Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Upside down?

Rosemary

Could you take a look at item 222619151133 on a certain site.  The items that I am looking at is not for sale but are they placed the right way up or not? Two John Hodgson mirrors _ i would be grateful for your comments. Also has anyone heard of Kay Lewis - I believe that she may be the maker of Bryan's delicate Staffordshire bird as shown in the recent Greconville story.

August 25, 2017 at 4:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

I agree that the mirrors do look as though they are upside-down, but in fact they are hung as they are on John Hodgson's website:

http://www.johnjhodgson.com/contents/en-uk/d16_miniature-mirrors-frames.html

[Keep scrolling down the page, they're a way down].

The name Kay Lewis does ring a faint bell. I know that she was active some 30-40 years ago, and did produce Staffordshire ornaments, but no more than that. 

August 25, 2017 at 5:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Thank you so much, Brooksey.  They are hung upside down in the Towers.......Will Michelle get the sack?

I have just bought a "pile" of Staffordshire - I thought it looked vaguely familiar from two items that I bought many years ago, and then I saw one for sale in the USA (That's a NOGO shopping place these days) and she mentioned Kay Lewis.. It  is always nice to know the makers.

August 25, 2017 at 6:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

I think that the mirrors look fine either way up - if I were Michelle I wouldn't worry and leave them be. Sir Thomas obviously hadn't noticed!

August 25, 2017 at 7:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Holly

I must say I actually prefer them upside down! They look balanced better. 

August 25, 2017 at 7:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

I agree, Holly.

By the way I have just come across an article in an old, very old, copu of IDHN. Kendal Museom had some lovely dolls' houses then and the writer of the srticle says that she felt like Alice when visiting. Can this be the missing museum of the lake District that was being talkied about in a forum recently?

Article by Elizabeth Gilmartin IDHN Autumn 1974

August 25, 2017 at 7:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Took a look at my JH mirrors, still hanging as they were previously. I am leaving them that way because I prefer them that way - but also, I can't quite see how you can hang them by the little twirl at the "proper" base, but the way they are now, it is easy.

August 31, 2017 at 9:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.