Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > More frustration!

theinfill.wordpress.com

No photos accepted today on the site? Tried a number of times but more of a half load up with no result really. 

--

May 19, 2018 at 8:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Liza

And I keep getting website no longer exists!

--

Liza Antrim

May 19, 2018 at 11:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Sadly that is what a lot of people believe. Frances can't comment or post pictures.The site is acting very oddly right now - all not what I expected! Managed to cope with the temper tantrums of Webs - not mine. I tend to regard it as a spoilt child that needs a good spanking but I am afraid it is getting right out of hand these days.

May 19, 2018 at 1:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jane

Liza at May 19, 2018 at 11:56 AM

And I keep getting website no longer exists!

Me too!

May 20, 2018 at 3:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

I got that when I clicked on a comment that someone had made under one of my pictures so I approached it another way.  But so many members now think that it isn't in existance any more so don't try.

May 20, 2018 at 3:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

WARNING. It is now impossible to start a new discussion since you can't enter the two captchas needed because they are not there to submit. I tried three times today to no avail. Yesterday it accepted if you typed the no captcha message but today that doesn't work. REBECCA! Where are we with Webs now? 

May 20, 2018 at 3:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

I'm sorry to hear that you can't start a new discussion, Rosemary - even I have to go through the captcha circus :( I'll see if I can start a new discussion ....

As I said in this thread on the 17th, I have sent a message to Cimpress, the company which owns the company which owns Webs.com. Brooksey, Zoe and Edel all read and commented on the message before I sent it. I haven't yet had a reply, but it was only 3 days ago, and it's the weekend. I will let you know when I hear from them.

--

Rebecca :)

May 20, 2018 at 8:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Michaela

I'm relieved to have got in and found DHPP still exists, as I was getting Not Found and thought it had sunk!  

Is there a failsafe place set up for if it does disappear, where we can find out info?  A Facebook page or anything?  Thanks

I know I don't post much, its because I have large doll and BJD interests too, so my focus kind of works on a rotation.  But when I'm in mini mode, I love to come here. 

--

May 20, 2018 at 9:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Slightly exhausted with battling with dear, dying webs so apologies that i have not attempted to relist my last forum subject, I do - touch wood - still seem be a Favoured One who is still managing to access most of the facilities.

May 21, 2018 at 3:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Michaela at May 20, 2018 at 9:33 AM

I'm relieved to have got in and found DHPP still exists, as I was getting Not Found and thought it had sunk!  

Is there a failsafe place set up for if it does disappear, where we can find out info?  A Facebook page or anything?  Thanks

I know I don't post much, its because I have large doll and BJD interests too, so my focus kind of works on a rotation.  But when I'm in mini mode, I love to come here. 

Webs are telling us that they hold no backed-up files of the site that we can access. It appears that the only way to save the site's content is to copy it all manually into a Word document (or similiar), and save the photos one by one as JPGs. I've started to do this, but the site is huge. This is also being discussed in the Forum topic Testing here:

http://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/apps/forums/topics/show/13479976-testing

May 21, 2018 at 6:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

Brooksey at May 21, 2018 at 6:22 PM

Michaela at May 20, 2018 at 9:33 AM

Webs are telling us that they hold no backed-up files of the site that we can access. It appears that the only way to save the site's content is to copy it all manually into a Word document (or similiar), and save the photos one by one as JPGs. I've started to do this, but the site is huge. This is also being discussed in the Forum topic Testing here:

http://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/apps/forums/topics/show/13479976-testing

Well, in a way - Webs have refused us access to the back back end of the website. The files are there, but they say they can't give access to a web developer to copy them because of their proprietary interest in the code base.

I have pointed out to them, and to Cimpress, the company which owns Webs, that the code base we are using is obsolete and broken - and I have asked Cimpress to facilitate access to that back back end so that we can have a web developer copy everything. Whether that will happen (or even how straightforward it would be, even if we get access), I don't know. But I'm hoping that it does happen, as I think it would be a great help even if things needed to be straightened out after copying.

--

May 22, 2018 at 11:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Atta Girl!!! You are certainly getting at them!  Thank you.

May 22, 2018 at 12:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Holly

Well done Rebecca for keeping at them, it sounds like they aren't being very ethical but if it is the terms of their contract that they don't give people access I appreciate it is a difficult fight. As you say being protective about a code base that is so outdated is just ridiculous. Just an excuse I guess to not allow you access hopefully a strong letter to the CEO might get some action if that's what you have done. Most companies have a clear policy that every letter to their Chief Executive must be actioned very quickly.

If you are definitely moving from webs which it sounds like the plan have you got another developer working on a new build anyway in the interim Rebecca?

In all honesty the coding framework of  the site needs to change so dramatically it is not a case of a developer just copying this site. I would be very tempted to go for a completely fresh start.

What are you wanting to achieve, a new site identical to this with all the same functionality on a responsive framework?

May 22, 2018 at 4:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Mmm!

Rebecca - do they have the right to withhold access to you as you are the site owner? Anything any of the rest of us post is with implicit acceptance that the site is yours . Surely, to a certain extent, we transfer our legal rights to you for safekeeping and the copyright to things we publish on the site is included. Which should mean that you, and you alone own the contents in their entirity, with each of us retaining some rights over our individual  photos.

Surely, Webs should only be protecting you as owner from theft of anything on your site - not claiming superior rights to you over it? If the host wishes to retain rights over material held there, it should be made clear in any contract you have with them and also made clear somewhere easy forl members to see, as some of us may not wish to give rights to Webs or their parent company over anything we post?

Strange that they seem to feel they have the right to protect things from the site owner ,but do nothing about photos and entire e-zine articles being lifted from the site by others, unconnected with the group at all. (I have seen thIngs appearing on Ebay, Etsy and Ruby Lane that are lifted from DHP&P articles etc. to 'prove' the value of something being sold - sometimes taken out of context and not entirely correctly used - dating 'Triang' houses that are not etc. To be honest - it was through one of those sales pitch items that, realising the item was being sold, I came looking for the article that I then found to be mis-quoted, that I found the site here. So, at least the mis-use of information about a toy Works house did me a favour at the time!

--

May 23, 2018 at 4:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Michaela

It must be very frustrating trying to get through to them Rebecca, I really hope they will decide to be more co-operative.

What I meant was, supposing the time comes when we are all trying to get into the group but are totally failing, is there some emergency place where we can meet to discuss what to do next?   

Hopefully it will never be necessary to use it.

--

May 25, 2018 at 3:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

Ah, I see. Brooksey and I both have everybody's emails, so we would be able to contact members by email, either to discuss things in group emails, or to let you know of another forum / website, etc.

--

May 25, 2018 at 5:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michaela

That's great to know Rebecca, thank you!

--

May 25, 2018 at 6:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Where or how you lead us, I will be following, Rebecca! Even if it means getting a new email address and rejoining the dreaded Face Book - I certainly wouldn't want to lose contact with you, Brooksey or any of the other wonderful members here.

--

May 26, 2018 at 8:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

cestina

I too do not want to lose touch but I am afraid that I will not go near facebook, with any email address at all.

I was wondering about a google or yahoo group perhaps? I belong to one of each for various hobbies I am interested in.   I realise that we won't be able to post photos etc but we would at least be able to keep in touch.

I do appreciate that any on-line presence at all is liable to be open to all sorts of problems but it seems to me that recent events have rather justified my antagonism to facebook itself!

--

Cestina's Dollshouses: https://czechdollshouses.blogspot.com/2019/04/in-eclectic-manor_20.html" target="_blank">In an Eclectic Manor

May 26, 2018 at 2:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

cestina at May 26, 2018 at 2:16 PM

I too do not want to lose touch but I am afraid that I will not go near facebook, with any email address at all.

I was wondering about a google or yahoo group perhaps? I belong to one of each for various hobbies I am interested in.   I realise that we won't be able to post photos etc but we would at least be able to keep in touch.

I do appreciate that any on-line presence at all is liable to be open to all sorts of problems but it seems to me that recent events have rather justified my antagonism to facebook itself!

It is possible to post .photos on Yahoo groups but the groups I belonged to there moved because we were prolific photo posters and the space allowed was not enough. All three moved to Groups IO a few months ago but in recent weeks I've had similar problems to here. Like you, I dislike Facebook intensely. I was continuously harassed by someone who picked up messages I'd posted and sent spiteful emails about them, each from a different email address but clearly a group member as there were references to things I'd said there. When I asked for help, neither the group owner nor Facebook staff supported me. Far from it, FB closed down my account instead of dealing with my complaint. But I really DHP&P and would try again if that was the only way the group could continue.
--

May 26, 2018 at 3:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.