Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Strange link ups

Val Hill

has anyone ever noticed how odd some of the links Ebay puts onto items? For instance, this morning I was looking at kitchen range cookers, and EBay suggested for related items Garden Sheds. When I was in 'my Ebay' looking at my watched items, it brought up 'you are watching' a set of musical instruments, you might be interested in a set of plastic windows! Enyone else has any odd link ups or can see any logic in it?

September 26, 2017 at 1:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

EBay is acting very oddly and annoyingly, rather like this site. I blame it all on the N. Koreans trying to annoy Mr Trump. Logic? What logic?

September 26, 2017 at 4:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

I put in a search for a wooden building blocks for my grandson  and got awhole range of horse grooming equipment......

--

September 26, 2017 at 11:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

See what I mean?

September 26, 2017 at 1:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

cestina

There are clear links(set and set, blocks and mounting blocks) so I don't think it's the North Koreans, Rosemary. Though I have to confess that I can't see the connection between sheds and ranges...

It would make a good on-line game, working out the links.... :)

--

Cestina's Dollshouses: https://czechdollshouses.blogspot.com/2019/04/in-eclectic-manor_20.html" target="_blank">In an Eclectic Manor

September 26, 2017 at 1:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Rather like "Mornington Crescent"!

September 26, 2017 at 1:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

cestina

Exactly!

--

Cestina's Dollshouses: https://czechdollshouses.blogspot.com/2019/04/in-eclectic-manor_20.html" target="_blank">In an Eclectic Manor

September 26, 2017 at 1:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

cestina at September 26, 2017 at 1:29 PM

There are clear links(set and set, blocks and mounting blocks) so I don't think it's the North Koreans, Rosemary. Though I have to confess that I can't see the connection between sheds and ranges...

It would make a good on-line game, working out the links.... :)

Also recieve Horsey stuff Jenny, cos I like Barbour outerwear they seem to think I have a horse.

September 27, 2017 at 4:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

The N.Koreans are just upsetting the weather.

September 27, 2017 at 5:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

This thread is becoming nicely crazy. Made me laugh anyway.

September 27, 2017 at 7:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

I know and have learnt a lot about what horses wear, get special offers on horse coats with a half hood and did you know they wear leggings.

September 27, 2017 at 7:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator

LOL Jan!!

What a lovely wacky thread this has become :)

--

Edel

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shero6820/

September 27, 2017 at 9:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

It will be Melon shaped Hooves next with coloured hoof oil!

September 27, 2017 at 9:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

True though, get lots of other odd links but this was the funniest.

September 27, 2017 at 10:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Just trying to imagine what my Grandma Jean would make of all this.....Perhaps she will be less confused if I allow her to stay in 1950s Dolly mixture Lane?
Cestina......I think the chances of a mounting block appearing on Ebay might be remote, but I'm going to put in a search for one. Who knows what might come up via the Mornington Crescent rules?

--

September 27, 2017 at 12:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

cestina

Fullsize, Trumble's Mum? Many, many mounting blocks but all in the States....

--

September 28, 2017 at 4:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Changing the subject slightly, can someone tell me anout bid retractions? I once bid on something and put in the wrong amount - far too much - it was an error. When I tried to cancel it, I found to my horror, that I couldm't since the date end was less than 12 hours away.....The seller was as helpless as I to cancel it but she was extremely nice about it and it was sorted, but only due to her kindness. So I suppose that was a bid retraction - the only one I have ever dome. The ebay rules say  one or two are acceptable, but i am seeing more and more retractions on some sellers lists.

What happens if a bidder retracts? Does the underbidder get the offer? I have been offered - and bought, when I have been outbid and thought that I had lost the item. Please can someone who understands the working of ebay explain all this to me?

I thought that it was only under exceptional circumstances that you could change your mind but to do this on an almost daily basis would seem strange behaviour and surely one that should not be tolerated by sellers or ebay? And what would be the purpose of doing this? It would obviously be annoying for the seller - and I have often seen items that have sold, being re-listed and wondered why. Of course, if one were banned, what is there to stop you coming back with a new identity - and a new clear sheet?

September 29, 2017 at 4:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jane

I have seen it sometimes suggested that someone allied with the seller might be bidding up to take the price up (but obviously doesn't want to be stuck with the item at the end of the auction).

September 29, 2017 at 7:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Thats true Jane but who allows the retraction is it only the seller or can eBay intervene.

September 29, 2017 at 7:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

By that I mean after so many retractions allowed to customers by a seller can eBay then say that's enough.  I have never sold anything on there so don't know the rules.

September 30, 2017 at 4:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.