Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Like and Share

Badger

Have these buttons under the pictures just appeared, or have I been oblivious until now?

November 19, 2017 at 3:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Yes, they're new - I'd no idea that they were about to happen! Rebecca, did you know about this? The Like button links to facebook, Share to other social media sites. What are the implications of these buttons? Are they something we even want? 

November 19, 2017 at 4:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

I think they have been there for a while, as I mentioned them in the list of Features required for the website, as something we automatically have but don't want. I compiled that list 6-12 months ago (I think?) - but I think I have memories of discussing DHP&P photos on Pinterest before that too. I would much rather not have them, but there is no option to not have them.

--

Rebecca :)

November 20, 2017 at 10:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

I'm not very techno-savvy but I'm not seeing the buttons on any photos. I'm using Yahoo. Could they be appearing only if you use Google? When I couldn't load photos, I tried using Google to see if it worked better and it was a nightmare - suddenly I was getting links to all kinds of things I'm not in the least interested in and my emails to friends had attached links when they received them that hadn't been there a second or two before, when I'd sent them.

--

November 20, 2017 at 12:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Rebecca Green at November 20, 2017 at 10:47 AM

I think they have been there for a while, as I mentioned them in the list of Features required for the website, as something we automatically have but don't want. I compiled that list 6-12 months ago (I think?) - but I think I have memories of discussing DHP&P photos on Pinterest before that too. I would much rather not have them, but there is no option to not have them.

How bizarre this is. Like Badger, I hadn't seen them until today, so they were new to me. What have other members seen? I know that DHPP photos turn up on Pinterest - how does that square with copyright infringement?

Pinterest is another site, along with facebook, which annoys me intensely. I joined Pinterest a couple of months ago, because I thought that I would be able to use the pictures posted there for research. No chance! Hardly anything is properly captioned, still less credited. As far as I'm concerned, it's just a rats' nest of dead ends.

November 20, 2017 at 2:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

cestina

I see no buttons either. Where are they please?  I am using Chrome.  I abhor facebook and will not go anywhere near it. I find Pinterest very confusing but have seen some good things on there. It is possible to make one's way through but I have an in-house tutor to guide me.

What annoys me are all the emails from them telling me I will be interested in something I am not.

--

Cestina's Dollshouses: https://czechdollshouses.blogspot.com/2019/04/in-eclectic-manor_20.html" target="_blank">In an Eclectic Manor

November 20, 2017 at 5:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jeanette
I now shy away from social media as in my thinking...it has now become quite unsociable. I still belong to pinterest as I love looking at pictures, especially of something I'm interested in. Dolls houses thrill me, I could wander about in their pictures for any amount of spare time that I have. I put dhpp into pinterest seach engine on pinterest and it appears to be political boxes and there are only a few. When you put Dolls houses past and present in there are 8 boxes including Brookseys. It's easy to say we could put our own box in there but I wouldn't enjoy that, I really like being here in dhpp, the real deal, surrounded by lovers of miniature and not just picture collectors, even if a lot of the time I don't post as I'm doing now. I've never posted pictures on pinterest or any other sites from here that I haven't taken myself but I may have picked them up as others do from the original person who lifted it from this site...
--

November 21, 2017 at 2:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Badger

I think that once anything goes on the Internet, you’ve lost control of it, and you have to accept that.

IMO, it’s a small price to pay for the instant access to the enormous wealth of information about EVERYTHING! As long as you’re not using someone’s image for commercial gain, I think it’s ‘fair dos’ as we say here.

I certainly wouldn’t post anything I was wanting to keep a grip of. I like Facebook because of its immediacy and fast pace. I’ve found it perfectly controllable - I don’t see anything I don’t want to because I block it, and I’ve had much help from strangers, when trying to get a vintage sewing machine going.

November 21, 2017 at 4:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Pinterest baffles me - lots of nice dh pictures and no information - or wrong info. since Triang/Lines 12 is in as a German dolls' house. I get a shock when I see my own photos on there - lifted from DHP&P - but recently I am being sent all sorts of bilge of which I am not interested in. Unfortunately if you open something on line, all sorts of weird things start creeping in too, uninvited.

Rebecca - still no news from you as to our future on this, the best site of all! Have you found a new host site. please?

November 21, 2017 at 5:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Pintrest is another world!

Some people put just their own photos on there - they tend to be people who want someone to click the link under them so they get another customer to buy their wares or another reader for their blog. Other people just borrow on from those who have already, to my mind, stolen photos from the photographer.

Once out in the ether, all photos are fair game. You can't stop them being passed around. Not even watermarking your pics saves them as nobody is properly policing Pintrest and the other social media sites. Google encourages this in order to dominate the internet. That is why my grandson is never shown anywhere on-line - his parents want him to be able to make the decision regarding hiso wn privacy when he is old enough to make it for himself.

I do have a Pintrest account and have found it very useful for info about gardening, DIY etc. offered by bloggers and businesses who choose to extend into Pintrest, but wish I had a way of knowing if the other lovely pics had been voluntarily offered by their owners.

A friend of mine shocked me when she made Christmas cards last year by just lifting things from there and printing them up, then claiming they were all her own work. I still think she indulged in theft of intellectual property, as many were illustrations by an artist and she didn't even give credit to him for them.

I am not sure we will ever find a host that doesn't allow Facebook and Pintrest to invade us. In theory, if a photo is original to us and we mark it 'property of ...' it shouldn't get through to social media outlets, but often such things do. Some of my Zwergnase and Sasha dolls are floating around Pintrest without my permision. It doesn't worry me too much as they were originally on my blog which was open to all readers, so hardly private, but for other people this is insulting and upsetting.

--

November 21, 2017 at 8:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

theinfill.wordpress.com

I'm not seeing any like/share buttons either or I'm not looking in the right place.  Am using Firefox as browser with Google as search engine most of the time.  Pinterest is a subject I shouldn't get started on as had membership and closed membership because there were a lot of coincidental problems caused which seem to stem from that direction.

--

November 21, 2017 at 10:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

No like or share buttons srriving here, thank goodness.

As an artist, my blood runs cold - or should it boil in fury - at artist's works being lifted and used in the way described by T's Mum.

November 21, 2017 at 11:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Liza

Photos from my book are everywhere now as well as quotes from it used to beef up descrptions on that same old auction site. I do get a bit fed up, but what can you do now? What really annoys me most is when they quote from the book, having copied and pasted from someone else's description and haven't ever seen or bought the book.

--

Liza Antrim

November 21, 2017 at 11:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Things are so universal now!

I was quite flattered many years ago when a whole book that I had illustrated was pirated away and re-printed in Russia - no payment for me, naturally. But slightly chuffed that they had considered it worth nicking.

November 21, 2017 at 1:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Liza

As I was when two of my books were shop lifted from a large bookshop in London!

--

Liza Antrim

November 21, 2017 at 1:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

OUCH!!!!

November 22, 2017 at 3:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

That's a backhanded kind of complement for you both, Rosemary and Liza. I'm naive enough to continue to be shocked that people interested in lovely illustrations, dolls house books, etc would stoop to theft of any kind though!

--

November 22, 2017 at 4:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Liza

And how on earth can you smuggle two of those large tomes out at the same time without anyone noticing?

--

Liza Antrim

November 22, 2017 at 8:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

Rosemary at November 21, 2017 at 5:12 AM

Pinterest baffles me - lots of nice dh pictures and no information - or wrong info. since Triang/Lines 12 is in as a German dolls' house. I get a shock when I see my own photos on there - lifted from DHP&P - but recently I am being sent all sorts of bilge of which I am not interested in. Unfortunately if you open something on line, all sorts of weird things start creeping in too, uninvited.

Rebecca - still no news from you as to our future on this, the best site of all! Have you found a new host site. please?

Hi Rosemary, I answered on the Thank You discussion thread a couple of days ago, where I saw your question - as far as I can answer, yet!

--

Rebecca :)

November 22, 2017 at 11:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Apologies - I must have missed it and will chase it up. Quite often the latest contributor to comment does not get their name updated for hours snd so gets missed.

November 22, 2017 at 12:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.