Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > More frustration!

Frances

Does anyone have a picture of the earlier version of a number 4? The auction catalogue described it as the pre-1906 version. I would add a photo to the site but as I do not have a PC I can’t. 

April 18, 2018 at 3:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Frances

Rosemary said this in another thread

"This has been an excellent example as to how useful this site can be when searching for information. All this within 24 hours of my initial query! Thank you all yet again."

All I can say is’I wish’. 

April 21, 2018 at 2:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Quite, Frances! We USED to be able to help one another readily, but because many of us can no longer post on various parts of the site, helping is becoming almost impossible. And the Search This Site function, for people to be able to find information for themselves, was lost ages ago.

I don't have a picture of the version of the No 4 you're looking for. If I had, I would have to email it to you, because the only place I can post anything onsite is here, in the Forums.

There really will be nothing left soon, of what was once the best resource for dolls house researchers, collectors and restorers on the planet! This is nothing less than a tragedy. I'm heartbroken over it. If this site was a physical entity - an historic building, an antique dolls house, old document or an endangered animal - which was being allowed to decay through neglect like this, conservationists would be outraged. It might be digital, but just like anything else endangered, once it's gone, we won't get it back.

April 21, 2018 at 7:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

theinfill.wordpress.com

Bear with me, but, being slow on the uptake and big on enquiring theories I'm wondering what hardware we're all using when visiting this site.  For instance, who uses a pad of some sort or Kindle, who a phone who a desktop?  I'm using a desktop with windows 7 of some flavour.  I have trouble on the site loading but can get round it and with failure to get the quote when replying to a comment.  Sometimes it just doesn't post.  But I can, at least this morning search in both photos and forum much as ever.  Is the site happier, perhaps on bog standard, oldy hardware as they match up better?  An airy theory, I know, but thought I'd ask.  Doesn't solve the disolving crankiness of an unsupported piece of software, but it might be nursing it along for use?

--

April 22, 2018 at 2:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

I am desktop with windows 7 too, and like Do, I can do most things but often have to do them twice. But is is an outdated system and needs to be taken into a more modern one but I have no technical knowlege whatsoever. I agree with all that Brooksey says and understand her frustrations - especially since she is an administrator. That's why I keep asking about the future of the site - it is far too valuable to vanish into the blue.

April 22, 2018 at 3:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

theinfill.wordpress.com

Rosemary at April 22, 2018 at 3:09 AM

I am desktop with windows 7 too, and like Do, I can do most things but often have to do them twice. But is is an outdated system and needs to be taken into a more modern one but I have no technical knowlege whatsoever. I agree with all that Brooksey says and understand her frustrations - especially since she is an administrator. That's why I keep asking about the future of the site - it is far too valuable to vanish into the blue.

I agree absolutely and entirely. Being half trained a little in what used to be called IT, I became intrigued and was wondering if, until some solution to the impracticalities of this decaying site can be reached, if any of us might be able to sooth just a little of the frustrations and save the blood pressure by going back to older tech.

--

April 22, 2018 at 4:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

The type of device or the system being used does seem to have a bearing on what can be accessed. I'm on desktop, running on Windows 10. Edel posted some time ago that she can't post comments in photo albums via her PC, but could do via her Tablet (I think it was). 

What did you have in mind by "soothing the frustrations by going back to older tech", Do? I only wish I could!

April 22, 2018 at 5:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

To be clear, the Search function is still working for me in the Forums and Photos. It's the global Search This Site which has gone. My understanding is that this is true for everyone. I'd be interested to find out if there are any exceptions to this.

April 22, 2018 at 5:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

It doesn't work for me.

April 22, 2018 at 6:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

christine jaeger

it doesn't work for me either.. i have windows 10... otherwise it isn't too bad at the moment...:)

--

christine xx

April 22, 2018 at 6:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

theinfill.wordpress.com

Brooksey at April 22, 2018 at 5:28 AM

To be clear, the Search function is still working for me in the Forums and Photos. It's the global Search This Site which has gone. My understanding is that this is true for everyone. I'd be interested to find out if there are any exceptions to this.

Hello there.  What did I have in mind?  No particular thing other than a desire to find out if there is any pattern to the frustrating behaviour, if there was any way we could perhaps circumvent a little of it and help with flow.  If you are asking if I meant anything more 'pointed' the answer is "no", I can assure you.  Just a tendancy to look for a pattern - tho probably, from what you may be indicating re use of tablet being OK, there isn't one.

The global search this site.  Are we talking of the Google powered thing?  If so, I was totally unaware that the one on this site was any better than ones I'd historically come across on other sites, so I've taken to avoiding the use of them as they tend to do what Google wants and I always needed an extremely long search results list to be able to fillet out at any internal site searches from the general mass of results.  I did try the one here today and got the usual of mostly external global results and didn't go any further down the list.  Did it used to actually really search DhPP?  If so I'll persevere and get back if it works for me.

All the best

--

April 22, 2018 at 7:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

theinfill.wordpress.com

Back again.  Tried the Google search.  It couldn't find anything internal only external so I tried again on the basis that it is searching externally only and it couldn't even find Dolls' Houses Past & Present

Oh, and it ended the search lists with Unauthorized access to internal API. Please refer to https://support.google.com/customsearch/answer/4542055

--

April 22, 2018 at 7:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

theinfill.wordpress.com at April 22, 2018 at 7:59 AM

Back again.  Tried the Google search.  It couldn't find anything internal only external so I tried again on the basis that it is searching externally only and it couldn't even find Dolls' Houses Past & Present

Oh, and it ended the search lists with Unauthorized access to internal API. Please refer to https://support.google.com/customsearch/answer/4542055

Same for me, Do. I tried Victory Nelson and got lots of stuff about HMS Victory and Admiral Nelson, then tried Amersham houses and got a whole list of estate agents who want to sell me modern 3 bed semis etc! But the photo galleries list and the members list still works for me, though I can't then send messages to you or others by finding your membershiip page or trying to add a post to the existing thread.

There are other annoying things like the dratted 'Oops' message telling me Webs is 'actively working on the problem' (highly unlikely!) and the Captcha messages, but I still find the site interesting and informative....not to mention a social asset to me now I can't get out much.

--

April 22, 2018 at 8:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

The Google-powered search did used to Search This Site specifically - at one time (long, long ago) ONLY internally! The first time I got external results on it, I was shocked! It was a very useful tool when trying to find info previously posted on site on specific makers, houses, Forum Topics, etc., such as Jenni wanted on Victory Nelson. The results would include any references, whether in photos, Forum discussions or articles in the magazine.

April 22, 2018 at 8:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

cestina

I work on laptop with Windows 7 and have no trouble posting and finding things on this site.   Yesterday I needed to find the link to the magazine article I wrote four years ago and couldn't remember when it had appeared.   I was relieved to find that the magazine index still works just fine and the article is there and linkable to from outside the site.

However it made me realise that if the site goes down, all those wonderful articles are going to vanish too...or are they backed up somewhere Brooksey?   I do hope so.

My daughter keeps reminding me of the importance of backing up my blog; sadly once we commit everything to just an on-line presence we do have to accept the ephemeral nature of this.   So much of what we take for granted is going to just disappear in the future.

(This discussion should probably be in the frustration thread shouldn't it?)

--

Cestina's Dollshouses: https://czechdollshouses.blogspot.com/2019/04/in-eclectic-manor_20.html" target="_blank">In an Eclectic Manor

April 22, 2018 at 9:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Zoe H
Administrator

The site is not backed up. If it goes, it will be lost. :(

--

Zoe

https://trulymadlytiny.blogspot.co.uk

http://grecondale.com

April 22, 2018 at 10:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Zoe H
Administrator

theinfill.wordpress.com at April 22, 2018 at 4:38 AM

Rosemary at April 22, 2018 at 3:09 AM

I agree absolutely and entirely. Being half trained a little in what used to be called IT, I became intrigued and was wondering if, until some solution to the impracticalities of this decaying site can be reached, if any of us might be able to sooth just a little of the frustrations and save the blood pressure by going back to older tech.

The problem is that a suitable solution is not even being sought as far as we are aware, though Rebecca is the only one who can confirm this. I have tried to help but I can’t get anywhere without Rebecca’s authority and she has been too busy with various other commitments (which is perfectly understandable and I am not criticising that). I know we all feel we have ‘ownership’ of this site because we’ve contributed so much, just the other day someone referred to “our magazine” but the bottom line is that we don’t own it, Rebecca does. Please, Rebecca, as others have asked on here and I have asked you directly, let us know what is happening and if you are not in a position to sort us out, please give someone else the chance to do it.

--

Zoe

https://trulymadlytiny.blogspot.co.uk

http://grecondale.com

April 22, 2018 at 10:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

@ Cestina:

"However it made me realise that if the site goes down, all those wonderful articles are going to vanish too...or are they backed up somewhere Brooksey? I do hope so."

Rebecca, Zoe and I tried to find a way of archiving/backing-up the site two years ago, but there doesn't seem that there's any way of saving it quickly in its entirety. It has to be saved laboriously, page by page, by copy/paste or dragging and dropping. Photos store as jpgs, captions and comments as Word documents. I have made a start on saving what I can. The four database albums are already secure. They took more than 60 hours to do! I decided to start to rescue the unique Greconville Tales next and have completed nine of the 94 albums so far. Photos are quick to save, but captions and comments are much more time-consuming. 

April 23, 2018 at 2:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

I am ceasing Greconville Tales because I certainly don't want to cause Brooksey yet more work - and I don't want to lose the past tales either. I have emailed Rebecca personally about the problems and what is going to happen, but I am still awaiting her reply. The Grecons are furious at being confined to houses - and boxes - and I am sad because creating the situations and settings gives me a great deal of fun, and it's the only way of sharing this.

April 23, 2018 at 3:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

@ Cestina:

"(This discussion should probably be in the frustration thread shouldn't it?)"

Yes, it should, but it's the nature of conversations to digress. Frances also has her enquiry in the duplicate Topic, Lines 4, she started in Help with research. I've apologised to her and bumped that one up the list. Maybe I should re-name this thread?

April 23, 2018 at 3:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.