Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Senior Moment/year - help with memory required!

Trumble's Mum

Hello again everybody!

I'm sorry I've been MIA again. The big people house is providing us with mega-headaches, or perhaps I should say the insurance industry that loves to take our money but is even happier not to deal with claims is giving us mega-migraines. The underpining was done successfully at one end of the house, but then the other end decided to sink and more than half our little cottage isunsafe to live in and the insurers are refusing to help. hey say the builder we chose to deal with the original, acknowledged subsidence caused this problem. I think they aretrying to suggest he picked up one end and tipped the house up at the other end! :/

All my little people houses remain in storage and I'm BORED! I'm also broke because it seems we now need to fnd lots of lolly to pay for the repairs ourselves so can't afford to spend much just now. Bruce is considered too old for us to remortgage even though I have always paid the mortgage and other costs due to his parsimonious US ilitary pension that wouldn't keep a family of grecons in food for a week. Grandpa Roland is hammering on the shoebox lid to be let out too. So, I want to buy a little house to play with but a cheapy. I can't keep the lid on Grandpa R much longer

Now, I can't remember what I'm looking for!  I want one of those lithographed cottagey houses. The ones with the furniture printed on the inside, the yellow plastic froont doors and very bright litho printing on the outside. But I can't remember what make they are! If the worst happens and we can't stay here, a caravan might be looming :( - I might be able to squeeze it in with us and, if not, it would not be too hard to part with.

I spent last night sitting up searching the old e-zine articles because I know I read an article about them once, but I couldn't find it. Nor could I find them again in the photo gallery. Does anyone have a clue what I am talking about and what make they are?

Jenni

--

May 3, 2017 at 11:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Toy Works houses, Jenni?

http://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/apps/photos/category?id=1038616

Your home situation sounds terrible - you have my sympathy, for what it's worth. I wish I could help in a more practical way!

May 3, 2017 at 1:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

That's the one! Thanks Brooksey.

I have one, or rather my daughter does, in Brighton but I'm sure Hannah won't want to part with it as she was given it second hand as a little child and has always loved it. In any case, it would cost me as much to get there to steal it from her as to buy another one to play with, even if I could still travel.

So..... off to look for another one to sit on the little table beside our sofa.... which is currently in the kitchen.....because we have no sitting room just now....but I'm playing ostrich about the real house and have my head firmly stuck back in the sand of dolls' house searching! I am trying to forget about my 1950s Hobbies house that was flattened when the wall fell - could have been one of us, so I shouldn't be too upset, but I'd just got close to finishing it  :(.

Thanks again,
   Jenni

--

May 3, 2017 at 1:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Jenni, your life sounds awful right now. A nightmare in fact. I do hope that things get sorted for you soon, although it all sounds very complicated.

May 4, 2017 at 3:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Linda B

Oh Jenni, what an awful thing to happen.

After living on a building site for a couple of years, I can only say that things DO get better.

I do hope you get sorted soon and wish you well.

--

:)

May 4, 2017 at 4:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator

How appalling Jenni. I hope very much that your home can be made safe again. Warm, dry and with stable floors and walls. Not much to ask, is it? And sometimes so very difficult to achieve....

Very best wishes, Edel

--

Edel

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shero6820/

May 4, 2017 at 5:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Maddy

Dear Trumble's Mum,  My heart goes out to you.  I know that living in dollshouse land will help a little.  I wish you all the best.

May 4, 2017 at 6:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Thank you so much for all the helpful and sympathetic replies, ladies!

I am trying to be grateful that we were all in the kitchen when the wall fell and nobody, except a small German doll was killed. Not having my houses out and only losing one of them and the chest of drawers it was standing on, is a small price to pay in comparison with what might have been. I am very grateful that it was not the antique house Mum and I bought from Celia, but it is a timely reminder that our little houses are probably in need of seperate insurance and, when they come out of the storage unit they are in, 40 miles away, I shall be seeing to that for at least the two oldest ones - silly to insure a mobile phones etc. but not our beautiful, antique dolls' house. Not that it could be replaced as it is unique, but I've missed it and the Dolly Mixture Lane properties so much that I now know thy mean more to me than many other things we own. I am childish n y approach to this hobby, I know, but to me each of them has a special meaning.

Thanks again, dear d/h friends!
    Jenni

--

May 4, 2017 at 7:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

theinfill.wordpress.com

Sorry to hear about all the dreadful and horribly lowering things that are happening and, as you say, thank goodness that no one was by the wall when it went whoomph, though it must have frightened you to death.

I agree, dolls houses are important. Putting aside their historical value, they keep us learning, planning, making, and generally help to keep our marbles actively rolling around in our noddles andthey give us space to breathe, don't you find?

I do so hope you can find a workable solution to all the mayhem :)

All the very best

--

May 4, 2017 at 8:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jane

{{{{{{Jenni}}}}}}

May 4, 2017 at 8:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

This sounds just awful, Jenni! Having your house partially collapse is dreadful - then the attitudes of the insurance company and the bank or whoever's providing the mortgage - unbelievable! The builder should surely sue the insurance company for libel - and as for offering (or not offering) a mortgage based on your husband's age, what century are we living in, exactly?!

I do hope your home can be made safe to live in soon and without hardship - and I hope you find the temporary home that Grandpa Roland wants soon too!

--

Rebecca :)

May 4, 2017 at 10:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Veronica

I think it's Surrey Cottage c.1975 by Park Toys.It was the last knockings of Triang and has a Triang type conifer printed on the outside. I can send you a 'phone pic via email as I have got one. I am so sorry you are having a bad time with your big cottage and hope things can be resolved.

May 4, 2017 at 12:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jeanette
Jenni, this just goes to show how fragile our even well ordered lives are, your story really really took me aback. I can also agree with you about how easily I paid the insurance on my mobile phone and gulped when I put my house in perspective...
--

May 4, 2017 at 1:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Shocking news Jenni have you consulted a Solicitor regarding the Insurance Company to pit pressure on them.

May 4, 2017 at 2:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Put pressure on them, sorry to late to correct it.

May 4, 2017 at 3:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Aw, thanks evrybody.

If the national ombudsman service can't do anything to force the insurers to pay, we will have to give up. But they have to play fair by both sides and they gave the insurers an 8 week period to look again and make a final offer or to say they have reason to disagree with our claim after checking again.

Now, I have to write to the ombudsman service to say I'm disatisfed with their offer of 0% towards the costsand then the onbudsman will write to inform them that they require all the paperwork they hold about our case. Of course, I am sure they will, by now, have 'cooked the books.' They sent me a copy of a letter that they ay they sent out to us a year ago but we have never seen it, so I think they are being sneaky. In it, they quote that the terms of our policy would be changed if we renewed it - to our detriment, of course.You can prove if you did get a letter, but how do you prove that you didn't?

So, another 8 to 10 weeks will pass before the ombudsman decides between us and then, having gone down the route of using them as an intermediary service, we can't take the solicitors to court if the decision goes against us, as the ombudsman service is a free legal decision making body in this kind of dispute.

BUT  -the good news! A lovely lady on this site has offered Grandpa Roland and Grandma Jean a new little house to live in! I'm so grateful and REALLY looking forward to getting back into being the fumbling jobbing builder who helps, or hinders them in this!

Oh, Veronica, the house I was thinking of were the Toy Works ones. My daughter had the little cottage style one with the blue and green slate effect roof.

Thanks agin, to all you kind and supportive people. it is good to be back here in this best-of-all groups.
  Jenni xxx

--

May 4, 2017 at 3:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Hope you have a satisfactory outcome and pleased someone is able to offer a house for Roland and Jean!

May 4, 2017 at 4:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.