Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > G & J Lines and Tri-ang Auction

Lee

There is an Auction taking place later this month [March 20th and 21st] that is probably the largest collection of Lines and Triang toys on offer at auction. The Auction is taking place at Special Auction Services in Newbury, Berkshire. Day 1 containing 395 lots with many G & J Lines, Tri-ang, tinplate toys, vehicles, clockwork toys boats planes and trains many complete with boxes. Day 2 has 369 lots including 100 dolls’ houses, both G & J Lines, Tri-ang and a small selection of German houses. Also hundreds of pieces of furniture, many of the Period Furniture Range boxed, either individually. or in sets, [Tri-ang Period Dolls’ House Jacobean Dining Room Suite] also a kit version of Period Furniture [Tri-ang Period Furniture Construction Set No.1], which I have never seen before.

The Auction lots can be seen at The Saleroom website. It is an amazing Auction, and well worth a look at the Catalogue online.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/special-auction-services/catalogue-id-srspe10249

March 8, 2018 at 3:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

wendy c

Good Grief!  It's more like a 3D Lines Tri ang catalogue than an auction!  What a marvellous collection - I'd be happy to take home anything from that sale.......

March 8, 2018 at 5:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

cestina

Wow! What an amazing catalogue.   Things there I have never heard of before.   And so many Grecons!

I am tempted just to go and watch.   What does it mean when it says "Live Webcast Auction"?  Does it mean one can watch it on their website?

Where on earth has it all come from - or have they been collecting things up for a long, long time?   

--

Cestina's Dollshouses: https://czechdollshouses.blogspot.com/2019/04/in-eclectic-manor_20.html" target="_blank">In an Eclectic Manor

March 8, 2018 at 5:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Val Hill

It looks like an estate sale, someone's collection made over many years being dismantled. There are some very lovely items, some have been very well restored. 

March 9, 2018 at 2:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Val Hill

Cestina, it's not necessary to go to the actual auction, viewing for the auction is on the 19th and 20th March, a phone call to the auction house would confirm times. Then you can listen to live bidding on the computer. 

March 9, 2018 at 2:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator

What an extraordinary and magnificent collection! Hard to imagine this all coming from one person... Not only are the houses spectacular, there is some fantastic furniture and wonderful dolls. 

--

Edel

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shero6820/

March 9, 2018 at 2:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

cestina

Val Hill at March 9, 2018 at 2:13 AM

Cestina, it's not necessary to go to the actual auction, viewing for the auction is on the 19th and 20th March, a phone call to the auction house would confirm times. Then you can listen to live bidding on the computer. 

Thanks Val.   So it's just listening that one can do, then, nothing to be seen via the computer during the actual auction?

I used to love buying full-size furniture at auction many years ago.   I would probably find this too depressing, knowing that I can't really afford any of these goodies!

--

Cestina's Dollshouses: https://czechdollshouses.blogspot.com/2019/04/in-eclectic-manor_20.html" target="_blank">In an Eclectic Manor

March 9, 2018 at 9:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Is it really all from just one person's collection?  I can't quite believe that it is. Does anyone know? 

March 9, 2018 at 11:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Val Hill

I spoke to the auction house, I thought I might be able to go to the viewing but I can't. They said it all came in together, so I assume it was from one source , and that day one of the auction is trains and cars, so it sounds like a couples collection.

March 9, 2018 at 3:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lee

I would love to go, but my pockets are not deep enough,  May watch it on line though, just to see what they sell for.  So many items I have not seen before.  The Auction house must look like a toy museum.

March 9, 2018 at 4:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Would think there are large collections out there, not everyone has to watch the pennies and have limited storage.

March 10, 2018 at 6:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

If it is the collection that I suspect, the whole house was like a museum, and yes, both husband and wife collected. I had a fascinating day there and came away dazed - and I only saw about half of it all. But it may not be that one, there could be another.

March 10, 2018 at 7:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jeanette
How brilliant, I really liked the Wagner and schon garage and the triangtois houseboat, those were my favourites but what a lotta lovely stuff. I really only have space for my Scottish House, my geebee is still in the hut, Oh how I wish I lived in a palace, a castle a chateau...lol, a big dolls house...
--

March 11, 2018 at 1:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Jan at March 10, 2018 at 6:46 AM

Would think there are large collections out there, not everyone has to watch the pennies and have limited storage.

I do remember when my children were small, seeing beautiful antique and vintage houses going for what was even then tiny amounts in 'junk' stores in London. If the collector started back in the 70s, the hobby was only expensive if you bought brand new things and she would have had her pick of what we would now give our teeth for at low prices.
At the time, I planned to buy one eventually, but didn't think the costs woud rise so very much and didn't go beyond my daughter's tiny house as we kept moving. Now, I often have those 'if only I'd bought' moments!

--

March 13, 2018 at 7:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Holly

There is always something a bit poignant about seeing a life times collection dispersed like that. There is so much wonderful stuff!

March 15, 2018 at 5:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Jenni, don't you believe it about cheap prices in the 70s.  Some houses, because there was no internet or much exchange of information, were very expensive and people would buy because they never knew when they might see another. Kaye Desmonde had masses for sale -both  houses and contents - and her prices were horrendous. I once bought a tiny jug in Kensington Church Street and it cost £15 then. Since then I have bought more but for a great deal less!  Two of my houses cost me next to nothing - but that was luck, I know what one the houses in the forthcoming auction cost because I was bidding for it too but it went for way way above my budget, back in the 1990's and I doubt that it will go for as much now as it did then.

My friend, Molly Fox, did get a wonderful bargain house and contents in the early 70's but, again it was not usual, just passing the right place at the right time.

March 16, 2018 at 10:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jazz

What a truly  amazing collection.

I love the description on some of the lots,

”Dolls House Chattels”

March 16, 2018 at 1:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Holly

It's quite a challenge when you think about it to disperse a vast collection like this that has been someone's life and joy and obviously the results of many years avid collecting. And it is so niche with the focus being on Lines and Triang.

I know there are lots of people on here that love Triang houses and I am not disparaging against them but they have gone out of favour a lot from the high prices they regularly used to fetch several years ago and there will be a limited number of collectors who like Triang.

I fear we may see many of the items for a long time on sites like ebay as over zealous dealers try to offload their wins again at higher prices than any of the current collectors are willing to pay at auction...

March 16, 2018 at 4:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alicia Davies

It’s a lovely collection. A lot in one go. In some ways a buyers market as there are so many lots. Equally a dealers market as lots to sell if they buy. But there are lots of people watching this auction and will know the price the lots go for so if they are offered for sale after that they will know what the purchase price was. It can go two ways, either you only want one or two items from a particular lot so will pay if they are resold at a reasonable price. Equally the market may be flooded as there are repetitive items over time. Will be an interesting auction to watch and what prices are realised.

March 16, 2018 at 6:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alicia Davies

In reality if someone wants a particular range of furniture for their own private collection then as there are so many lots they have a chance it may go for a good price as there is so much. Like all auctions you never know until the day. This has been very widely advertised and talked about.there will be lots of watchers, bidders etc.

March 16, 2018 at 6:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.