Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Original Triangs

Sue

Hi

As I have posted elsewhere, I still have my childhood Triang no 62 but sadly, non of the furniture. I'm searching ebay to try to replace the items that I had enjoyed playing with a child. My limited research so far (I'm new to dolls house renovation) leads me to believe that most of my furniture was Dol-Toi.

The dolls house I have was already pre-used when I was given it for Christmas around 1969/1970. Although I added a few bits of furniture throughout my childhood, the majority came with the house that magical Christmas.

This has led me to wonder, when the house was new, would it have been sold furnished or did Triang sell their houses empty for the new owner to furnish?

Any help gratefully recieved.

Thanks Sue

November 18, 2017 at 9:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Vacant possession was the usual sale, Sue.

November 18, 2017 at 9:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

All Tri-ang houses were sold without furniture, Sue. 

November 18, 2017 at 9:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sue

Thank you for the replies Rosemary and Brooksey. Setting a little girl up with her first dolls house would have been quite an investment then!

November 18, 2017 at 12:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Sue at November 18, 2017 at 12:03 PM

Thank you for the replies Rosemary and Brooksey. Setting a little girl up with her first dolls house would have been quite an investment then!

Indeed it was! I had my childhood Tri-ang U from Father Christmas in 1962. All the furniture was "Spot-On" - not cheap! With hindsight, I think my grandparents, great-gran, aunts and uncles had all been approached by FC to each buy a room's-worth of furniture for it. I was a very lucky girl that Christmas, because I got the garden swing hammock, sun lounger, wheelbarrow and garden tools as well!

November 18, 2017 at 9:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

WOW! FC was never that kind to me.

November 19, 2017 at 3:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

I wonder how many of us remember the moment when we found our very first dolls' house waiting for us as the most magical Christmas of our lives? The old gentleman in red even thought to hang tiny paper chains and leave me the tiniest ever mince pie and glass of milk by the bottle brush tree in the corner. How that mince pie was baked with one spiced raisin in it and why I got one from Father Christmas instead of having to give HIM one, has always been a mystery to me.

--

November 19, 2017 at 4:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alice

Oh yes, that magical Christmas when the dolls house arrived...

I woke to find a Galt Roger Limbrick house on the floor of my bedroom, and in each room, Santa had placed a box of Galt furniture...

And since I only had brothers, Santa put a couple of dolls in each of their stockings in case it would persuade them to play with me.  It didn't really work as they each gave me their dolls - probably on Christmas day as I recall...no interest whatsoever...

Happy days!

--

November 19, 2017 at 5:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Linda B

FC bought me a dolls house for Christmas 1960.  I only recently found out it was a Hobbies bungalow furnished with Kleeware.  Many years later I found out my Uncle built it up first.

He is still going strong at 96!

--

:)

November 19, 2017 at 6:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator

Trumble's Mum at November 19, 2017 at 4:36 AM

I wonder how many of us remember the moment when we found our very first dolls' house waiting for us as the most magical Christmas of our lives? The old gentleman in red even thought to hang tiny paper chains and leave me the tiniest ever mince pie and glass of milk by the bottle brush tree in the corner. How that mince pie was baked with one spiced raisin in it and why I got one from Father Christmas instead of having to give HIM one, has always been a mystery to me.

What wonderful and delightful details Jenni, you must have had very loving, imaginative and creative parents.

--

Edel

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shero6820/

November 19, 2017 at 7:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator

My first dolls' houses was a Gee Bee DH10C, and it was under the Christmas tree in 1974, when I had just turned six. I was very disappointed that it came unfurnished, and Santa's budget hadn't stretched to any accessories or furniture.

After initial unsatisfactory experiments with furniture made from Lego I discovered the limitless potential of matchboxes, cardboard, glue and paint and never looked back. So it was perhaps providential that that first house came unfurnished!

--

Edel

November 19, 2017 at 7:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Rosemary at November 19, 2017 at 3:32 AM

WOW! FC was never that kind to me.

He didn't stop my mother giving it all away when I was 13, though!

In fairness to my poor mother, I have to say that without its loss I wouldn't have had the magic all over again, 26 years ago come December, when FC brought me that treasured oddity, the Shukers' cottage, which ultimately led to my current collection, this site and some lovely DH friends!  

November 19, 2017 at 8:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

What wonderful Christmas stories! I can just imagine the wonder of seeing tiny paper chains and a tiny mince pie! I have only hazy memories of our childhood dolls house, and I don't think it came for Christmas ....although I don't have clear memories of many Christmases, except the ones spent in England when I was 9 and 12 - and the one just before my Australian grandfather died, just before I turned 8. It's lovely to hear of such special Christmas deliveries!

--

Rebecca :)

November 19, 2017 at 9:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Freda Knight
When I was little, Father Christmas (AKA Dad) made me a 'bungalow'. Not one of the 'hobbies' variety which are still around today. He made it to his own specifications. It had two rooms, a window in each, and outside an door (which opened outwards) and an inside door. It opened by pulling down the back. It had Perspex windows with wooden sills, a fireplace that glowed with red glitter, and lino and wallpaper. He made all the furniture himself. It was all larger than 1/12th - house dimensions and furniture. There was a switch and I could turn on the lights. On a winters night, the bungalow lit up and looked wonderful and gave me years of enjoyment. Sadly, as I grew out of it (so to speak) - the house was put in our back yard where the neighbour's cat, Smokey, used to climb in, curl up and fall asleep. Happy memories.
November 19, 2017 at 9:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sue

Up until the Christmas I got the dolls house, Santa had delivered presents to our bedrooms. Funnily enough he didn't that year. I assumed he hadn't been but I was told he might have put the presents downstairs. I opened the living room door, the room was in total darkness but the bedroom lights of my dolls house were on. It was such a memorable moment. It never occured to me that my mum knew so much about the contents of the house and explained what everything was, that the bathroom was at the far end of the bedroom rather than in a separate room etc. Happy, happy days.

November 19, 2017 at 2:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

cestina

You can see my first dolls house in the picture. Christmas 1945, just before my fourth birthday.   Made by a local carpenter with handmade furnishings produced by my ever-inventive mother. I was entranced from the word go. Sadly the Christmas tree - floor to ceiling - is out of sight in the photo.   I adored the house and was heartbroken when it vanished, to reappear on my eighth birthday with an added storey and a wonderful roof garden.   I am still looking for it - my mother gave it away when I was about 18 and no longer living at home.

--

Cestina's Dollshouses: https://czechdollshouses.blogspot.com/2019/04/in-eclectic-manor_20.html" target="_blank">In an Eclectic Manor

November 19, 2017 at 5:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

I find it amazing that parents went to so much trouble over the Father Christmas routine to do with dolls' houses. It is so hard to believe my authoritarian father, born in 1921 but a sort of refugee from the 1800s, took the time to make me one at all, let alone add the Christmas decorations, find a way to make the tiny but realistic hoofprints on the roof and persuade dear Auntie Mary to make that tiny pie. But then, dolls' houses work their magic on most people, don't they? 

--

November 20, 2017 at 9:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator

Freda Knight at November 19, 2017 at 9:47 AM

When I was little, Father Christmas (AKA Dad) made me a 'bungalow'. Not one of the 'hobbies' variety which are still around today. He made it to his own specifications. It had two rooms, a window in each, and outside an door (which opened outwards) and an inside door. It opened by pulling down the back. It had Perspex windows with wooden sills, a fireplace that glowed with red glitter, and lino and wallpaper. He made all the furniture himself. It was all larger than 1/12th - house dimensions and furniture. There was a switch and I could turn on the lights. On a winters night, the bungalow lit up and looked wonderful and gave me years of enjoyment. Sadly, as I grew out of it (so to speak) - the house was put in our back yard where the neighbour's cat, Smokey, used to climb in, curl up and fall asleep. Happy memories.

Lucky you - and lucky cat!  :)

--

Edel

November 20, 2017 at 10:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.