Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Newby Hall Yorkshire Dolls House collection

Holly

Just wanted to share that I had a lovely day out today at Newby Hall. My husband took me as a suprise day out which was very good of him as he certainly doesn't share my passion for small things ;)

The dolls house collection is super and I bought the companion book afterwards which I am half way through and really enjoying at the moment.

I am sure lots of people have been already but I would definitely recommend it if you haven't it's nowhere near as vast of course as Bethnal Green but it is a very good showing!

I would have liked there to have been more antique dolls houses as the collection is mainly modern(ish) houses but they are all beautifully decorated with some great themes.

I particularly enjoyed the idea of the house that was made in 'Woodwork for Beginners' I bet the tutor was a bit overwhelmed!

Has anyone else visited recently?

August 31, 2017 at 6:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michaela

What a lovely hubby you have Holly to plan that as a surprise for you.  I can imagine what an enjoyable day out it was.  I haven't been but I have the book and the CD with the extra photos, both of which are wonderful.

--

September 1, 2017 at 2:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Holly

Hi Michaela, I didn't get the cd wish I had now : ) I took loads of photos when there though.  I hope you manage to visit one day it is a really nice Dolls House museum to see and well worth the trip. It is always nice to see things in real life I spend so much time looking at photos in books and on the internet it is great to see a physical object and get the true sense of it.

I particularly admired how the houses are all made up of a variety of modern and antique, the ladies who set them up didn't limit themselves to styles but just had a huge amount of fun making the houses just how they wanted them giving free reign to their imaginations, just how it should be I guess.

September 1, 2017 at 6:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michaela

I hope I get there too Holly, but it would be a long trip for me from the south-west of Ireland.  Maybe one day.  You can get the CD mail order from the Newby Hall website.  Great that you took loads of photos yourself though, they'll be lovely to look back on.

I've always loved what Caroline and Jane do with their projects, they really bring them to life.  I have Caroline's book Decorative Dolls Houses as well, which features many of the houses in this collection.

--

September 2, 2017 at 9:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Holly

I didn't realise you were so far away : ) My Great Grandparents on my mothers side came from Southern Ireland a little fishing village although the name escapes me right now.

Thanks for the tips on the books I will look out for the other book by Caroline :)

September 3, 2017 at 8:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Zoe H
Administrator

I've been to see the Newby Hall exhibition five times now since it opened! It's not too far from me so I can get there easily and mostly I've gone with different people (all collectors) each time so it's been great to share their reactions and discuss everything with them and it's been a different experience each time. I completely agree that the enjoyment that Caroline and Jane got from creating their collections over the years really shines out. I'd recommend a visit to anyone too. The house, gardens, teddy bear display (Gyles Brandreth's collection) and tea room are all excellent too so it's a very nice day out altogether.

--

Zoe

https://trulymadlytiny.blogspot.co.uk

http://grecondale.com

September 5, 2017 at 1:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.