Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > Renovation/ restoration/ creation > Stockbroker Windows Each Side of Front Door

Veronica

I bought a 1930s Stockbroker with missing parts recently, without fully realising the implications. I am slowly gathering the 'right' bits but please can someone tell me what the windows either side of the front door should be like - or provide a photo from behind? Mine are totally missing. They look as if they are just one section of the white opening windows, or were they in a smaller brown frame? I have been unable to see a complete Stockbroker so I have no idea. Hope some kind fellow owner can help me here...

March 23, 2018 at 7:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Those side windows often go missing! You're right, Veronica: they are just the opening casements from the full (framed) windows. They don't have any frames of their own. I think that they show up quite clearly in the photo of Rosemary's Stockbroker in the DHPP Tri-ang database:

http://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=194795254

There is only one photo on Marion Osborne's CD showing these windows from behind, and it's too blurred to be sure of how they're fitted. Maybe Zoe would be able photo the ones in her Stockbroker for you, to show how they fit. I don't have a Stockie, so can't help, but I imagine that they're just glued in to fill the gap.

March 23, 2018 at 7:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Val Hill

The side windows are the casements, like Brooksey said, the metal tab that holds them into the frame is flattened out and then the window is held in place by a pin. What parts are you still missing? I once bought a stockbroker ( very cheaply) not realising it was so infected by woodworm it disintegrated into dust by the time I got it home, there's pictures on here of its demise. I kept the bits the woodworm wasn't interested in, so I might be able to help.

March 23, 2018 at 8:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Veronica

Brooksey at March 23, 2018 at 7:42 AM

Those side windows often go missing! You're right, Veronica: they are just the opening casements from the full (framed) windows. They don't have any frames of their own. I think that they show up quite clearly in the photo of Rosemary's Stockbroker in the DHPP Tri-ang database:

There is only one photo on Marion Osborne's CD showing these windows from behind, and it's too blurred to be sure of how they're fitted. Maybe Zoe would be able photo the ones in her Stockbroker for you, to show how they fit. I don't have a Stockie, so can't help, but I imagine that they're just glued in to fill the gap.

Thank you so much - that's really helpful and I'll take a look a Rosemary's Stockbroker via your link. 

March 23, 2018 at 9:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Veronica

Val Hill at March 23, 2018 at 8:16 AM

The side windows are the casements, like Brooksey said, the metal tab that holds them into the frame is flattened out and then the window is held in place by a pin. What parts are you still missing? I once bought a stockbroker ( very cheaply) not realising it was so infected by woodworm it disintegrated into dust by the time I got it home, there's pictures on here of its demise. I kept the bits the woodworm wasn't interested in, so I might be able to help.

Thank you so much for this very helpful detail info!

That's very kind of you to ask about the missing parts in case you can help.  

I am so sorry that your Stockbroker was so badly eaten and what a shock it must have been when it disintegrated. It sounds as if, like me, you are a bit of a rescuer. We like a challenge, but sometimes our feelings overcome our practical heads - but it's good to have a go.

I am looking for 3 complete 10 x10 cms windows with the casements, plus two casements for the front door side windows. But any window parts, in any condition, would be a great help.

On my 'must find' list is also:

One supporting 1930s curved bracket for the jettied rhs overhang

A side piece of half timbering

A sundial (I have one that has been vandalised and completely scratched with a sharp implement so you can't see the date)

A  free standing chimney

And the steps

Did any of these get missed by your woodworm? Maybe only the metal bits!

Veronica

March 23, 2018 at 9:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Val Hill

I've had a look in the garage and have sent you an email.

March 23, 2018 at 9:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Zoe H
Administrator

Brooksey at March 23, 2018 at 7:42 AM

Maddeningly, I still can't post photos, Brooksey. I have tried every tip, tweak and browser under the sun. 

I will send a couple of photos of the windows to you and you might post them if you get the chance? 

--

Zoe

https://trulymadlytiny.blogspot.co.uk

http://grecondale.com

March 23, 2018 at 10:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Thank you for the photos, Zoe - they're posted. I wasn't sure if it would work for me, because I haven't uploaded any pics for months, but it did!

March 23, 2018 at 12:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Veronica

Many thanks everyone who kindly replied and helped - my query and missing windows are now on the way to being sorted! What a lovely lot you all are - and what a great site...

March 23, 2018 at 12:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sue

Veronica at March 23, 2018 at 12:23 PM

Many thanks everyone who kindly replied and helped - my query and missing windows are now on the way to being sorted! What a lovely lot you all are - and what a great site...

Veronica, I also have some stockbroker parts which obviously did'nt taste as yummy as the main house.  If you need anything else, just let me know and I will see if I have it.  My box of bits is in the loft.

March 23, 2018 at 12:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Veronica

Sue at March 23, 2018 at 12:36 PM

Veronica at March 23, 2018 at 12:23 PM

Veronica, I also have some stockbroker parts which obviously did'nt taste as yummy as the main house.  If you need anything else, just let me know and I will see if I have it.  My box of bits is in the loft.

Oh thank you Sue - I'll have a tally up next week and let you know. It's very kind of you to offer. Interesting that Stockbrokers have bits of themselves all over the place waiting for new glory as dolls house organ donors. A Stockbroker organ bank to itself is clearly called for...

March 23, 2018 at 1:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.