Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > More frustration!

Rosemary

Interestingly I have just heard from a member who actually thought that the site had closed down!  I have  told her that it hasn't - yet - so I don't know how many others are under this impression.

May 1, 2018 at 3:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

I have just read the blog on the new Stokesay Ware site.  It is of interest as it describes how the old site was dying and now this is the new one.

May 5, 2018 at 1:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Rosemary at May 5, 2018 at 1:59 AM

I have just read the blog on the new Stokesay Ware site.  It is of interest as it describes how the old site was dying and now this is the new one.

Did they say whether they had moved to a new webhost, Rosemary?

I belonged to a couple of doll groups that moved from Yahoo Groups to Groups IO and things have gone much better than before. But neither Yahoo nor IO ever offered enough options to run a forum like DHP&P, with the e-zine and the huge resource of communal photo galleries etc. They are more news today gone next week types of hosts.

The greatest value here is, for me at least, to be able reread and find information and the pleasure of an evening of reading a new e-zine. Nothing seems to compare :(.

--

May 5, 2018 at 9:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Susanne.G.

I haven't been on this site for ages so really just testing whether posts to forum work.

--
May 7, 2018 at 3:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

The Stokesay site is www.stokesayware.com and if you go to the blog is says why they have got a new site. I note that the Forum listing is not updating -so it makes it look as if no-one has been on for 11 days....

May 8, 2018 at 9:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

It would be interesting to know how many of us now CAN'T post photos, or enter discussions.  If everyone posted an answer - if  theyare able to - we might also find out who is still looking at this site - it is SO frustrating to see it seemingly slowly dying. I know that there are many other DH sites but none as good as this one with the valuable reference "library"

May 16, 2018 at 2:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sue

Rosemary at May 16, 2018 at 2:54 AM

It would be interesting to know how many of us now CAN'T post photos, or ented discussions.  If everyone posted an answer -if  theyare able to -we might also find out who is still looking at this site - it SO frustrating to see it seemingly  slowly dying. I know that there are many other DH sites but none as good as this one with the valuable reference "library"

Hi Rosemary, I look at the site everyday!  I love reading the comments and I use it constantly for reference.  I don't always comment and only post photos if I have a new acquisiton I am working on.  I feel like I am slowly losing an old friend and am unable to do anything to help!

May 16, 2018 at 5:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Isabella

I visit this site very regularly and have posted photos fairly recently, and yes, I have fairly old technology!  The site is entertaining and educational, and provides inspiration for new projects.  Recently I have been singing its praises to a friend who is planning to furnish her 1930s Triang.  I used it myself to make the porch trimming for my Handicrafts house and rebuild a 1950s Triang.  Where else would you find this kind of information?  Usually I don't sign in - just admire.  Thank you, everyone.

May 16, 2018 at 10:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Badger

Yes, I still look at the site regularly, but because of the difficulties I have posting photos, and being unable to use the site search facility, I find myself turning to Facebook for help and information if it’s not related to Triang. 

A shame, because there’s such a huge amount of knowledge to be gained on here from people’s kind postings and willingness to offer good advice.

May 17, 2018 at 7:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Well I have managed to post some pictures today! Yes, I think a lot of us have turned to Facebook but it's not the same as this site.

May 17, 2018 at 11:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

Wonderful, Rosemary! And I have just sent a message to Cimpress, the company which owns the company which owns Webs.com. Fingers crossed!

--

Rebecca :)

May 17, 2018 at 11:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum
I look at the site at least five times a week. There are some days when posting replies is less easy than others and the personal messaging system loads slowly so often cuts out before a message is sent to the recipient, which is annoying. My lack of photos is due to difficulties over taking pics in the first place, rather than site problems. With my assorted housing and health issues, DHP&P has been a lifeline for me.
--

May 17, 2018 at 4:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Linda B

I too look at the site daily, but haven't tried posting photos, so no idea if I can or can't.

--

:)

May 17, 2018 at 4:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jane

I pop in every other day, and am even hoping to contribute (finally) to the magazine when my new (old) dolls house arrives. I don't often post because I am trying to work hard to pay for it, as well as for things going on in my full-size house, so all my dolls houses are stuck in a permanent frozen state of restoration. (I'm self-employed.) Gee, I hope I get to retire one day so I can really get stuck into them :)

May 17, 2018 at 10:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

theinfill.wordpress.com

Rosemary at May 17, 2018 at 11:03 AM

Well I have managed to post some pictures today! Yes, I think a lot of us have turned to Facebook but it's not the same as this site.

Morning Rosemary - bit early and not got my daytime eyes on yet but did you post photos yesterday as so far I can't find them?  Are they added to an older posting and am I looking in the wrong place?  Would so love to see them - HELP  please :)

--

May 18, 2018 at 2:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Oh dear - they are on as far as I could see last night! I'll check now but have been grappling with trying to send Cestina a private message and now that facility is proving both time-wasting and impossible....

May 18, 2018 at 5:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

SO WEIRD - they are showing just above yours in Recently Added but no comments so perhaps I am the only one who can see them!!!!!

May 18, 2018 at 5:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator

Your pictures are visible Rosemary, but the Recently Added sidebar isn't working for everybody, so people aren't finding them. The sidebar appears to be working for you? It doesn't for me, though it did for a while until a few days ago.

--

Edel

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shero6820/

May 18, 2018 at 6:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Grinding to a halt...... that's what is happening.

May 18, 2018 at 1:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Zoe H
Administrator

Edel at May 18, 2018 at 6:35 AM

Your pictures are visible Rosemary, but the Recently Added sidebar isn't working for everybody, so people aren't finding them. The sidebar appears to be working for you? It doesn't for me, though it did for a while until a few days ago.

The alternative - which has been working quite consistently (touch wood!) is the ‘Recently Added’ link near the top of the Photo Gallery page. It seems to work even when the sidebar link doesn’t. 

--

Zoe

https://trulymadlytiny.blogspot.co.uk

http://grecondale.com

May 18, 2018 at 2:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.