Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > More frustration!

Brooksey
Administrator

I'm happy to Save Greconville, Rosemary!

April 23, 2018 at 3:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

This thread, formerly G & J Lines No 4, has now been retitled!

April 23, 2018 at 3:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Thank you, Brooksey! There is a lot of knuckle biting going on in Greconvelle right now and it is so bad for the wires!

April 23, 2018 at 6:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Rosemary at April 23, 2018 at 3:01 AM

I am ceasing Greconville Tales because I certainly don't want to cause Brooksey yet more work - and I don't want to lose the past tales either. I have emailed Rebecca personally about the problems and what is going to happen, but I am still awaiting her reply. The Grecons are furious at being confined to houses - and boxes - and I am sad because creating the situations and settings gives me a great deal of fun, and it's the only way of sharing this.

Will miss them Rosemary but understand, is a lovely way of showing your collection plus the little bag/folder in one of your photos brought back memories, my mum had one similar kept in the bottom of the wardrobe, she had all important papers in there and as unable to see I had to use it quite often as a child to find paperwork for her.

April 23, 2018 at 7:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Aw, don't give up on the little people, Rosemary. Couldn't they have a blog elsewhere?

--

April 23, 2018 at 8:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

I'm trying to reply to Jenni's Johnny's Hobbies House topic, but the system won't let me! I've even tried posting it here, but it's being censored. There must be something in my text which suggests I'm a spambot!

April 23, 2018 at 1:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator

Brooksey at April 22, 2018 at 5:18 AM

The type of device or the system being used does seem to have a bearing on what can be accessed. I'm on desktop, running on Windows 10. Edel posted some time ago that she can't post comments in photo albums via her PC, but could do via her Tablet (I think it was). 

What did you have in mind by "soothing the frustrations by going back to older tech", Do? I only wish I could!

I can currently only comment from my phone Brooksey - and it's excruciatingly slow, which is not very motivating...
--

Edel

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shero6820/

April 23, 2018 at 2:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

I can't use my kindle for most things here but have more luck with Windows 10 on my laptop in some things. But messaging works one day and then refuses to allow me access for a few weeks. All very odd.

--

April 23, 2018 at 2:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Jan at April 23, 2018 at 7:45 AM

I am ceasing Greconville Tales because I certainly don't want to cause Brooksey yet more work - and I don't want to lose the past tales either. I have emailed Rebecca personally about the problems and what is going to happen, but I am still awaiting her reply. The Grecons are furious at being confined to houses - and boxes - and I am sad because creating the situations and settings gives me a great deal of fun, and it's the only way of sharing this.

Will miss them Rosemary but understand, is a lovely way of showing your collection plus the little bag/folder in one of your photos brought back memories, my mum had one similar kept in the bottom of the wardrobe, she had all important papers in there and as unable to see I had to use it quite often as a child to find paperwork for her.

Actually I did start one some time back, Jenni, but no-one seemed to look at it and then I was able to use the DHPP system again - but several chunks of Greconville are out there. Binkie's photographic studio and the skating on ice.  Being me I have forgotten the site contact - I must have it written down somewhere. Maybe if I find, I can get back to it!

April 24, 2018 at 2:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

OH HAPPY DAY! A new glitch!!!! When comments about photos come in, you click on the link and it takes you to the home page instead so it is more time-consuming to track the comment and picture that it relates to, down. The agonising death throes continue..........

April 24, 2018 at 2:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Rosemary at April 24, 2018 at 2:39 AM

Actually I did start one some time back, Jenni, but no-one seemed to look at it and then I was able to use the DHPP system again - but several chunks of Greconville are out there. Binkie's photographic studio and the skating on ice.  Being me I have forgotten the site contact - I must have it written down somewhere. Maybe if I find, I can get back to it!

Found it! Off to read what you have here-

http://greconvillelife.freeblog.site/Home/introducing-greconville

PLEASE - if you can't keep it here, carry on with the blog.
My Grecons are starting a movement......FREE THE FOLK OF GRECONVILLE FROM BOXES!!!!
I was quite unwell when you started the blog and missed it, so would now be an ardent follower. You don't cross Grandma Jean and Gertie who, though a Coombe Crafter and a Dol-Toi by birth, are honourary Grecons by common consent. They are more ardent in the cause of boxed up Grecons than any grecon him/herself that I've ever met! My life wouldn't be worth living if I didn't join their cause.

--

April 25, 2018 at 2:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Thank you!!! I did rather leave them up in the air, didn't I, when I was able to post on DHPP again.  I will have to try to remember how to post on the other site again. I really would like that treasure trove finally sorted out - especially now they have the new tent. There are rather a lot of "crowd scene" Grecons living in boxed conditions at the moment. It seems hardly fair when one considers how well the other half live.

April 25, 2018 at 3:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Rosemary at April 24, 2018 at 2:39 AM

Think at the time everyone was having problems opening photos and when they could were unable to comment, I gave up often after trying several times, I'm sure everyone follow them when they are able to.  But as you say it will cause Brookseys extra work trying to get them all stored so understand.

April 25, 2018 at 5:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry about your mounting frustrations :( Just to say, I have emailed Webs asking for access to the back back end of the website (that will not mean much, but it's the files beyond the part that I and the administrators can access), so that a web developer can transfer everything to a new website. I am waiting for an answer, and if I don't receive one soon, I will also send the email to Webs' owners, Vistaprint and Cimpress. I will let you know how that goes.

For searching within the site - the Google 'search this site' button needed to be replaced with an updated version, but Webs of course have not done this, as they are not supporting the site builder we use. One work-around is to search Google (or another search engine, in another browser window), for dollshousespastandpresent and the word or phrase you are looking for. This is not ideal by any means - it doesn't seem to search within discussion forums, for instance, but it does find some magazine articles. (It also finds the Photo Category names against lots of photos, which is not very useful.) It seems to find some words in discussion forum headings, when they have appeared in the Recent Forum Posts - but you'll need to click on 'Cached' under the little arrow at the end of the web address in the google results. So, not all that useful, I'm afraid :(

--

Rebecca :)

April 26, 2018 at 8:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Perhaps it is because I am pretty much stuck at home these days, but the glitches don't seem too bad. I find that, with the exception of messaging other members, if I go away for half an hour and then come back, the site has reset itself and works - just as long as I use the laptop or a desktop at a neighbour's house. The mobile devices seem to think they are too sophisticated to take part in anything dolls' house!

--

April 26, 2018 at 12:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

wendy c

Thanks for letting us know Rebecca. Wish I could offer some help or suggestions, but am absolubtly clueless about computer stuff alas.

April 26, 2018 at 1:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Frances

Oh no!

April 26, 2018 at 2:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Tiny drumming of metal fists, and rather louder of lead heels, but they - and I , live in hopes of a future,

April 26, 2018 at 6:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Val Hill

Yes, I'm wondering if our Rebecca has been a swan, gliding peacefully along showing no concerns while furiously working hard out of sight

April 27, 2018 at 1:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Val Hill at April 27, 2018 at 1:24 AM

Yes, I'm wondering if our Rebecca has been a swan, gliding peacefully along showing no concerns while furiously working hard out of sight

That's exactly what I said to her!

April 27, 2018 at 2:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.