Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Grecon fashion styles

Rosemary

Due to wet weather and a bad shoulder, I watched some daytime TV today. Not something that I want or usually have time to do,

But it was great! Father Brown BBC 1. 2.15.  Everyone seemed to be wearing Grecon styles. The green dress, the red dress, the trilby hat......and even a pair of Grecon ears on the Butler.

Pure joy - and the plot was pretty Grecon too.  Highly recommended if you can do Catchup and have a spare 45 minutes.

January 15, 2018 at 10:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

jenny

A friend just recommended this programme to me last week, I've only seen one episode and thought it was perfect and yes there is definitley something  Greconish about it.

January 15, 2018 at 11:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

chris g

I've managed to catch a glimpse,  I love Mark Williams, a face that can moulded into so many characters.  And yes it is very Greconesque lol.

January 15, 2018 at 4:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Having watched two more episodes I must admit that it was Monday's play that was the Grecon gem. The others were not very Grecon in style. It was the dress styles, especially that special Grecon green and scarlet, the perky hats with feathers and the amazing ears that made that particular one so delightful. And the smart "costume "too.

January 17, 2018 at 12:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

chris g

I managed to catch yesterdays episode, the witches covern and murderous minister I thought would maybe good for some inspiration for a grecon tale.

January 17, 2018 at 3:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Holly

I really like Father Brown it has some lovely 'Dolls House' interiors as well as the costumes, in fact there is even an episode that includes a miniature maker, a bit of an odd story but nice light entertainment.

I have even got my hubby watching it as a relaxing break from all the much more intense drama that is on tv these days. The story lines are always very twee and I like that ; )

January 17, 2018 at 7:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

With it's quirky 1960 feel and well-known actors playing guest parts, I am surprised it is not on in the evenings - it's much better than some that I won't mention!

January 18, 2018 at 3:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

chris g

Rosemary at January 18, 2018 at 3:24 AM

With it's quirky 1960 feel and well-known actors playing guest parts, I am surprised it is not on in the evenings - it's much better than some that I won't mention!

I agree wholeheartedly,  too much violence for my liking on tv these days

January 18, 2018 at 4:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

chris g

Holly at January 17, 2018 at 7:06 PM

I really like Father Brown it has some lovely 'Dolls House' interiors as well as the costumes, in fact there is even an episode that includes a miniature maker, a bit of an odd story but nice light entertainment.

I have even got my hubby watching it as a relaxing break from all the much more intense drama that is on tv these days. The story lines are always very twee and I like that ; )

I missed the one with a miniature maker, can you remember what day it was on.  Maybe I could find it on catch up tv.

January 18, 2018 at 5:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Holly

chris g at January 18, 2018 at 5:01 AM

I missed the one with a miniature maker, can you remember what day it was on.  Maybe I could find it on catch up tv.

I looked it up on Wikipedia for you it was  Series 5, Episode 7, 'The smallest of things'.

I can't make sense of what order the programmes are in showing on bbc at the moment. It appears to be the latest series and random re-runs. I don't think it has been on recently as I have been watching them again so hopefully it might pop up again!

January 18, 2018 at 2:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

chris g

Holly at January 18, 2018 at 2:50 PM

chris g at January 18, 2018 at 5:01 AM

I looked it up on Wikipedia for you it was  Series 5, Episode 7, 'The smallest of things'.

I can't make sense of what order the programmes are in showing on bbc at the moment. It appears to be the latest series and random re-runs. I don't think it has been on recently as I have been watching them again so hopefully it might pop up again!

Thank you Holly.

January 20, 2018 at 5:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

I think that today's episode Was The Smallest of Things. Lots of dioramas, mini furniture and dolls. You could catch up with it with iPlayer.

January 22, 2018 at 10:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

chris g

Rosemary at January 22, 2018 at 10:51 AM

I think that today's episode Was The Smallest of Things. Lots of dioramas, mini furniture and dolls. You could catch up with it with iPlayer.

Yes I did see it today I caught it in the middle but managed to get hubby to rewind it for me.  Good job we have Sky lol.

January 22, 2018 at 3:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jeanette
I am watching it as I type, it's lovely and sumptuous. I do love this high end fashion of daytime cocktail dresses. I do also enjoy these type of programmes, I rarely see daytime tv but I look forward to seeing this on catch up. I am sure that I have seen this collection of crime dioramas as a collection on the internet, a quick google search will show the answer. This puts my roller skate on the stair idea as...childs play, lol. Thanks Rosemary for highlighting Father Brown...
--

January 23, 2018 at 2:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

I must admit that since finding this programme, I turn the TV on at 2.15 daily! Still, it's rotten weather outside so I don't feel too sinful.

January 23, 2018 at 3:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Well, today - with no explanation, there was a huge dolls' house in the sitting room. The dialogue seemed to suggest that it was set in the housekeeper's house, but it all seemed very grand and since she never took her hat off - mind you, neither does Father Brown except in rare circumstances, but I would have assumed she would take her hat off in her own house. The kitchen setting was different too. I can only guess that as someone suggested, the parts are all jumbled up, but I'd like to know more about why there is a dolls' house there.

January 23, 2018 at 10:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Holly

Good points Rosemary, the new series is being shown in order I think but the re-runs are definitely just random. I think that is partly what makes it seem so 'dolls house' as our dolls house dolls once dressed tend not to take their hats off etc! Like in a dolls house people sometimes seem a bit overdressed for their circumstances.

I love the costumes though, the costumier for the show is super and a lot of the costumes are genuinely vintage someone died the other day and I glimpsed the label in their suit. The earlier episodes with 'Lady Felicia' in are great as she was always impeccably dressed although Bunty does well too!

That homely kitchen is wonderful. Some of the other settings and houses sometimes the period decoration is a bit off as you realise that these are sites that have obviously been hired for filming and there is only so much they can change I suppose. Some very nice stately homes throughout the series too! Some of the acting is almost a bit panto at times but the cast are so good they still pull it off and in a way make it convincing. The police man always makes me laugh Father Brown's nemesis yet colleague in arms.

January 24, 2018 at 8:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

My daytime viewing is not too idle, I re-dressed and re-footed my fake Grecons whilst watching the melodramatic murders, I felt less guilty that way.  I do love those 50s fashions.....

January 24, 2018 at 12:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.