Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Original Triang Art Deco wiring

Clare

Hello everyone I’m hoping you may be able to help.  I have an Art Deco 51 that has its original lights still in I’d like to try and use them has anyone tried using the original light systems with success?

if not any luck with rewiring?

oh and I met a couple of lovely members of DHPP at cobham last week - so nice to chat xxx

March 27, 2018 at 8:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Hi Clare,

I don't have any of the Ultra Moderns (unfortunately!) but I think the advice that we have given before regarding the lighting in old Tri-angs is pertinent to them. As the Ultra Modern houses are now around 80 years old (in production 1935-40), it's unlikely that the original wiring and bulbs would still function. Also, the batteries used to power the system back in the 1930s are now obsolete. Personally, I would re-wire using modern 12v dolls house bulbs, and power with a 12v transformer.

The most recent Forum Topic discussing old Tri-ang lighting is here:

http://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/apps/forums/topics/show/13469278-getting-original-lights-to-work

March 27, 2018 at 4:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Amazingly the lights still work in my Lines 14 but I rarely put them on. The hall one stopped working some years back and I am not going to do anything about it as the papers are all original - as are the light fittings.

March 28, 2018 at 3:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Christine R

Hi Clare, I'm wondering if it was my husband ,Grandaughter and myself that were chatting with you at Cobham ? { My husband does like to talk but I won't complain as he likes to go to Dolls House Fairs! ] It was a shame so many people were put off by the weather but there is another fair in June.

March 28, 2018 at 10:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Holly

I love to see things out of scale in dolls houses, don't like the perfectly in scale ones at all, I think they lose their charm and just become model houses.

I always think its a great shame when people have to rip out the wiring and all those lovely old bakelite light switches that bring out the wonderful 'dollshouseness' as they are so oversized. I don't have any from that era but if I did I would probably leave the original wiring especially if like Rosemary it would damage the original paper ripping it out and if it had the cute old switches. If unsafe one option would be to find some kind of work around for illuminating it perhaps nightlights or something.

March 28, 2018 at 11:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

I seem to remember that I photographed a strange transformer - original, behind the stairs of no.14, when I discovered the very fresh coloured parquet paper beneath something else a couple of years ago, I was amazed to find it. I think I just shoved the camera behind and pressed the button. No way I could have found it otherwise.

March 28, 2018 at 1:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Holly, I'm not suggesting that "in scale" fittings necessarily be used when an old house is re-wired. If you look back at the earlier topic I quoted above, you will see that I gave Marie, the original poster of that topic, links to where similar new ones to the type of bulb holders and pea bulbs that were commonly used in old dolls houses could be bought today. Old bulb holders will not take present-day pea bulbs because they're not quite the same size: the old ones were made to Imperial measurements and new ones are metric.

There is no need to rip out old wiring and damage original papers. Old wires can be left in situ, and just cut, close to where they emerge from the paper. Fine new wiring running along ceilings is fairly unobtrusive. If it has to run down a wall, it can be hidden by furniture or pictures, or even painted in acrylics to blend in with the wallpaper. Avoid solvent-based paints - they can melt the wires' plastic insulation. Old Bakelite switches, where present, can be re-wired. Of course, damaging wallpaper isn't an issue in the Ultra Moderns because their walls are painted.

I suggest rewiring to 12v because fittings and power sources (transformers) are very readily available in that voltage, being the standard for modern dolls houses, but I did refer to other voltages available today in the earlier topic, too. After the initial outlay, transformers are more economical to run than batteries, and more convenient.

March 28, 2018 at 5:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Clare, have you tried connecting your No 51 to a battery to see if the lights still work? You might be lucky, as Rosemary is with her No 14. The battery must be very low voltage, 2.5 - 3v. If you use anything greater than that you will blow the bulbs. IF they're not working, as I've said above, you will not find replacement bulbs of the correct diameter, because the Imperial sizes are now obsolete, so you would need to replace the bulb holders with similar modern ones. If you're doing that I would use new wire when you're putting them in - whilst the occasional house of this age may have intact wiring, it's much more likely that it will have hidden breaks in it somewhere.

March 28, 2018 at 5:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

The Ultra Moderns should be quite easy to re-do since the bulb holders are placed on the back walls so no wiring within the house. This sudden realisation has made me wonder why I have not done mine up!

March 29, 2018 at 4:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Zoe H
Administrator

Rosemary at March 29, 2018 at 4:09 AM

The Ultra Moderns should be quite easy to re-do since the bulb holders are placed on the back walls so no wiring within the house. This sudden realisation has made me wonder why I have not done mine up!

Thank you - you’ve made me realise how easy it would be to do that to mine too! I could also connect the fairy lights in the nursery through the hole in the back wall instead of having to hide the battery in the room - another project to go on The List....

--

Zoe

https://trulymadlytiny.blogspot.co.uk

http://grecondale.com

March 29, 2018 at 6:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Maddy

If anyone has a house that can’t be electrically wired, there are some lovely Lights that contain their own batteries.  I think it is called LED lighting.  Good places to look are Streets Ahead and The Dollshouse Emporium.  Just a thought.  They can be useful for extra lighting that has been bought after wiring has been done, so there is no faff too.

March 29, 2018 at 7:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Holly

That's a great suggestion Maddy I keep meaning to have a go with the LED lighting :) Not tried any yet!

March 29, 2018 at 1:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

lallyp

When you know how to do the lights Clare, you can come & do mine!

--

Valerie Towers

March 29, 2018 at 1:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Clare

Thank you for your replies.  Im sad to hear the orignal fittiings won't work . As for the wiring I can do that as you said the boards come off.  i shall press on I really do fancy lighting in them.

Christine it was you and your lovely family I met ! Did your granddaughter enjoy it?

March 31, 2018 at 7:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Christine R

Hi Clare, so nice to meet you there, I'm sorry I didn't chat more but I was looking for good deals. I didn't buy much that day but Emily was very pleased with her new mini teddy, he was sweet. Did you buy much ?

March 31, 2018 at 11:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Clare

I didnt , but I had a lovely chat with your husband.  It was so nice to meet other Dolls house people.

March 31, 2018 at 3:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

I have never had a house with lights of any kind.....We are somewhat behind the times in Dolly Mixture Lane, Mayhem Village .....but I'd like to give some of the residents a technological boost that brings them into the 1940s at least. Does this site/e-zine have any articles on installing lighting from scratch into houses that are already built? Or can someone offer advice? I want to wire Buttercup House, the sweet Triang R that Linda sent to me.

I am very nervous about trying...think it is to do with a childhood horror of Birdie, in Rumer Godden's The Dolls House going up in flames......

--

April 1, 2018 at 1:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Zoe H
Administrator

Joan Joyce did an excellent article on wiring a dolls house in Issue 16, March 2013 of the ezine, Jenni:

http://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/issue16march2013p13.htm

--

Zoe

https://trulymadlytiny.blogspot.co.uk

http://grecondale.com

April 1, 2018 at 2:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Zoe H at April 1, 2018 at 2:37 AM

Joan Joyce did an excellent article on wiring a dolls house in Issue 16, March 2013 of the ezine, Jenni:

http://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/issue16march2013p13.htm

THANKS, ZOE!
 I knew that someone would have written one but, though I keep believing that I've read all the e-zine articles and know where to find what, I usually find I've missed one or have forgotten where to find it. (Ahem- age-related memory problems?!)

I really need to read this before I start trying to do the job and end up with a D/H that is as badly wired as our R/L house was when we bought it - loops of flex across the ceilings, under carpets and loose on the wall behind chip paper - poor little house! Five hundred years old and the subject of torture in the 1960s! No wonder it decided it couldn't stand up properly any more.

Will go to read the article now.

Thanks again.

Jenni

--

April 1, 2018 at 3:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Liza

Hi Clare, I don't know if you have already taken the plunge, but I have an old lot of unused Ever Ready bulbs. I wasn't sure if I could find them, but I have. They are screw in ones, 2.5v .3 amps. I have no idea if they still work, but they haven't ever been used, so if they are any use, you are welcome to them. There are 15 in all, and I can send you a pic if you send me your email address. Just let me know if you would like some or all of them. Liza.

--

Liza Antrim

April 1, 2018 at 11:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.