Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > More frustration!

Holly

Definitely looks like it may be worth investigating :) Good luck Rebecca its a glimmer of hope we have to turn over every stone to find a solution. It may just require some tactical action. 

It is quite possible that FTP access was deprecated for the older sitebuilder versions so if you upgrade to the newer sitebuild you would be able to use the FTP.

If Sitebuilder 3 would give you the FTP access you could perhaps upgrade to that and go to the HTML version of the site to get the FTP access. 

Upgrading to a later sitebuild presumably sitebuilder 3 might mean some aspects of the site go a bit wonky because of the new code but it is worth doing if it is a means to an end to get you the FTP access you require so you can move the content. We would all bear with you for whatever you needed to do. :)

May 29, 2018 at 7:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Michaela

Thank you Rebecca, Brooksey and Holly for the explanations, I feel I understand the problems more clearly now.  Especially thank you to Rebecca and Brooksey for all your work.

Thinking about what Rosemary said, about not wanting to post more Greconville adventures, even if the site is behaving, due to adding to the workload of those saving content, would it be an idea to find ourselves a new home as soon as possible?

As we are at the moment, the fun is stalled and some members are drifting away.  If we could set up in our new premises, we could chat, share new info and photos, and enjoy our hobby.  At the same time, those of us who are willing and able can be continuing to rescue as much as possible from here and add it to our new home.

Cost may be a factor in this suggestion, as it would be necessary to pay for two host sites for an undetermined length of time.  I would be happy to contribute to the expenses.  

I would also be happy to help save some content from here and add it to the new site.   Is it straightforward enough to save the info?  Is it a case of copy and paste text, and right click and save photos?  If so, I'm well able to do that.  I'll start with my own photo threads and then if other threads are allocated to me I'll happily do the same with those.

--

May 29, 2018 at 9:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Holly

Michaela you make a really good suggestion about having a 'user led' migration of content which could help Rebecca with issues of consent.

Regarding Rebecca setting up another website I believe part of the issue is a domain name thing. Every website has it's own unique web address/uri/url. 

The 'Dollshousepastandpresent.com' can only be allocated to one webpresence at a time so if Rebecca did start up a new site before this one was moved/rebuilt it would either have to be a different website name or this site would have to have it's name changed and the DHPP domain name given to the new site. It is a project that needs to be carefully managed for Rebecca to achieve what she wants to and not compromise the identity of the DHPP website.

I am guessing decisions really can't be made on how to move forward until Rebecca has worked out exactly what processes she can and can't do. Which from what she says she is obviously really busy doing right now.:)

It would be possible to set up a new forum now and integrate it into the new website at a later date but it all really depends on what systems Rebecca is intending to use for her new site ie. Wordpress etc. 

There are loads of good forum set ups available as plug ins or stand alone websites but it all depends a lot on Rebeccas budget. Like all things there are free options, cheap options and expensive options. 

Google search can bring up an overwhelming choice. 

https://www.codefear.com/scripts/5-best-php-forum-bulletin-board-script/

May 29, 2018 at 10:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

AAAAAGH! So sorry Rosemary - I was enjoying your new photos and began commenting but eventually got the new Captcha replacement thing of clicking on squares containing road signs - after 30 sets of them being duly clicked upon, I've had to give up. Yet another glitch on the site. But all the pics are fabulous and making me timid about my role as jobbing builder to Arthur and Alice in their new abode!

--

June 2, 2018 at 5:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

I have posted a few answers to your questions on the new photos.

June 2, 2018 at 6:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Sadly the site is now getting too difficult to use - it has been OK for me up until now, but is rather like Google Earth - now changed to Google Maps and the Earth site is slowly vanishing and there are less and less tools every week, never mind the spotty pictures. So I assume that is what is happening here but no new site to go on to as in Earth maps.  Is there any news or is this really Good-bye? No-one seems to have been commenting over the last day or so - and I am not even sure if such comments as there were are even still on show since I can't access the pictures.

June 8, 2018 at 4:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Rosemary at June 8, 2018 at 4:42 AM

Sadly the site is now getting too difficult to use - it has been OK for me up until now, but is rather like Google Earth - now changed to Google Maps and the Earth site is slowly vanishing and there are less and less tools every week, never mind the spotty pictures. So I assume that is what is happening here but no new site to go on to as in Earth maps.  Is there any news or is this really Good-bye? No-one seems to have nbeen commenting over the last day or so - and I am not even sure if such comments as there were are even still on show since I can't access the pictures.

Still looking in but having to click on things twice all the time is annoying, the site sometimes works fine apart from double click it requires, was taking a break from here as I get a bit depressed at the thought of it closing down completely.

June 8, 2018 at 10:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

It will not close down completely! We will have a new site.

--

Rebecca :)

June 9, 2018 at 1:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Val Hill

We have faith in you, Rebecca.

June 10, 2018 at 1:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

That's so good to know.

June 10, 2018 at 6:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Holly

I would just like to offer a vote of confidence for Rebecca! ;)She may have been a bit quiet on the forum but I know from a couple of off the record technical discussions I have had with her she is busy exploring every avenue to sort things out and keep the site going. Don't despair folks! :)

June 10, 2018 at 8:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

cestina

I too have faith in Rebecca and her commitment to the site and its members.  We are hanging on in there Rebecca and sending many positive thoughts your way!

In the meantime it once again won't let me update my signature so for anyone interested there are three new blogposts on Cestina's Dollshouses since it last let me do it at Christmas time: www.czechdollshouses.blogspot.cz   Copy and paste!

--

Cestina's Dollshouses: https://czechdollshouses.blogspot.com/2019/04/in-eclectic-manor_20.html" target="_blank">In an Eclectic Manor

June 10, 2018 at 6:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michaela

Hanging in here too.  :)

--

June 11, 2018 at 5:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

No wonder that this forum is now so long - it is now impossible to start a new one since the Captcha is not working.

I wanted to have a little grumble about an old house being sold with furniture - at a four figure sum. I looked harder because I expected the meagre amount of furniture to be contemporary with the house - at that price! The cheapest ceramic sink ever made and sold in millions and available still for under a fiver, a plastic wash basin and some Made in China furniture and just maybe - too murky to see, a Triang wardrobe. Some other indifferent items.  With starting bids soaring, a real put-off, -and it's funny how it is often the start at 99p items often soar so much higher at the end price, by comparison to the high start ones, - and also so much stuff being given the incorrect attribute, I am deciding that this hobby is little fun these days. In my opinion it really has changed a great deal over the past two years and so many of the people that I used to buy from don't seem to be selling any more. 

June 12, 2018 at 6:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Liza

I still am on my website, Rosemary. Some things are expensive (usually the ones I don't want to sell really) but other aren't. No hassle with bidding and being outbid in the last seconds, and if I sold modern Chinese stuff, I definitely would say so.I don't think I have though. it is so much less hassle for me, too, and a lovely way to keep in touch with people.

--

Liza Antrim

June 12, 2018 at 10:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

I do know that you are there, Liza, since the carefully wrapped glass that I bought from you last week, has arrived safely!

I was actually thinking of familiar names that I used to buy from in the past fairly regularly, and now they never appear. Perhaps retirement has grabbed them. I check your and Celia's site regularly ...just in case there is something that is needed (!) or will fit in. There quite often is.....

June 12, 2018 at 12:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Holly

I just can't handle auctions on 'that site' anymore, the long wait just to get sniped or winning a bargain that mysteriously disappears in the post... which fits in with the topic of this thread they just cause me 'more frustration'. Would much rather buy from a private person or small website where possible. I used to love real auctions but they just seem to be full of people buying to sell on ebay these days so can be just as irritating! I wish there were more little shops like Liza's site. My mother wanted me to take her somewhere to buy dolls house furniture and I couldn't think of anywhere that wasn't just modern.

June 13, 2018 at 10:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Val Hill
If the house is the lines one I think you are thinking of, it made me smile, it appeared on ebay the day after being sold at auction, I can't remember where, I had seen it and regretted not being able to collect if I had bid. So the seller either paid rather too much for it or is hoping for a good quick profit.
June 15, 2018 at 2:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

It wasn't a Lines, Val. but I did see so many from the Newbury Auction pop up just afterwards and of course so many other items from those big lots coming up all the time.......and most not fetching very high resale  prices. When you consider all the costs after the hammer price - everything comes to such a lot more with buyer's premium, postage and packing and then 20%VAT on all that........and then eBay charges......

June 15, 2018 at 9:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

theinfill.wordpress.com

It sounds v lowering all round really.  And I'm just sad 'cos commenting on others' albums is pretty hit and miss and I can't share any of mine either.  I've been v lucky previously and now it's all gone pear-shaped from this end 'in-a-oner'.  Tried adding to existing albums too but still got nowhere  :roll:  So it goes and will still keep looking and listening and admiring.  All the best to everyone

--

June 15, 2018 at 9:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.