Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Winnings.

Rosemary

V1 SHUTDOWN ON 2018-03-31 is the message that greeted me when I started to write this query..What does it mean? It looks very ominous.

But what I really wanted to ask is that has anyone received their winning bids from SAS in the post yet? Mine were paid for last Thursday but nothing arrived yet. They say Thursday, but I wondered if anyone else had received anything.

March 27, 2018 at 11:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Now I am twitching hearing of other's parcels arriving. I have never bid and had things sent in this way before.

March 27, 2018 at 2:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Holly

I wouldn't worry too much they probably had a vast amount of lots to pack. If nothing turns up tomorrow I would give them a quick ring to put your mind at rest :)

PS I don't like the sound of that message either as the site is apparently running on V1. Perhaps Rebecca will know the implications and it just means some functionality of the site will disappear, not the site itself!!!

March 27, 2018 at 8:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

I had better find out about that message, Rosemary - it does sound ominous, though there is no alert on the back end of the website (as there is when the site subscription is due, for example).

I only paid for my lots yesterday, so I definitely don't have them yet! I have won from SAS before, and everything went smoothly, so I am sure it will be fine. 

--

Rebecca :)

March 27, 2018 at 9:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Well, they say it should be with me tomorrow - Thursday. Meanwhile I am seeing other pieces creeping on to ebay - I do hate to see collections broken up. When a collector has a - say a bedroom suite in it's entirity, it is sad to see it broken up and selling piece by piece,  whuxh makes it very expensive for the next collector to put it all back together again - and maybe impossible if others outbid for some of the pieces.

March 28, 2018 at 3:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Rebecca - I think you should chase that message up - there was more -  with site-owner mentioned. It came with the captcha stuff.

March 28, 2018 at 3:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

It looks as though the V1 Shutdown message is related to the Captcha system:

https://www.programmableweb.com/news/google-recaptcha-v1-api-shutting-down-march-2018/brief/2017/10/24

I think Webs are already using V2  - we haven't seen squiggly numbers for some time. These days we're getting photos asking us identify those containing store fronts or vehicles, for example.

March 28, 2018 at 7:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Great news - panic over, I hope,

March 28, 2018 at 8:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Holly

Rosemary at March 28, 2018 at 3:49 AM

Well, they say it should be with me tomorrow - Thursday. Meanwhile I am seeing other pieces creeping on to ebay - I do hate to see collections broken up. When a collector has a - say a bedroom suite in it's entirity, it is sad to see it broken up and selling piece by piece,  whuxh makes it very expensive for the next collector to put it all back together again - and maybe impossible if others outbid for some of the pieces.

Glad your stuff is on it's way Rosemary! I agree it is a shame to see the furniture sets broken up destroys history that way and not really necessary, just greed. Reminds me of the Star Trek race who's god was 'profit'. Very frustrating for a buyer trying to bid on split lots like that you usually end up with just one or two pieces and never feel the same way about it when you know it could have been a set...

https://www.bing.com/search?FORM=SLBRDF&pc=SL13&q=Star%20Trek%20quark

March 28, 2018 at 8:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Knowing how Sheila and her husband tracked things down, visiting any likely fairs at weekends, and her pleasure at some of the boxed items when he bought them for her, it does make my toes curl to see sets dispersed like this.  The collection would have made a fabulous museum of Triang.

When historic dolls' houses are bought full of the original contents and then dispersed for profit it is a real crime. History down the drain. My 14 had been fully furnished and been in one family until it came up for sale in a London Antique shop - just 4 original items left - a Westacre standard lamp (no shade) A Basset Lowke bookcase and books and two Basset Lowke floor coverings - a carpet and matching rug, so if that was all that was left, the mind boggles about the quality of the sold items. Thank goodness the light fittings hadn't been ripped out! I suppose it will be 100 years old in six years so just think how fabulous it would have been intact from it's early days.

March 28, 2018 at 11:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Zoe H
Administrator

I hear what is being said but, what’s done is done: the collectors or their family decided to dispose of the collection at auction and these are the consequences. As someone looking for the odd piece from several sets, it’s quite useful to see items listed separately. If they are auctioned on with a low starting price they will find their own level.  As has been mentioned, Sheila Cox put many of the sets together over years of collecting, so they didn’t necessarily come as a complete set to either the original owners or the last owner.

I’m not naive and I’m fully aware that we have less-well-intentioned characters in our dolls’ house waters, the same as in any walk of life (but luckily far more nice people, in my experience) but anyone who bought a job lot of furniture in the SAS auction because they wanted one or two of the items could end up with spares to sell and won’t necessarily have avaricious motives.

--

Zoe

https://trulymadlytiny.blogspot.co.uk

http://grecondale.com

March 28, 2018 at 12:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Zoe H
Administrator

P.S. I received my Grecons from the auction in the post yesterday and I’m pleased as punch with them!

--

Zoe

March 28, 2018 at 12:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Veronica

Rosemary at March 28, 2018 at 11:09 AM

Knowing how Sheila and her husband tracked things down, visiting any likely fairs at weekends, and her pleasure at some of the boxed items when he bought them for her, it does make my toes curl to see sets dispersed like this.  The collection would have made a fabulous museum of Triang.

When historic dolls' houses are bought full of the original contents and then dispersed for profit it is a real crime. History down the drain. My 14 had been fully furnished and been in one family until it came up for sale in a London Antique shop - just 4 original items left - a Westacre standard lamp (no shade) A Basset Lowke bookcase and books and two Basset Lowke floor coverings - a carpet and matching rug, so if that was all that was left, the mind boggles about the quality of the sold items. Thank goodness the light fittings hadn't been ripped out! I suppose it will be 100 years old in six years so just think how fabulous it would have been intact from it's early days.

I empathise totally with your frustration over broken up collections and the profit made from them, and I hate to see it happen too, but it is some people's livelihood and some people are happy to make money any way they can and for that reason their ethics are likely to be completely different. As a museum professional and someone who collects, restores and preserves in original condition when appropriate I am very much for keeping original, or the correct furnishings, with these houses.

High end collectors (my own mother was one and her speciality was artist designed Victorian greetings cards) derive huge pleasure and satisfaction from their practice. Never a dealer or seller, she nevertheless sold the lot when she became widowed, via a major auction house. It was the most important collection of its kind ever to come up in its day. We never knew its fate, but suspected an even more high end American collector, whose family broke it up and sold it when he died.

I agree that in a fantasy world a UK museum would have swept in and bought at any cost the majority of that auction (someone's 'private museum' in a sense) for 'posterity'. No chance! But at least we all had the opportunity to bid, even if we didn't or couldn't, for various reasons. Just imagine if everything was saved and preserved, we would literally suffocate under the vast weight of our historic artefacts. So long as someone has examples somewhere of these houses and their original furnishings, we need to accept that such mass produced toys - lovely though they are and I am a huge fan - are like everything in life - ephemeral and temporary. If we can own and appreciate just some of them for a while and manage to share the delight with other enthusiasts - as on this amazing site - brilliant result!

March 28, 2018 at 12:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Linda B

I have mixed feelings on this subject of splitting collections.

Yes, it would be nice to keep sets together, but as Zoe said, some people just need a piece to finish a set.

The auction was a public event so anybody had a chance to buy.

--

:)

March 28, 2018 at 1:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Holly

I think there are some mixed messages and misinterpretations here about what constitutes a 'set' versus a 'collection'. It is a huge pity that the Cox Collection didn't go to create a museum as between them they had collected what was a very comprehensive Catalogue of one particular maker, Lines, the like of which may probably never again be achieved by a private collector. It is an undeniable fact that when the couple started collecting it's been suggested around 50 years ago these items were younger and more easily tracked down. As age progresses and things deteriorate they become more scarce and sometimes (not always) more sought after. That's the whole premise of the antiques collecting game.

I agree these things happen and huge collections like that do get dispersed, and yes even museums tend to be very dismissive these days and don't always have the budget for massive acquisitions relying instead on bequests and donations then often not even having sufficient resource to display what they have in their archives.......

March 28, 2018 at 3:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Holly

......What my beef was and I believe Rosemary's (please R correct me if I am wrong) was that when you have a nice little set for example of matching furniture (not necessarily a huge collection but items that were clearly made as a set) it is a real shame and a bit incomprehensible in some ways that thoughtless dealers split them up. If they had the courage of their convictions and waited for the right buyer to come along the complete set would always be worth more than individual parts. The sad fact is that we live in a world of instant gratification and people just want a quick turnaround of profit.

I appreciate and consider everyone's individual point of view but personally still think this is a great shame. Many things like this once split will probably never be reunited and that is undeniably a bit of history lost.

March 28, 2018 at 3:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ninja
Well, this has made me look long & hard at my own attitudes, and I have had a heck of a good laugh at myself as a result! Why does an old, dilapidated & unloved & empty DH make me feel rather sad, where a RL house in same state brings out my DIY diva side? Why does the sight of odd DH items make me wish they were still with the rest of the set when I have spent years tracking down vintage china pieces to make a set?!!! And why do I always buy old broken things, DH and other, because I feel they need to be mended & loved again?! Am still chuckling at my own peculiarities and makes me realise yet again how lucky we all are to have such a rich variety of opinion with a shared love of tiny things
March 28, 2018 at 3:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Holly is stating quite correctly what I feel - it's the splitting of a complete set that does upset me. For example - I would never bid on one of those still sewn in boxed sets, because I would want to cut the threads and play with the contents, thus reducing the value and historic interest to many with my scissors. So I don't buy. 

March 29, 2018 at 4:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Zoe H
Administrator

If I have a set with one piece missing and I buy one of the items bought as a complete set from the SAS auction but then listed on eBay separately, and then have a complete set myself, how has this altered the world in any way?

Apart from anything, the Cox’s might well have done the self same thing to create the set sold by SAS. In addition, given how expensive they were, the original child owner probably received each piece of the set shown in the toy catalogue on different occasions and eventually ended up with a set.

I do understand what is being said about splitting up sets and would totally agree if it was something so rare and unique that it was unlikely to ever be seen as a set or reassembled ever again, including Rosemary’s example of sets in original packaging. But I feel the splitting up thing is an inevitability of collecting items that were produced in considerable numbers and that most of us will, either wittingly or unwittingly, have participated in it at some time. Because of this, I personally feel it’s a bit harsh to tar everyone with the same brush in terms of avarice and impatience.

--

Zoe

March 29, 2018 at 6:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

I have readily confessed before to having bought sealed boxes and opened them to play with! Admittedly, they were Jenny's Home or Lundby sets, not Elgin-for-Triang, but the Jenny's Home sets are now at least 50 years old, and the Lundby ones are in their 40s. Sorry, and all that, but I'm unrepentant! The Lundby pool in Deanhaven (my 1960s holiday camp) was one such pristine acquisition.

March 29, 2018 at 9:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.