Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Telegraph Article

Badger

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/creating-tiny-toys-make-home-miniature-world/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_em

An article in The Telegraph on Sunday, about miniatures/DHs. I have linked to it on a couple of Facebook pages, so I apologise for the repetition, for some. I just thought it was nice to see in a newspaper!

If the link doesn’t work, put ‘Make Yourself at Home in a Miniature World’ into the search box on the Telegraph website.

November 8, 2017 at 1:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

theinfill.wordpress.com

Thanks for the link - good to see the comment that concentrating on the small makes you slow down - good advice ;)

--

November 9, 2017 at 2:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Thank you for the link.

November 9, 2017 at 3:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator

That's a lovely article, thank you for the link Badger.

I found myself saying "yes, yes" to every sentence. Lucky lady - it looks like she has several boxbacks, and the red double decker bus in the first picture looks most desirable too. As do the lovely lurchers lounging in front of the dolls' houses.

--

Edel

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shero6820/

November 9, 2017 at 9:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Badger

Yes Edel - I thought of you and your wonderful makes!  Also, it was interesting to see such an article in the paper - most unusual and welcome. I have requested the book from the library.

November 9, 2017 at 11:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sue

On reading this forum, I immediately ordered the book "Miss Violet's Doll's House" from Amazon.  It has arrived this morning and on quickly looking through I can see that it is an absolutely delightful book.  I am so looking forward to settling down with it later today but I think it is a delightful book for young and old alike, lovely quality and beautifully illustrated with vintage and antique dolls house items. I can highly recommend it as a Christmas gift. Thank you Badger for bringing it to my attention.

November 11, 2017 at 5:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Badger

Oh, I’m glad to read that Sue - I’m looking forward to seeing it now. Derbyshire Libraries are usually very quick with requests. They even obtained Liza Antrim’s book from a London library for me to see before I bought a copy. 

Perhaps I’ll just do a cursory skim through, and order it for a leisurely read over Christmas.

November 11, 2017 at 7:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

My husband bought this book for me when our latest attempt to remortgage and fix the 'big' house foundered and, oh, the nostalgia!

Miss Violet's house is so like my own first dolls' house, a mix of little pieces of Barton furniture and pieces made with found materials.
Scale is not an issue for her - it is just all over the place - but it is an ivocative book and I love that it has taken me back to a time when I had the imagination to ignore scale in favour of making sure my little people had all they needed regardless of my miniscule pocket money allowance. Right now, I actually NEED to think that way again!

--

November 16, 2017 at 6:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.