Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Fakons

Rosemary

I'd like to say how really impressed I am with our NEW Grecon style dolls. The latest contender with beautiful mini teddy bear is so good.- really good, -Excellent.

I have just taken delivery of two "road kill" - very cheap and very late in Grecon production, and feet are coming from Eileen to get these sad waifs on their way again. But really, they are awful. Shoddy work, which I am afraid to say is what Grecin dolls ended up being., so be careful when purchasing, the quality and standards did drop drastically and I would feel really bitter had I paid more for these waifs. The price has rescently reached what I would term as silly levels, for quite ordinary characters. If one is unusual or even unique, but how can we know ?- perhaps it is worth paying over the odds, but generally, I think that you will be disappointed with your purchase. The recent and on-going Grecon challenge is producing some skilled and stunning results for an outlay of two lead feet, some pipe-cleaners, a lot of embroidery cotton - hopefully found in Charity Shops and a sense of potential character.  For under £20 you will have created your own Fakon, an antiqiue of the future and individual to you!

Keep going, I am certainly going to.

May 4, 2016 at 3:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

It's me asking why this forum didn't post update? Why do pictures turn sideways although presented straight?  What malign force is doing this to our best-loved site?

May 4, 2016 at 4:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

I've no idea why these things happen, Rosemary, but, of course, they do! Last time the Forum posts didn't update was a major glitch which took a few days for Webs to sort out, but this one seems to have resolved already (I hope). The pictures posting sideways phenomenon does always seem to correct itself within 24 hours or so - at least it has, thus far! 

And I'm in complete agreement with you on the fabulous quality of the Fakons!

May 4, 2016 at 5:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

chris g

The Fakons are truely amazing, such talented people on this site we have.  I'm not going to attempt these myself as I haven't got the time at the moment to devote to this subject.  Maybe in the winter I will have more time If I'm brave enough.  I don't think I would get anything near the standard of what our members have achieved but I do like a chalenge.

May 4, 2016 at 9:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

chris g

chris g at May 4, 2016 at 9:39 PM

The Fakons are truely amazing, such talented people on this site we have.  I'm not going to attempt these myself as I haven't got the time at the moment to devote to this subject.  Maybe in the winter I will have more time If I'm brave enough.  I don't think I would get anything near the standard of what our members have achieved but I do like a chalenge.

But I really shouldn't post at Silly o'clock time either as I make too many spelling and grammer mistakes!!!!:/

May 4, 2016 at 9:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

LOL Chris! IU see that I made a few mistakes muself. Grecins!  Whatever was I thinking of!

May 5, 2016 at 1:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Rosemary at May 4, 2016 at 3:59 PM

I'd like to say how really impressed I am with our NEW Grecon style dolls. The latest contender with beautiful mini teddy bear is so good.- really good, -Excellent.

I have just taken delivery of two "road kill" - very cheap and very late in Grecon production, and feet are coming from Eileen to get these sad waifs on their way again. But really, they are awful. Shoddy work, which I am afraid to say is what Grecin dolls ended up being., so be careful when purchasing, the quality and standards did drop drastically and I would feel really bitter had I paid more for these waifs. The price has rescently reached what I would term as silly levels, for quite ordinary characters. If one is unusual or even unique, but how can we know ?- perhaps it is worth paying over the odds, but generally, I think that you will be disappointed with your purchase. The recent and on-going Grecon challenge is producing some skilled and stunning results for an outlay of two lead feet, some pipe-cleaners, a lot of embroidery cotton - hopefully found in Charity Shops and a sense of potential character.  For under £20 you will have created your own Fakon, an antiqiue of the future and individual to you!

Keep going, I am certainly going to.

Sorry - can't remember how to just quote the top para of your post, Rosemary.

Please, I'm soooo out of the loop - lost the use of my right hand and vision in that eye for weeks so WHAT'S GOING ON? Fakons? Help, it sounds so interesting but I don't know where to look for info.
 Jenni xxxxx

--

May 5, 2016 at 5:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

chris g

Oh god Jenni , thats awful I hope things are much better for you now.  Fakons are members attemps at making Grecon style figures,  as Grecons are becoming so expensive.

May 5, 2016 at 5:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

I had missed you, Jenni - I'm so very sorry to hear that you have been ill again.

"Fakons" started as one of those intermittent challenges which get thrown down on here from time to time, following these Forum discussions:

http://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/apps/forums/topics/show/13314533-care-of-grecon-dolls?page=1

and

http://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/apps/forums/topics/show/13319646

The impressive results of the challenge can be seen here:

http://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=15964414

and here:

http://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=15964514

For a new discovery about authentic Grecons, see Zoe's album at :

http://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=15982549

May 5, 2016 at 5:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

I don't think you can edit a Forum post in Quote & Reply, Jenni. I think that can only be done when replying to Comments in the Photo Gallery. 

May 5, 2016 at 6:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Thanks Chris and Julie! Wonder if I could be a one handed Fakon faker?? Might give it a whirl - they deserve a resurection in popularity but oh, my! THE PRICES OF GRECONS!!! Makes my 60s half crown to five shillings a piece ones that took so much saving for seem reasonable now!

--

May 5, 2016 at 7:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Must agree the Fakons have been excellent and Edel and Judy are so good at the tiniest of projects, look forward to seeing you road kills come back to life Rosemary maybe Grecins would be a good name for all the repaired Grecons.

May 5, 2016 at 8:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Or Grekin as in family history records, I e the history of the repaired Grecon.

May 5, 2016 at 8:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Trumble's Mum at May 5, 2016 at 7:36 AM

Thanks Chris and Julie! Wonder if I could be a one handed Fakon faker?? Might give it a whirl - they deserve a resurection in popularity but oh, my! THE PRICES OF GRECONS!!! Makes my 60s half crown to five shillings a piece ones that took so much saving for seem reasonable now!

Some while ago, i emailed a friend to say that if my dad had not been so stingy with the pocket money when I was small, I would be sitting on a fortunes worth of Grecon now. All my pocket money went on them, I kept them all and then got so excited when I found that you could buy them on eBay and they were sensible prices at that time . Well - 5/- turned into £20 or so.......but not the daft prices being asked nowadays.  

May 5, 2016 at 9:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

I had one shilling a week until I started high school so tended to buy the ones that were slightly crushed or that had a chip on the shoe when our dolls' hospital held a sale. I've always been a sucker for the unloved doll and Grecons had my heart, but the most expensive and unusual were always out of my reach. They were handmade though and no two were ever exactly the same. I so wish my mother hadn't packed them up along with my dolls' house when she decided i ws too old for it, only litte Jonathan remains:( and he now has newly adopted grandparents and cousin. But the rest of the family is unlikely to be replaced at today's prices - they are nearly as much as the houses and probably consider themselves too elite to live in some of mine that are waiting for renovation!

--

May 5, 2016 at 11:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator
Jenni so sorry to hear you have been ill, hope you are on the mend now? Edel xx
--

Edel

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shero6820/

May 5, 2016 at 11:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator

Jan at May 5, 2016 at 8:07 AM

Must agree the Fakons have been excellent and Edel and Judy are so good at the tiniest of projects, look forward to seeing you road kills come back to life Rosemary maybe Grecins would be a good name for all the repaired Grecons.

And we shouldn't forget Wendy's superlative Fakon couples :-)
--

Edel

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shero6820/

May 5, 2016 at 11:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Edel at May 5, 2016 at 11:26 AM

Jan at May 5, 2016 at 8:07 AM

And we shouldn't forget Wendy's superlative Fakon couples :-)

Wendy's beauties haven't been forgotten - they're in the Grecon Challenge album, which is in the links above.

May 5, 2016 at 11:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Judy C

Jenni can I join with the others in expressing sorrow you have been ill, and hoping you are on the mend again.

The best part about the Grecon challenge has been admiring what other people have achieved. SO impressive. :)

--

May 5, 2016 at 12:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Zoe H
Administrator

I have just returned from a few days away to find the melon feet I ordered from Eileen and Steve had arrived and WOW! I'm so impressed - they look great and compare brilliantly to the feet on my original Grecon melon-footers. Well done and thank you to both Eileen and Steve for persevering and stopping this gap in the Grecon foot market - roadkill resurrection and Fakon creations will know no bounds now! 

--

Zoe

https://trulymadlytiny.blogspot.co.uk

http://grecondale.com

May 5, 2016 at 6:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.