Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > Renovation/ restoration/ creation > Woodworm

Ninja

Hi, need a bit of advice re woodworm specifically in Lines 74 roof. 

Spotted signs of woodworm in base & some holes in roof. They look old (dark at edges) but I did find a dessicated woodworm body behind the stairs. I have stripped the whole house & treated all surfaces, wrapped it in black plastic bags & left it in garage for a couple of weeks, until it gets same treatment again & is left for another few weeks. However, I keep thinking about the roof & it's worrying me. There were flight holes in it so I injected killer into each one I found. There is no sign of woodworm in the ceilings below (which I have treated anyway but as the roof is covered with the mock thatch, it's impossible to treat the roof timbers themselves - I did use a high penetration woodworm killer & did paint it over the "thatch"  just in case but I have no faith it will get through. Will treatment of rest of the house & the fumes within the wrappings be sufficient to kill anything in the roof or do I need to try & work out how to get the roof off (doesn't look straightforward at all as I can see no visible fixings)? I don't have access to a freezer big enough for the house either.

Was considering filling visible holes & keeping an eye out for new ones but I hate the thought of my house being munched away from inside before anything is visible!

Any advice gratefully received! 

March 22, 2017 at 4:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Quite honestly I think it should be OK, Cath.  You seem to have done everything possible but I would advise sealing it up tightly after the second dose and leaving it(if you can bear to) for at least 6 months.

The little beasts fly in May so if any have survived the first treatment, they will be out looking for a mate but if sealed in they will not be in the mood and should be found dead lying around.

I would not attempt to remove the roof, they are cleverly fixed on and you might spoil the house. Patience is the answer. My Ultra modern 53 was a riddled wreck so I got it cheaply and we did all that you have done, sealed it up and left it in the garage for a year, and it has never had a nasty little bug in it since (fingers crossed) There is a heat treatment - see the forums of some years back- but it is expensive and would involve travel expenses too, so patience is the answer. It does sound as if it is "clean"

If it really "bugs" you you could cut a section of the from from the back of the roof - as Lines did when there were electrics fitted - and you will gain access that way, and then hinge the flap as so many of their house have. Useful room space - but you would manage to see the inside of the roof that way. Hope this helps.

March 22, 2017 at 5:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ninja

Thank you so much Rosemary, you have set my mind at rest! Will stop worrying, do second doe & leave it wrapped up for at least 6 months (motorbike season is almost on us anyway!). If I still have niggling dobts thereafter the flap idea is brilliant. 

March 22, 2017 at 5:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Linda B

I had horrendous live woodworm in my Triang Princess Cath.

Had to replace the base and back, but like you was worried how to treat the roof without dismantling it.  I treated each hole and squirted as much as I could in.

That was a few years ago and (touch wood, literally) have had no problems since.

--

:)

March 22, 2017 at 6:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

I had to treat my Tri-ang 81, too. All the holes in the house looked old, but when I forced the base drawer open I found fresher holes and actual (dead) larvae in there. I painted the treatment over every single wall and floor surface, including the painted ones, working it well into the (numerous) flight holes, sealed it up for 12 weeks, then did it all again. (I froze the front door and the stairs). Once treatment was complete, after six months, I filled all the holes with Polyfilla, so any new ones would be obvious, as Rosemary always recommends. Three years on, I have seen no signs of further activity.

March 22, 2017 at 8:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ninja
Thank you Linda & Brooksey, you have helped reassure me....hopefully I wont dream about woodworm tonight!
March 22, 2017 at 11:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ninja

Sorry to resurrect this but I cannot create a new topic & it is related! 

I have started a new album called Cath's Stockbroker Project (link is temperamental!)

https://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=16125542

Being at the what on earth have I done stage, even though the house was free, I am wondering what everyone feels to them is too far gone for a dolls house to be worth saving? 

I know I ought to weigh up what's there, whats salvageable, whats to replace & what is missing & work out how hard it will be to source/make replacements/do repairs and I know the cost could be big but I don't think I have any brakes that say "Whoa, needs to much, not worth it" and I'm wondering what you all feel? 

August 24, 2018 at 8:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Frances

I have a house Lines DH/1 which had had all its woodworm treated & the flight holes filled and painted over to match the inside front Paper - sides and back already replaced I deduced. However when I re-attached the windows once they were no longer a bright French navy with copious amounts of rust the whole of the front crumbled almost to dust.

August 31, 2018 at 1:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ninja

Frances at August 31, 2018 at 1:53 AM

I have a house Lines DH/1 which had had all its woodworm treated & the flight holes filled and painted over to match the inside front Paper - sides and back already replaced I deduced. However when I re-attached the windows once they were no longer a bright French navy with copious amounts of rust the whole of the front crumbled almost to dust.

Ouch! I can't imagine how that must have felt.:(

August 31, 2018 at 3:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Oh, goodness Frances! I remember that house - what a great pity that is. What, if anything, have you been able to do about it? Recreating the façade would be difficult. Were the mouldings and front door affected?

August 31, 2018 at 4:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ninja

I'm also a bit confused about the age of this Stockbroker. I was told it was 1930s but it has the more angular bay supports and the planked floor paper (well, remnants of!) which suggest post war, but it has two Odeon fireplaces and brown window frames with off white window panels which suggest earlier? I haven't got Marion's book (yet..it's on Christmas wish list!) so any info gratefully received

August 31, 2018 at 5:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Cath, does the house still have its label, or even a suggestive shape left where it once was? The labels can usually date a house within two or three years.

August 31, 2018 at 9:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ninja

Brooksey at August 31, 2018 at 9:42 AM

Cath, does the house still have its label, or even a suggestive shape left where it once was? The labels can usually date a house within two or three years.

Hi Brooksey, just had a Duh moment...know I took a pic of the label but forgot to upload it!

It's in the album now.....

https://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=205293730

Any thoughts/info will be massively appreciated :)

August 31, 2018 at 11:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

It's a post-WWII Stockbroker - that's a 1946-51 label. The last pre-War label was triangular, but there was no hyphen in "Triang". The details that were usually seen pre-War but which are present in this house could be explained by this being one of the very first houses released once production of toys was restored in 1946, and some old stock components had been used in its manufacture. This, though, is pure speculation. The dating is conclusive from the label.

August 31, 2018 at 1:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ninja

Brooksey at August 31, 2018 at 1:24 PM

It's a post-WWII Stockbroker - that's a 1946-51 label. The last pre-War label was triangular, but there was no hyphen in "Triang". The details that were usually seen pre-War but which are present in this house could be explained by this being one of the very first houses released once production of toys was restored in 1946, and some old stock components had been used in its manufacture. This, though, is pure speculation. The dating is conclusive from the label.

Thanks Brooksey, that is so useful to know. I am documenting everything on this one, so armed with that knowledge I will just get my friend to ask the original owner a few more questions around provenance. 

Cheers :D

August 31, 2018 at 2:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.