Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Angel's Attic Closes in California

Mary Noel

I have sent a note to the admins to remove it from the list of places to visit, but thought I would post to let anyone who might be planning a visit know that Angel's Attic, the wonderful Dollhouse Museum in Santa Monica, California has closed.

I was fortunate to get up there a couple times during the closing sale to purchase a few things, including the Dutch doll house that I posted photos of last week. I am already starting to see items from the museum show up on the American eBay site, mainly from California sellers. I suspect we will see a lot more over the summer.

May 4, 2017 at 7:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

That's sad, Mary Noel. It is always a great pity when museum collections are broken up. The same happened in 1998,  here in the UK, when Vivian Greene's Rotunda closed. I remember reading an article about Angel's Attic in Dolls House World magazine, many years ago. 

May 5, 2017 at 2:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator

I've always loved the name "Angel's Attic", what a pity it's gone.

--

Edel

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shero6820/

May 5, 2017 at 4:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mary Noel

Mary Noel at May 4, 2017 at 7:37 PM

I have sent a note to the admins to remove it from the list of places to visit, but thought I would post to let anyone who might be planning a visit know that Angel's Attic, the wonderful Dollhouse Museum in Santa Monica, California has closed.

I was fortunate to get up there a couple times during the closing sale to purchase a few things, including the Dutch doll house that I posted photos of last week. I am already starting to see items from the museum show up on the American eBay site, mainly from California sellers. I suspect we will see a lot more over the summer.

I would have loved to have seen the Rotunda.  I have the books of course, but its no substitute for the real thing.

May 5, 2017 at 5:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

It is always sad when an attractive vistors' centre and a resource for those interested in a particular area of study closes down.
Was there a reason given? I hope it wasn't lack of visits to it.

--

May 6, 2017 at 2:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Apparently the family no longer want to keep it going according to a review on google.

May 6, 2017 at 3:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

The Rotunda was amazing! I went when it was first opened - and also shortly before it closed.

It had gone a little downhill in the fact that many of the dolls, especially the butlers, seemed to have fallen down in drunken stupors! Each house had a spotlight that you could hold and shine into the houses to view them , which was a great idea but there was quite a lot of disarray within the small residences in the latter years. On those Sunday afternoons in each of the summer months from May to September, Mrs Greene was there to greet you and give you your tickets. She was  always elegantly dressed in a rather 1950s style despite it being the 1990s. Her  full-size residence was an beautiful Regency house, Grove House,  at Iffley Turn, and she had her favourite dolls' house (or houses) kept in there for her enjoyment. I have an undated letter from her stating that "My collection of dolls is quite small - only about 70". There is more interesting information within the letter but I don't want to ramble on for too long since it really the closing of Angels' Attic that is the subject of this forum. I was very sorry never to visit it when we lived in California, but there are limits as to how tolerant a husband is, and we had been to meet Kaye McLaren and I was also spending a fortune on "set aside" so I was not granted every wish.

I have always felt it was a great shame that Mrs Greene's  amazing collection was dispersed although I know that luckily quite a lot of it fell into good hands, and are there to be seen in Liza Antrim's beautifully produced book Family Dolls' Houses that is still available to be purchased.   When Vivien Greene's own first book - English Dolls' Houses- was published by Batsford in 1955. the printing of the illustrations bore no resemblance to the wonderful colour and clarity available today.  Hers was a unique collection and wonderful background story.

May 6, 2017 at 6:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Thank you Rosemary - I wish I could have seen it. What ashame that it wasn't featured in a You Tube video, or some such.

--

May 6, 2017 at 7:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.