Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Irritations

Rosemary

Time is precious so is anyone else irritated by what are obviously "trendy" earings, minus their fittings, being advertised as dolls' house items? So many of them blocking up the pages.

September 10, 2017 at 3:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Yes! It is probably because someone bought a few for a specific job and purchased them in the same 'basket' as genuine dolls' house items.

I asked a large company why their modern duvet covers keep popping up by the thousand when my enquiry is for vintage Welsh  blankets. They told me that they do not have finite control of where their products end up on Ebay and would prefer their things to be seen only on new bedding listings but, once someone has made a purchase of a vintage item in the same basket purchase as one of their products, the computerised system does its own thing.

Try adding on -earings at the end of your request to see the listing, with no break between the minus and the letter 'e'. When I was looking for clothing for my English and German Sasha dolls, typing in -bratz  got rid of those modern teen dolls that, for an unfathomable reason to me, were the delight of little girls a few years ago.

--

September 10, 2017 at 4:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Holly

I use the - limiter a lot too it is really useful, I usually put the word I am searching for then a comma, then the -bit you can use multiple negatives as well as long as you keep the commas.

These marketplace website's search algorithms have a mind of their own and the AI aspect is getting more intelligent all the time. It is also dependant upon what item specifics and descriptive terms a seller uses when selling their items along with customer search behaviour.

It's like google all sorts of factors influence what is shown to you as a customer when you make your search query, such as related items that have been popular with other spending customers or the item that the search engine feels is related that is earning the most revenue (ie paid for clicks for google or sales commission for ebay) and in it's limited AI intelligence the search engine thinks because lots of other people are buying or behaving in a certain way you will.

So just as Trumble says if another customer buys an item along with something else then it lodges in the algorithm memory as a related item so the search engine serves the same items to the next customer in the hopes they buy them. If it is google what keywords sellers have bid on for their advertisements dictates partly what the search engine serves you when you make your search request. 

Personally I wish the old days were back when you just got out what you put in and everything came out in a simple linear way without the search engines doing their own things with such complicated and cumbersome algorithms that totally distort your intention as a customer.

I tend to look for larger things so am really curious as to what could be earrings??

I got an image of someone walking around with chairs for earrings which made me laugh.

Please enlighten me :)

September 10, 2017 at 5:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dr. Nancy

On eBay, I eliminate some new items by checking "used". True, this eliminates vintage items that are so-called new old stock, stuff remaindered in stores and warehouses that did not sell and therefore is both legitiamately old and new condition at the same time. 

--
September 11, 2017 at 1:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Holly

That's a good tip Dr. Nancy I never thought of trying using the filters for 'used' I will definitely experiment with that when searching.

September 11, 2017 at 5:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Claire Quick

Do you mean the perfume bottles made from beads Rosemary. There's nearly 700 Listings of them ��

September 12, 2017 at 2:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

I wasn't  able to post a reply until now - the web site is being really geriatric. Perfume bottles v, annoying, but earings are a different lot and in profusion.It must kill interest from many searchers - people can't waste time like this. Too much dross and not enough gold.

September 16, 2017 at 1:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Zoe H
Administrator

Holly at September 10, 2017 at 5:14 PM

I use the - limiter a lot too it is really useful, I usually put the word I am searching for then a comma, then the -bit you can use multiple negatives as well as long as you keep the commas.

These marketplace website's search algorithms have a mind of their own and the AI aspect is getting more intelligent all the time. It is also dependant upon what item specifics and descriptive terms a seller uses when selling their items along with customer search behaviour.

It's like google all sorts of factors influence what is shown to you as a customer when you make your search query, such as related items that have been popular with other spending customers or the item that the search engine feels is related that is earning the most revenue (ie paid for clicks for google or sales commission for ebay) and in it's limited AI intelligence the search engine thinks because lots of other people are buying or behaving in a certain way you will.

So just as Trumble says if another customer buys an item along with something else then it lodges in the algorithm memory as a related item so the search engine serves the same items to the next customer in the hopes they buy them. If it is google what keywords sellers have bid on for their advertisements dictates partly what the search engine serves you when you make your search request. 

Personally I wish the old days were back when you just got out what you put in and everything came out in a simple linear way without the search engines doing their own things with such complicated and cumbersome algorithms that totally distort your intention as a customer.

I tend to look for larger things so am really curious as to what could be earrings??

I got an image of someone walking around with chairs for earrings which made me laugh.

Please enlighten me :)

There are all-sorts of dolls' house things on earrings, Holly: cups and saucers, teapots, plates of food, etc. It amuses me that these dolls' house items have been made into earrings and are then advertised in the dolls' house section, presumably for conversion back to dolls' house items...

--

Zoe

https://trulymadlytiny.blogspot.co.uk

http://grecondale.com

September 16, 2017 at 4:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Sally Meekins, who produces glorious miniature china, always has a selection of her miniatures for sale as earrings alongside her tea sets and ornaments on her stands at Miniatura and KDF.

September 16, 2017 at 5:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Holly

I see what you mean about the food earrings, thanks for the info Zoe to state the obvious if they are trying to sell them as jewelry surely they should be in the jewelry section, it's bizarre.

I get sick of seeing jewelry findings like tibetan silver pendant frames and similar advertised as dolls house picture frames.

It gets harder and harder to use a filter to get rid of all the irrelevances I totally understand your frustration Rosemary.

I suppose there is nothing wrong with the idea of making earrings out of these items it is just the basic housekeeping at fault when people try to sell them in the wrong section presumably to try to increase the chance of a sale. 

September 16, 2017 at 6:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Zoe H
Administrator

I do like the idea of 1:12 scale chairs dangling from earrings though, Holly, that would be worth seeing wouln't it?! ��

--

Zoe

https://trulymadlytiny.blogspot.co.uk

http://grecondale.com

September 17, 2017 at 6:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Yes BUT have you read the recent report of damage to earlobes - and even slit ones, from over decorating ones ears with heavy earrings?. Most of the ones for sale are minus the fittings and always in pairs - like guns, etc so really they don't fit into either miniatures or jewellery categories. A curse upon them!!!

September 17, 2017 at 6:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Brooksey at September 16, 2017 at 5:29 PM

Sally Meekins, who produces glorious miniature china, always has a selection of her miniatures for sale as earrings alongside her tea sets and ornaments on her stands at Miniatura and KDF.

Has anyone heard anything about Sally? She wasn't at Miniatura last weekend (Sept 30th/Oct 1st), she's not listed for December KDF, her website is no longer available, and there's nothing on her facebook page since April, when she posted about getting ready for the Chicago show. She is listed as an exhibitor in the Kensington catalogue for last May, but I can't say for certain that I saw her there - I didn't buy from her, so I might just be imagining that I looked at her stand, because she's been attending that show for so long. Or did I see a notice apologising for her absence...? My memory is not what it was!

October 6, 2017 at 7:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Brooksey at October 6, 2017 at 7:03 AM

Brooksey at September 16, 2017 at 5:29 PM

Has anyone heard anything about Sally? She wasn't at Miniatura last weekend (Sept 30th/Oct 1st), she's not listed for December KDF, her website is no longer available, and there's nothing on her facebook page since April, when she posted about getting ready for the Chicago show. She is listed as an exhibitor in the Kensington catalogue for last May, but I can't say for certain that I saw her there - I didn't buy from her, so I might just be imagining that I looked at her stand, because she's been attending that show for so long. Or did I see a notice apologising for her absence...? My memory is not what it was!

Partly answering my own query: there's feedback on her Etsy page up to the end of July this year, but a flash there says that she is "taking a short break".

October 6, 2017 at 7:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Yes the earrings and the perfume bottles Claire mentions did put me off and actually forgot what I was looking for.

October 7, 2017 at 2:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

I am afraid that when a lot of almost identical stuff - like old magazines, wallpaper designs, etc. go on, it must kilj trade for more interesting things. I am like Jan and forget what I was looking for and just go off line.

October 8, 2017 at 3:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

If the earrings, perfume bottles, old magazines, wallpaper designs etc are new, selecting Used would show far fewer listings, making it easier to see what's there. Of course, if you want to look for new things, that doesn't really help ...

Apart from refining the search using the Condition options (New, Used, Not Specified), it is also possible to use the Advanced Search options to exclude particular sellers from your search. So if you find which sellers are listing all the earrings, old magazines, etc, you could put their seller names in the Advanced Search options for Sellers - Only Show Items From - Specific sellers - Exclude.

Mind you, I was trying to exclude sellers who list fairy garden stuff on Australian ebay, and although the products were identical, I found so many seller names that they overwhelmed that search option! But it's OK to exclude about 7-8 sellers.

--

Rebecca :)

October 8, 2017 at 12:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Thanks, Rebecca, I will give it a go before I lost the will to live.

October 8, 2017 at 1:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.