Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Sandpaper rugs

theinfill.wordpress.com

Did any of you see the David Neat blog entry in April titled ‘Contemporary Living’ at Christie’s South Kensington – Part 1?

https://davidneat.wordpress.com/2017/04/02/contemporary-living-at-christies-south-kensington-part-1/

So may beautiful things. Some way down the page there's a photo of sandpaper rugs.  I wondered if anyone had tried this.  Not sure if they're made in the example of a canvas backed sandpaper such as you get for belt sanders as that's what the surface looks like to me, or used other sandpaper and ran hessian across the back.  Nice aren't they?

--

October 4, 2017 at 2:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator

They do look lovely - but I think I would feel sorry for my dolls having such hard scratchy carpets! Silly, I know :P

--

Edel

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shero6820/

October 4, 2017 at 10:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

cestina

The rugs are a great idea but some of the other stuff is just stunning..thanks for the link!

Not silly at all, Edel - I am currently agonising about depriving the family in the large Victorian house of any Christmas festivities and putting them (the festivities, not the family!) into some other house.   I have simply run out of ideas as to how to make Christmas different for the Victorians this time round, though I have managed it for the past four years....

--

Cestina's Dollshouses: https://czechdollshouses.blogspot.com/2019/04/in-eclectic-manor_20.html" target="_blank">In an Eclectic Manor

October 4, 2017 at 10:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Love your blog, and the versatility of the contents of Small World. A station! A chimney sweep. Simply great and those wonderful patchwork quilts/

October 4, 2017 at 11:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

cestina

Thank you Rosemary!   The station plus trains went into the window today, after much agonising as to how to form them into a coherent whole. I think it worked in the end - a blogpost will appear next week....

--

Cestina's Dollshouses: https://czechdollshouses.blogspot.com/2019/04/in-eclectic-manor_20.html" target="_blank">In an Eclectic Manor

October 4, 2017 at 11:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

The link open with no problems today, the rugs are excellent, would be worried about scratching things on them, o.k for outside doormat though and no idea how the fringe edging could be don't from any sandpaper I have seen.

October 5, 2017 at 4:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

cestina at October 4, 2017 at 11:44 AM

Thank you Rosemary!   The station plus trains went into the window today, after much agonising as to how to form them into a coherent whole. I think it worked in the end - a blogpost will appear next week....

The blanket also look superb I thought.

October 5, 2017 at 4:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

theinfill.wordpress.com

Jan at October 5, 2017 at 4:19 AM

The link open with no problems today, the rugs are excellent, would be worried about scratching things on them, o.k for outside doormat though and no idea how the fringe edging could be don't from any sandpaper I have seen.

Not sure Jan if you're talking about the sandpaper rugs but if so, the belt sander strips are not sand covered like normal sandpaper but are a bit like rough polymer paint or something slightly plasticised.  The paint/whatever it is surface is sprayed onto a canvas so the fringes I should imagine could be made form flaking off the spray possibly(?)  I'll 'liberate' one from S's work store and have a play around I think to try to work that out and I'll get back to you :)

--

October 5, 2017 at 10:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator

cestina at October 4, 2017 at 10:06 AM

The rugs are a great idea but some of the other stuff is just stunning..thanks for the link!

Not silly at all, Edel - I am currently agonising about depriving the family in the large Victorian house of any Christmas festivities and putting them (the festivities, not the family!) into some other house.   I have simply run out of ideas as to how to make Christmas different for the Victorians this time round, though I have managed it for the past four years....

I love the blog, especially the beautiful quilts and the Czech village house. I worked in Prague for a short while in 1993 so it really strikes a chord. Is it furnished inside yet?

--

Edel

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shero6820/

October 6, 2017 at 2:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

theinfill.wordpress.com at October 5, 2017 at 10:10 AM

Jan at October 5, 2017 at 4:19 AM

Not sure Jan if you're talking about the sandpaper rugs but if so, the belt sander strips are not sand covered like normal sandpaper but are a bit like rough polymer paint or something slightly plasticised.  The paint/whatever it is surface is sprayed onto a canvas so the fringes I should imagine could be made form flaking off the spray possibly(?)  I'll 'liberate' one from S's work store and have a play around I think to try to work that out and I'll get back to you :)

I see having never used a belt sander had no idea they were like that, would be fine then, it always amazes me the fantastic results that can be achieved with all the different materials.

October 7, 2017 at 2:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

cestina

Edel at October 6, 2017 at 2:00 AM

cestina at October 4, 2017 at 10:06 AM

I love the blog, especially the beautiful quilts and the Czech village house. I worked in Prague for a short while in 1993 so it really strikes a chord. Is it furnished inside yet?

My blog seems to have got tangled up in the sandpaper rugs! Sorry everyone....

Yes it is Edel and your question makes me realise I have never done a proper blogpost on it. I will take some photos before I leave for the UK in a couple of weeks and that will give me a blog subject for the winter months when it is hard to focus on Small Worlds, a thousand kilometres away....

--

October 7, 2017 at 7:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

We often end up with two different topics going and think that is just like real conversations and makes it all the more interesting.

October 10, 2017 at 5:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.