Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Photos and lighting?

Trumble's Mum

I'm not sure where to put this request for assistance as it neither to do with problems over the use of the DHP&P site nor to do with renovation, but I still need help.

Most of my houses are of the unlit variety. I can't take good photos of the interiors. How do other people light their houses from the 50s etc, please? I'm finding that they results are gloomy if I use my phone that has no flash and bleached out if I use the camera flash. Any advice would be welcome.

Jenni

--

February 21, 2018 at 8:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator

Jenni, I am lucky to have quite a good digital SLR camera, a Nikon 5200, and it can cope with "daylight" conditions in my houses without using the flash.

I agree with you that a flash bleaches pictures, and most artificial light spoils colours. But I do occasionally use a really cheap IKEA desk lamp with one of those tiny halogen bulbs on very dark days and it gives the effect of sun shining into a house. You can see the results in my albums "In a new light" at http://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=15952413 and "Ernst G. Meyer Spielwarenhaus" at http://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=15952413 as well as in the "sunny" pictures in my Dora Kuhn album at http://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=16025947.

--

Edel

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shero6820/

February 21, 2018 at 9:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

cestina

All the houses in Small Worlds are unlit and I have to take many photos for my blog.   I agree about the effects of flash bleaching and so very rarely use it.   I try to position the house to be photographed so that maximum daylight comes in and if necessary, like Edel, I will use a desk lamp to angle more light into the house.

But in general I find that my relatively inexpensive Canon Ixus 175 Point and Shoot camera copes very well without flash and of course the joy of digital photography is that one can take reams of photos to experiment and discard.

--

Cestina's Dollshouses: https://czechdollshouses.blogspot.com/2019/04/in-eclectic-manor_20.html" target="_blank">In an Eclectic Manor

February 21, 2018 at 9:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

I nearly always have several lamps in position each side of the scene to be photographed. Angled carefully to avoid a huge full moon to be reflected back from any mirrors in the room, or back windows. My camera is old - but simple to use.  18 years old and secondhand. I set Macro and red eye flash. This makes the flash come on twice - holding the camera very steady!- and the effect is not as harsh or bleaching as just flash. Don't ask me why. And yes, I take a lot and discard a lot. Natural daylight, unless it is coming in from the dh windows as with backopeners, can make for very flat pictures. My biggedt problem these days is that some of my houses are perched up on things and there is nowhere safe to position the lamps. I have broken a few bulbs recently because of this problem.

February 21, 2018 at 11:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jeanette
Jenni, I am lucky enough to have the same camera as Edel. My house has dollshouse lights and can be lit up but when the wardrobe fitters did my real house they 'forgot' to put the extension behind the wardrobe and run it through to the dollhouse, Tssssschh.!!! very annoying and they were asked so nicely and bought a lovely m&s cake, lol. Anyhows they just forgot... I use a JML Flexi Torch: 2-in-1 Bright LED Magnetic Torch/Lamp, Compact and Portable...This is the best torch I have ever seen...and I bought it for photographing the dollshouse, it, stands up, with an inch to spare in a room, it lies flat, Rosemary... it has a curled holder on the back that hangs from my roof and frees up my hands for taking pictures and it has a spotlight. Look it up and see what you think, it's under a tenner...
--

February 21, 2018 at 12:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Hello ladies!

Thank you to everyone for the replies. I shall go and have another look at all your photos. You have given me just the excuse I need to ignore housework and 'carry out reasearch' instead :D !

We live in a tiny, 500 year old house, built when windows were small because keeping the worst of the the wind whistling across the mountains out was more important than letting light in. I pity the housewives of those days, with little or no artificial lighting because even candles were expensive for cottage dwelling Welsh peasants of the time.....but maybe they benefitted from not being able to see the dust and therefore being able to assume it didn't exist?

Personally, i quite enjoy the slightly less bright than average interior here, but then I can switch lights on if I need them. Photos are hard to take though and perhaps my camera will have to be replaced. I'll try the lighting ideas you have offered first as my Lumix takes good pics for its (cheap!) type, if the lighting is good.

Edel - thanks for putting in the links for your photo albums. Your houses are always a treat to look at, and I can use my current need to know about lighting as an excuse if dinner is late tonight!

Cestina - I really thought you would have a super-expensive camera! You take marvelous photos and have so many things to show us. Your photos of your museum are very professional looking on your blog. 

Rosemary you are an inspiration. My camera and lack of natural light can no longer be blamed as you, like Cestina, seem to have one of a similar type to my own. Maybe I just need to experiment more but have houses that I have never managed to photograph well enough to show here on DHP&P. Most are still in store, but I have three here now and really want to work on them more, though in order to keep a record of the work, I too may be limbing, perching and trying to click at the right angle whilst balancing a light.

Shame about your wardrobe fitters, Jeanette! Our kitchen fitters were similar, putting sockets in the wrong places and then tiling round them,instead of putting the sockets on the tiles, so they can't be removed and aren't all usefully located. I should have stayed home from work to oversee what they were doing, they were a sweet father and son pair but clearly never actually USED a kitchen, just fitted them and went to the chip shop for food. The torch you mention may be a help in dark kitchen corners too, so thanks for that!

Off to look at little house pictures with my grandson - he loves them, quite the little miniaturist in the making - we use this site for a fair bit of bonding when I baby sit and I don't know which of us enjoys it most.

--

February 21, 2018 at 1:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

I took a look, Jeanette - got a bit overwhemed. The one with the flexi head at just under a tenner?

February 21, 2018 at 1:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jeanette
Lol, I just had another look, Rosemary... Light With Double End , that is sculpture, what a brilliant uplighter...
--

February 21, 2018 at 2:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator
Jenni, are you back in your house if you have three DHs out? Love your musings on Welsh housekeeping - I'll bet those women were VERY glad not to be able to see dust ;-)
--

Edel

February 21, 2018 at 2:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Edel at February 21, 2018 at 2:37 PM

Jenni, are you back in your house if you have three DHs out? Love your musings on Welsh housekeeping - I'll bet those women were VERY glad not to be able to see dust ;-)

Hi Edel We are squatting in our own house! It turns out that Powys council were overstating their power in condemning the house as a dangerous structure, as we proved by having a private structural engineer's report that states that, without having raised one themselves, the department have neither the expertise nor the power to do so. Powys then defeated their own case by insisting we should pay full council tax both here and on the platelet. The structural engineer suggested we stuck to using the side of the house to the east and left the three rooms at the side where the damage is empty. So,we are crammed into the kitchen, utility room, bathroom and one bedroom. My mother has the latter and we use the kitchen for ourselves for everything and just leave almost everything we own at the platelet. It means we can keep an eye on our livestock more easily and Mum can get out -she couldn't go down the steep steps at the flat. So, the sweet Triang Buttercup gave me is living in the kitchen and Bruce bought me a Triang 61 for Valentine's Day, not a day we usually celebrate, but a wonderful gift. Then I just bought the Victory Nelson from Diane P. They are in the utility room, keeping warm above the boiler. Can't do much with them just now, but it is lovely just to know they are here. Jenni

--

February 21, 2018 at 8:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Oh Jenni, I do hope things get better. Dust is certainly bottom of any lists!

February 22, 2018 at 3:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Oh, Jenni! Like Edel, I wondered if you were back home, from things you'd said in your posts. Good luck in your fight to keep your house - and a big boo to Powys council!

February 22, 2018 at 4:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Brooksey at February 22, 2018 at 4:10 AM

Oh, Jenni! Like Edel, I wondered if you were back home, from things you'd said in your posts. Good luck in your fight to keep your house - and a big boo to Powys council!

They are mad, Brooksey!

I just got a call from planning saying that, though they can promise nothing, we could put in for planning permission to knock the house down and rebuild.......If I can't find a loan to repair one wall because of our age, how do they think i could get one twenty times larger to build a new house?!

Powys seems to be run by a bunch of early teens, mentally at least!  Either that, or the planning department are in need of my application fee so they can turn us down and ask us to submit another design or ten at £500 a time.

It is lovely here, but sometimes I wish we'd moved back from London to Yorkshire instead of coming here.

--

February 22, 2018 at 6:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator

Jenni, I'm really glad you're able to be in your own house again, though it does sound pretty stressful. Planning department does sound nuts ;-) Fingers crossed that some sensible person will get their hands on your case and help you find a do-able solution.

Edel xxx

--

Edel

February 22, 2018 at 10:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Jeanette at February 21, 2018 at 2:02 PM

Lol, I just had another look, Rosemary... Light With Double End , that is sculpture, what a brilliant uplighter...

Hi - I couldn't find it at undere a tenner - maybe I am looking in the wrong place?

February 22, 2018 at 1:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jeanette
Rosemary, put this into amazon search bar, it's the exact one I have and it's £8.95.. JML Flexi Torch: 2-in-1 Bright LED Magnetic Torch/Lamp, Compact and Portable there are others there but you can also find them a bit dearer on the jml website
--

February 22, 2018 at 2:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Linda B

What a terrible position to be in Jenni.

I do hope you can sort things out soon.

It is not just Powys planning that are nuts, mine is too!

I put in to knock down the dodgy attached brick garage and rebuild with a room above.

Yes, but you have to use exactly the same bricks.  These were discontinued 30 years ago and an unusual type.

I wouldn't mind but you see extentions built using totally different coloured bricks that stick out like a sore thumb!

--

:)

February 22, 2018 at 2:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Rosemary at February 22, 2018 at 1:16 PM

Jeanette at February 21, 2018 at 2:02 PM

Hi - I couldn't find it at undere a tenner - maybe I am looking in the wrong place?

Thank you! I'll have another go. I think I got seduced by the sculpture one, like a snake that will sit up and begged with two heads.  It looked great but was not so cheap - well about £11!

February 22, 2018 at 4:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

cestina

Thanks for your kind words Jenni.   I couldn't manage an expensive camera! Today I had to ask my daughter-in-law to extract me from a strange screen that I had managed to bring up on my simple camera and could not get rid of!

Seeing that double-headed snake like torch reminded me that last year I acquired three of these for Small Worlds which have proved to be exceedingly useful for lighting those parts of houses people want to peer into, and of course for taking photos: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beldray-Crane-Portable-LED-Lamp-Wireless-USB-Rechargeable-Desk-Travel-Light/142681522511?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3De50f04739f194d7a9b63995ffc11d417%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D112598256562%26itm%3D142681522511&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598. ; I bought mine from The Works but they not longer seem to have them.   (Sorry about the unadulterated link but I am fed up with trying to insert links correctly when the website won't cooperate!)

Jenni, it's not just planning departments that are staffed with teenagers, it is also care agency offices and social services.   Though I think teenagers might do a better job, judging by my granddaughter....

--

Cestina's Dollshouses: https://czechdollshouses.blogspot.com/2019/04/in-eclectic-manor_20.html" target="_blank">In an Eclectic Manor

February 22, 2018 at 5:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

I am getting more and more seduced by these lights. Thank you both for these links.

I dio have a more up to date tiny camera and I can't use it - far too complicated for me. Waste of money but maybe one day I will get my head around it.

February 23, 2018 at 3:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.