Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Talking of Beautiful Houses

Holly

This one is identical to the bargain Mystery Mansion shown in the forums previously

142691175489 item number.

I wonder who the maker of the house was does anyone know? Seems a coincidence if there are two or is it the same one. If there are two and this is not the same house seen in the forums perhaps it was a commercial maker?

--
February 23, 2018 at 4:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum
It is gorgeous! I would love to see more photos.
--

February 23, 2018 at 4:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Holly

Yes it would look fabulous furnished!  These houses always look so  sad empty :( I would love to know more of the history of it. It is so well made it looks professional rather than scratch built which is why I wondered if there are similar houses they may be from a factory.

February 23, 2018 at 4:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

THere are two or three 'if only' houses on Ebay just now. I could spend a fortune if I had it. This hobby has become an obsession. Anyone know of a Dolls Houseaholics Anonymous group?

--

February 24, 2018 at 1:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator
Lol Jenni, maybe we should found that group ourselves ;-)
--

Edel

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shero6820/

February 24, 2018 at 1:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jeanette
smiles at Jenni and Edel...
--

February 24, 2018 at 1:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator
Actually, I think DHPP may be that support group ;-)
--

Edel

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shero6820/

February 24, 2018 at 2:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Do you think so, Edel? I think DHP&P is more my enabling support group than a group to curb my desire to buy that ever-increasing 'last house evers.' Although, i supose that the more time i spend here, the less time and money I might be tempted to offer up to Ebay.

--

February 24, 2018 at 3:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jane

Really? Was there an identical house to this gorgeous one discussed in the forums? I would love to see it, can someone give me the link? 

February 24, 2018 at 3:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Here is another of my 'if onlies' that I am watching but won't be able to buy.:/

--

February 24, 2018 at 3:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Holly

Jane at February 24, 2018 at 3:35 AM

Really? Was there an identical house to this gorgeous one discussed in the forums? I would love to see it, can someone give me the link? 

Here is the link to the identical looking house featured in the photo album on this site:

http://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=16101323

February 24, 2018 at 8:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

cestina

Trumble's Mum at February 24, 2018 at 3:40 AM

Here is another of my 'if onlies' that I am watching but won't be able to buy.:/

Nothing comes up on this one Jenni?

--

Cestina's Dollshouses: https://czechdollshouses.blogspot.com/2019/04/in-eclectic-manor_20.html" target="_blank">In an Eclectic Manor

February 24, 2018 at 10:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Hi Cestina
It has sold now, but this is the only link I could get to 'copy'.
https://contact.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?FindAnswers&redirect=0&iid=112825335089&requested=martnbev

--

February 24, 2018 at 10:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

cestina

Aha, thanks...of course I am now tempted to scroll through all the ebay offerings which I generally try to avoid doing!

My excuse is always that I am still searching for my childhood dolls house that was given away nearly 60 years ago.   I have often wondered what I would be prepared to pay for it if it turned up on ebay.   It's fairly easy to recognise as it had three storeys and the flat roof was a beautiful roof garden...

The other house I constantly have my eye out for is based on the house we moved into in 1973, made by one of the former owners.   It was promised to me if the family decided they wanted to part with it but the message never got through to the younger members of the family and I suspect it ended on a bonfire.   But one can always hope!

--

Cestina's Dollshouses: https://czechdollshouses.blogspot.com/2019/04/in-eclectic-manor_20.html" target="_blank">In an Eclectic Manor

February 24, 2018 at 11:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

I don't think that there two Mystery Houses, it is the same one but came up for sale in December but didn't sell. It is a big house, lovely, but required a good space to display and open.

February 24, 2018 at 1:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Holly

Yes it is a beautiful house but very ungainly and cumbersome in size and it looks much more attractive closed than opened up. I see lots of houses I love but know I couldn't live with them.

I didn't know if it was the same house as here on the forums so such a shame it was stripped of all its lovely old contents to end up on auction again.

February 24, 2018 at 4:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jane

Thank you, Holly, yes, definitely the same house. Did it have its contents then? How dreadfully sad. It is gorgeous, cumbersome yes, but I would definitely give it house room..... somehow..... The panelling on the internal doors, the etched glass windows, the detail and special features are superb.

February 24, 2018 at 9:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jane

I see that it had some furniture when it was on here but not a huge amount, and that the interior had already been 'modernised'. If it was mine, you'd never get it off me, despite the difficulty in displaying it and the size, it is a special house!

February 25, 2018 at 1:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

cestina at February 24, 2018 at 11:24 AM

Aha, thanks...of course I am now tempted to scroll through all the ebay offerings which I generally try to avoid doing!

My excuse is always that I am still searching for my childhood dolls house that was given away nearly 60 years ago.   I have often wondered what I would be prepared to pay for it if it turned up on ebay.   It's fairly easy to recognise as it had three storeys and the flat roof was a beautiful roof garden...

The other house I constantly have my eye out for is based on the house we moved into in 1973, made by one of the former owners.   It was promised to me if the family decided they wanted to part with it but the message never got through to the younger members of the family and I suspect it ended on a bonfire.   But one can always hope!

I too began searching for my little childhood house as soon as Ebay etc. became available. I even searched the US, German and French sites for it.

Knowing that my parents gave it away and then seeing it in a pawn shop with a low price tag on it a few weeks later, has always hurt and still does to some extent. The couple who begged it from my mother as they couldn't afford Christmas gifts for their girls and they wanted a house like mine, but then seeing it being sold for the price of a couuple of pints of beer, is one of the worst memories of my childhood. Given that it was being sold so cheaply and that my mother refused to let me go and spend my Christmas gift money on buying it back on the grounds that 'people like us' didn't go into such places, is the only remaining resentment!

It also means that it, with most of the Grecon family and Elgin, Barton and Taylor Barrett furnishings were so under-valued that the whole lot probably didn't last long. In the 60s, nobody thought kids' toys would be worth anything later on and I was probably the only one who valued it. So it is highly improbable that I will ever see it again, half a century on. But the search led me to this group and to buying my first Dolly Mixture. The rest, as they say, is history!

--

February 25, 2018 at 7:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

cestina

Oh Jenni, how awful!   A soul-searing experience.   At least I know mine went to a good home, even if it disappeared some years later.

I swear the reason I have a museum, albeit a small one, full of dolls houses, is because I am still searching....

--

February 25, 2018 at 8:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.