the Sherwood made up as they displayed all the houses in their range on shelving high on the wall all the way round the showroom.

--

May 6, 2018 at 12:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Marie

Amazing, thank you Brooksey!! 

May 8, 2018 at 7:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Marie

So 'The Sherwood ' then! A sweet little house. A shame that the separate bits aren't avalable anymore though, as one window pane is missing, and also one internal door.. any ideas there? I do have the plastic stairs,they are stuck in the attic space at the moment.  Silly question, but Hobbies and Hobby's, did one change into the other, or are the similar names just a coincidence? 

May 8, 2018 at 7:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

I've just checked my Hobby's catalogues, and it looks like the Sherwood was introduced in 1995 or 1996, a bit later than we have been thinking. It's not in 1994, and it is in 1997, not highlighted as a new plan, so I assume it was new in 95 or 96, neither of which I have.

Hobbies and Hobby's have quite different histories. Hobby's started out as Swisscross, selling Swiss musical movements (for musical boxes), then expanded their lines and changed their name to reflect the wider range. Hobbies had closed in 1968, though was restarted under the same name in 1978 - Hobby's began expanding their range at about the time that Hobbies was wound up, and actually bought some of Hobbies designs (and, in the years before Hobbies was restarted under that name, also sold some kits and plans designed by the man who restarted it!)

So they are separate, but have connections - and I presume that Hobby's chose that spelling of the word as Hobbies was very well known, and had only recently closed when Swisscross became Hobby's.

--

May 8, 2018 at 7:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Marie

Thank you Rebecca! I am so happy about the help and helpfulness (!?). learning so much. So  a 90's house alas, can't help wondering why it said 1976 on the plastic elements now.. maybe just a number. :)

--
May 8, 2018 at 10:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum
Marie, when I lived near their showroom/shop (1995 -2001), I visited quite often and know they had trays full of older small stock items that were not in the catalogue at that time. It is entirely possible that they held a large stock of earlier made Windows and used them when designing The Sherwood because they were already on hand for kits or to buy separately for working from a plan. They held bits that were difficult to replace elsewhere in pre-internet days too. Tiny scale stuff was rare in the 70s but I bought a 1:32 door for my Dad's childhood farm barn from the early 30s, made of wood and a perfect fit. I was offered a choice of 2, and they only had one of each. I was told it was bought in stock from another old business that had closed. My grandfather made the farm and we had thought any replacement we could get would be plastic, so it gave Dad great pleasure to fit one that looked so good.
May 9, 2018 at 1:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Tacky  Wax! Terrible this year. Can't post this bad news any other way. Chaos in my houses, they are Closed to Visitors, fatalities occurring every day as chandeliers crash onto unsuspecting heads, mirrors drunkenly slide down walls, pictures slither...it will take days to restore order when cooler weather arrives. Non  tacky wax, that's what it is and it ruins real carpets if you drop any onto them.

August 2, 2018 at 1:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.