Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Lovely Old dolls house and Ebay Tactics

Holly

Hope everyone has had a good Bank Holiday Weekend.

Did anyone see this wonderful old dolls house that just sold on ebay:122655664886 A real attic find given to a charity with a selection of old furniture.

Someone has won a lovely old house I would have loved it but it is actually very similar to one I already have so couldn't justify it.

This post has been edited by an administrator, removing references to eBay bidding and selling practices, because this contravenes DHPP membership Terms of Use. See Rebecca's posts, below.

August 28, 2017 at 3:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Val Hill

That number doesn't work for me and as I'm just back from holiday I don't know which item you are referring to.

This post has been edited by an administrator, removing references to eBay bidding and selling practices, because this contravenes DHPP membership Terms of Use. See Rebecca's posts, below. 

August 29, 2017 at 1:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

122655664886 has sold. Search on the number, then check Completed listings to view.

The house is a beauty - the new owner must be delighted!

August 29, 2017 at 5:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Val Hill

Oh yes, strange, the number used to take you straight to the auction even if it had finished. A very lovely house.

August 29, 2017 at 6:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Hope this gets through as I've been locked out for at least two weeks.

--

August 29, 2017 at 9:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Holly

That was a super dolls house with all the lovely old papers and what looked like some nice old lino on the floor if someone puts the time and care into very carefully preserving it. I hope whoever won it carefully conserves all the interior. I am really envious but in a nice way I just hope whoever has it really cherishes it :)

I do love buying off ebay, I bought some really good dolls house books recently and several unusual bits of porcelain and decorative items for my houses that I would never have found anywhere else as well as a couple of beautiful old houses in the past. 

August 29, 2017 at 3:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Brooksey at August 29, 2017 at 5:46 AM

122655664886 has sold. Search on the number, then check Completed listings to view.

Never can view something once it has sold the page just shows quickly then disappears.

August 30, 2017 at 5:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner
I'd just like to remind members about some of our Terms of Use regarding comments. It's fine to mention completed ebay auctions, but discussing the price an auction reached, and how it was reached, is not. The Terms of Use say: "Commenting on any sellers' trading practices, or the prices asked or reached, is not allowed, whether in the discussion forums or in captions or comments on photos. Such comments may have an adverse effect on those sellers' businesses. This could lead to legal action for defamation or libel against the member making the comment, or the site owner and/or administrator." I am on my mobile at the moment, but when I have access to a computer, I will edit some comments so that we don't breach these terms. I'm sorry to have to do this, but we do need to be careful. When I'm on a computer, I will also look at this house - it sounds wonderful, just the kind I love - and probably just as well it was in the UK!
--

Rebecca :)

August 30, 2017 at 9:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Holly

Hi Rebecca, no names have been mentioned. All bidders on Ebay are anonymous no defamatory remarks have been made against the seller of the house. I hope that satisfies the forums requirements.

Any comments about trading practices have been generalised and not aimed at any specific trader.

The comment about bidding activity was in relation to a bidder who due to ebays anonymising practices is made completely unidentifiable by ebay.

We do have free speech still in this country ;)

August 30, 2017 at 10:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

cestina

I have clearly been extraordinarily lucky in all my ebaying. I don't sell, but I buy a lot, mainly books and jigsaws,but also dolls house stuff.   Without exception I have had friendly exchanges with sellers in both the UK and Germany, and many have gone out of their way to be extra helpful.   I have had some lovely discussions with people about what I am purchasing and why.

Now of course, everything will go horribly wrong!

--

Cestina's Dollshouses: https://czechdollshouses.blogspot.com/2019/04/in-eclectic-manor_20.html" target="_blank">In an Eclectic Manor

August 30, 2017 at 1:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Lol Cestina, fhere has always been a worry if they are genuine bids even in the Auction Rooms.

August 30, 2017 at 3:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

Holly at August 30, 2017 at 10:17 AM

Hi Rebecca, no names have been mentioned. All bidders on Ebay are anonymous no defamatory remarks have been made against the seller of the house. I hope that satisfies the forums requirements.

Any comments about trading practices have been generalised and not aimed at any specific trader.

The comment about bidding activity was in relation to a bidder who due to ebays anonymising practices is made completely unidentifiable by ebay.

Hi Holly, I'm sorry, but mentioning ebay sellers or bidders anonymously is still not OK. Our Terms of Use have been developed through bitter experience, and all members are required to follow them, and to agree to them on joining. As I said before, as soon as I have access to a computer, not just a mobile phone, I will edit comments in this thread so that they don't contravene our Terms of Use.
--

Rebecca :)

August 31, 2017 at 7:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Holly at August 30, 2017 at 10:17 AM

It isn't impossible for anyone with a little prior knowledge to identify anonymised bidders. "Free speech" is actually quite limited in the UK - more than most people realise. The UK libel laws are amongst the most Draconian in the world - so much so, that people from overseas use British courts to fight libel actions because they are much more likely to win. 

We don't like to curb members from expressing themselves, but some topics are no-go areas, and discussing eBay selling practices is one of them. As Rebecca has said above, this rule was inserted into the membership Terms of Use as a result of bitter experience.

Members are allowed to cite eBay as the source of any buys, to identify or credit any makers whose work they have bought from that site, and to highlight any interesting houses or miniatures which they have seen listed.

August 31, 2017 at 9:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Jan at August 30, 2017 at 5:58 AM

Brooksey at August 29, 2017 at 5:46 AM

Never can view something once it has sold the page just shows quickly then disappears.

How frustrating for you, Jan, Do other iPad users have this problem?

August 31, 2017 at 4:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Holly

Bitter experience eh, sounds like someone got heavy with you very sorry to hear that.

I joined in 2009 and don't recall a bar on general ebay discussion of sellers etc then so perhaps it may be an idea when you update terms and conditions to email all members just to be on the safe side. 

It is a shame things have to be sugarcoated it made me laugh when I read my edited post as it makes everything sound so hunky dory.

I visited the forum to chat with people I don't wish to have any antagonism, it is a shame we all have to experience dishonest people and it is tempting to share experiences and only natural if you are an honest person to want to warn and support each other but I am sure after our little slap we will all refrain in the future :)

August 31, 2017 at 6:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Holly at August 31, 2017 at 6:21 PM

Bitter experience eh, sounds like someone got heavy with you very sorry to hear that.

I joined in 2009 and don't recall a bar on general ebay discussion of sellers etc then so perhaps it may be an idea when you update terms and conditions to email all members just to be on the safe side. 

It is a shame things have to be sugarcoated it made me laugh when I read my edited post as it makes everything sound so hunky dory.

I visited the forum to chat with people I don't wish to have any antagonism, it is a shame we all have to experience dishonest people and it is tempting to share experiences and only natural if you are an honest person to want to warn and support each other but I am sure after our little slap we will all refrain in the future :)

We have slip up a few times and conversations have wandered 'over the edge' so to speak, innocently of course but has required a reminder of the terms and conditions on occasion which helps as Im so forgetful.

August 31, 2017 at 7:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Holly

Yes,  lesson learnt. I am a bit unusual in my activity on the forum. I imagine this issue has been mentioned in the past many times on the actual forum posts but I joined in 2009 and then life pushed me in other directions so I have not even been on the site for the last 8 years until the last few weeks so probably missed all sorts of updates to terms and such shenanigans. I came across the forum again when researching something dolls house related recently and remembered what a fabulous reference site it is ;)

September 1, 2017 at 7:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Holly at September 1, 2017 at 7:16 AM

Yes,  lesson learnt. I am a bit unusual in my activity on the forum. I imagine this issue has been mentioned in the past many times on the actual forum posts but I joined in 2009 and then life pushed me in other directions so I have not even been on the site for the last 8 years until the last few weeks so probably missed all sorts of updates to terms and such shenanigans. I came across the forum again when researching something dolls house related recently and remembered what a fabulous reference site it is ;)

8 years is indeed a long time, like my daily dose of DHPP and don't want to miss anything, nice you are looking in on things now Holly.

September 1, 2017 at 7:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Holly

Yes time goes so fast when I looked at the date I joined I couldn't believe it was 2009, I was surprised my log in details still worked so well done to the administrators!

September 1, 2017 at 9:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

cestina

My side bar seems to have stopped updating, showing Holly 2 days ago as the last entry on this thread. Is this universal or just me?

--

Cestina's Dollshouses: https://czechdollshouses.blogspot.com/2019/04/in-eclectic-manor_20.html" target="_blank">In an Eclectic Manor

September 1, 2017 at 11:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.