Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > Renovation/ restoration/ creation > help required to renovate 1950s house

JoyD

Not sure if I managed to upload the photo correctly -- I am trying to restore my doll's house for my grandaughter and don't really know where to start.

What sort of paint should I use?  The roof is a matt green while the tudor bits are glossy paint.

How do I do the tudor bits without making a mess?  Would be really really difficult to mask the .

where can I get replacement windows?  The originals were green and yellow metal - romside I think, these were replaced with plastic windows in the 80s

Any advice on lighting?  I have only seen mains lighting - the original lighting just had one switch and was battery operated.  I want to use battery but have no idea how to join up the lights correctly.  Will I need a tiny soldering iron?

Advice on wallpaper and carpets would also be very welcome

April 22, 2016 at 7:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

Hi, and welcome to Dolls Houses Past and Present. If you would like to create a member profile, then members will know who they're replying to - and you'll receive email notifications of any comments on your photos.

As far as the windows go, Romside windows do come up for sale on ebay, if you wanted to go back to the original metal windows. Hobbys (http://hobby.uk.com/dolls-houses.html) still sell the plastic diamond lattice windows if you just want to replace missing plastic windows.

What wallpapers and flooring does it have inside? Sometimes new wallpapers are applied over old ones, so if the house was redecorated in the 80s, it's possible the 50s papers are underneath. Hobbys has 16th scale dolls house wall and floor papers, but the wallpapers particularly are more recent than this house would have had. You can get an idea of the kinds of wallpapers that might have been used when the house was made in my article on Hobbies dolls houses and wallpaper from 1946-1968 - http://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/issue20march2014p9.htm - of course, the maker might not have used Hobbies papers, they might have used leftover real wallpapers, or wrapping paper - and you might choose different wallpapers anyway!

It would be great to see the inside of your house, too, if you'd like to post some photos of it.

--

Rebecca :)

April 22, 2016 at 8:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Zoe H
Administrator

I use acrylic paint and finish off with a matte varnish so it doesn't look too shiny. These houses could be painted however you wanted them originally so maybe a peak underneath the current paintwork will tell you how it was first done. I took all the Tudor beams off mine, sanded and painted them before reattaching. Mine were pinned on so they came off ok (one casualty where the wood split bit I glued and wood-filled it and it's fine). If they're glued on, depending on the the glue it might be harder to do this. Romside windows are often listed on eBay and the KT Miniatures website often has them for sale too. I'm rubbish on the subject of wiring but there is a great little magazine article on this site, I'll look for it and post a link to it. There's also a brilliant YouTube video I've watched (in anticipation of having to wire my niece's dolls' house very soon), I'll look for the link for that too - might be a bit later as I've got to do some work now.. Boo.

--

Zoe

https://trulymadlytiny.blogspot.co.uk

http://grecondale.com

April 22, 2016 at 8:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

I think those are Romside windows that I have listed on the Free Ads site on here. I know that I am asking a lot less for them than some listed currently on ebay.  They are in good condition and came off a Princess that I was renovating.

April 22, 2016 at 8:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Zoe H
Administrator

I'd forgotten you had some Romsides for sale, Rosemary! 

The link to Joan Joyce's guide to wiring in the on-site ezine is:

http://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/issue16march2013p13.htm

There are a few good videos on YouTube for electrifying a dolls' house. This is a really good one for the copper tape method, though I don't think that method would have been used in your house originally (there's also a part 2 to this but you'll find the link on YouTube):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuXcDC--SPI

--

Zoe

https://trulymadlytiny.blogspot.co.uk

http://grecondale.com

April 22, 2016 at 11:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

I THINK they are Romside but they may not be - cream and green and latticed from 1940s or 50s.

April 22, 2016 at 11:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JoyD

Rebecca Green at April 22, 2016 at 8:46 AM

Hi, and welcome to Dolls Houses Past and Present. If you would like to create a member profile, then members will know who they're replying to - and you'll receive email notifications of any comments on your photos.

As far as the windows go, Romside windows do come up for sale on ebay, if you wanted to go back to the original metal windows. Hobbys (http://hobby.uk.com/dolls-houses.html) still sell the plastic diamond lattice windows if you just want to replace missing plastic windows.

What wallpapers and flooring does it have inside? Sometimes new wallpapers are applied over old ones, so if the house was redecorated in the 80s, it's possible the 50s papers are underneath. Hobbys has 16th scale dolls house wall and floor papers, but the wallpapers particularly are more recent than this house would have had. You can get an idea of the kinds of wallpapers that might have been used when the house was made in my article on Hobbies dolls houses and wallpaper from 1946-1968 - http://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/issue20march2014p9.htm - of course, the maker might not have used Hobbies papers, they might have used leftover real wallpapers, or wrapping paper - and you might choose different wallpapers anyway!

It would be great to see the inside of your house, too, if you'd like to post some photos of it.

As this will be a plaything for my grand-daughter - I am not into looking for original windows (actually the original windows are lying around somewhere in my daughter's house - but broken)  My father in the 80s used bits of wallpapaer and carpet lying around the house.  I'd rather get something more in scale.  Have already torn off some of 80s paper to try to work out how Dad wired the lights (which no longer work)  but will post some pics of inside.

I have discovered that he made the black bits (Tudor) out of Kellogs packs - presumably cornflakes - I don't think there was anaything else.  One bit has peeled off to reveal the distinctive K.

I think I need to start with repainting so would appreciate some advice on type of paint to use.

April 22, 2016 at 4:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JoyD

Zoe H at April 22, 2016 at 8:50 AM

I use acrylic paint and finish off with a matte varnish so it doesn't look too shiny. These houses could be painted however you wanted them originally so maybe a peak underneath the current paintwork will tell you how it was first done. I took all the Tudor beams off mine, sanded and painted them before reattaching. Mine were pinned on so they came off ok (one casualty where the wood split bit I glued and wood-filled it and it's fine). If they're glued on, depending on the the glue it might be harder to do this. Romside windows are often listed on eBay and the KT Miniatures website often has them for sale too. I'm rubbish on the subject of wiring but there is a great little magazine article on this site, I'll look for it and post a link to it. There's also a brilliant YouTube video I've watched (in anticipation of having to wire my niece's dolls' house very soon), I'll look for the link for that too - might be a bit later as I've got to do some work now.. Boo.

my black bits (see previous reply) are actually bits of Kellogs cornflakes packets stuck on... I'd struggle to remove them and in a way it seems shame to do so -- 1950s kellogs cardboard must be worth keeping:-)

I really don't want to go down the route of original windows as this will be a plaything - so I'll stick to plastic if I can find them.  Having looked carefully at the windows, I could probably get away with just replacing one triple.

Would appreciate the link on wiring -- when I have googled this - they all seem to be mains - that's fine for a model but not for a toy - so I do want battery operated lights.  I've seen individual lights with their own batteries but suspect they might be too big...The house had four lights in the 1980s version (I cn't remember what it had originally)

April 22, 2016 at 4:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JoyD

Rosemary at April 22, 2016 at 8:54 AM

I think those are Romside windows that I have listed on the Free Ads site on here. I know that I am asking a lot less for them than some listed currently on ebay.  They are in good condition and came off a Princess that I was renovating.

I think the original were Romside from what I've seen on the internet (they were green and yellow metal and are still lying around my daughter's house somewhere) The replacements were plastic.  This is to be a plaything so I think I'll look for plastic replacements ( though I could get carried away with renovation and keep it for myself:-)

April 22, 2016 at 4:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JoyD

Sorry - I seem to be wasting space in my replies -- really do not need to quote everything do I?

April 22, 2016 at 4:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

No problem about space! Quoting is the only way replying works on here.

In my reply above there's a link to the Hobby's website, where you can find the same plastic windows for sale under 1/16th scale doors and windows.

If you just want to use new dolls house scale wallpaper, there are lots of online shops that sell 12th scale wallpapers, and some that sell 16th scale, including Hobby's. There are also some links to online dolls house wallpaper shops on our Useful Links page - they have 16th scale too.

--

Rebecca :)

April 22, 2016 at 10:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Member Poppet sells dolls house wallpapers. She will resize any of her 1:12 papers to 1:16 on request. She has a huge selection, at:

http://www.poppetsdollybits.com/

There is also an eBay seller who regularly lists 1:16 patterns: maur45614. Search on Lundby wallpapers.

A lot of 1:12 patterns are small enough to work in 1:16, though.

April 23, 2016 at 5:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

JoyD at April 22, 2016 at 4:12 PM

Zoe H at April 22, 2016 at 8:50 AM

my black bits (see previous reply) are actually bits of Kellogs cornflakes packets stuck on... I'd struggle to remove them and in a way it seems shame to do so -- 1950s kellogs cardboard must be worth keeping:-)

I really don't want to go down the route of original windows as this will be a plaything - so I'll stick to plastic if I can find them.  Having looked carefully at the windows, I could probably get away with just replacing one triple.

Would appreciate the link on wiring -- when I have googled this - they all seem to be mains - that's fine for a model but not for a toy - so I do want battery operated lights.  I've seen individual lights with their own batteries but suspect they might be too big...The house had four lights in the 1980s version (I cn't remember what it had originally)

Triang used card for the decorative beams on a number of their models, most notably the 60s series. Once painted, card behaves very like wood of a similar thickness. Curves are easier to cut in card - wood really needs a fretsaw to make them neatly.

Regarding wiring, Hobby's still sell 3.5v lighting components, suitable for running off batteries, for 1:16 houses:

http://hobby.uk.com/dolls-houses/1-16/lighting-electrical/light-fittings-sets.html

and

http://hobby.uk.com/dolls-houses/1-16/lighting-electrical/electrical-accessories.html?p=1 ;

April 23, 2016 at 6:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JoyD

Thanks for all these useful replies

April 23, 2016 at 1:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JoyD

Today my partner has made me a tiny bit of edging to repair the back of the roof .  I'll post photos of before and after when I have made a bit more progress!!  Now the big decision is paint or paper for the roof?  I've seen some rather attractive roof papers.  . If I use tiled paper – how do you finish off the edges?

April 26, 2016 at 4:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

The only problem with using papers on the roof is that they fade quite quickly and then have to be replaced.  Paint is more durable!

April 27, 2016 at 3:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

JoyD at April 26, 2016 at 4:52 PM

Today my partner has made me a tiny bit of edging to repair the back of the roof .  I'll post photos of before and after when I have made a bit more progress!!  Now the big decision is paint or paper for the roof?  I've seen some rather attractive roof papers.  . If I use tiled paper – how do you finish off the edges?

Rosemary is right about roofing papers - they can fade rapidly. Would you consider card tiles for the roof? Tri-ang used these on some models. They can be cut from thin scrap card, such as grocery boxes, or from thin craft card. They can be made in long strips, which makes cutting and fixing them less arduous than if they are all separate tiles. They could then be painted after fixing in place.

April 27, 2016 at 5:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

carol

I have exactly this house made for me by my dad in the mid 50's. It has seen use by myself, my sister, and both my daughters. My dad made all the furniture for it from the hobbies patterns, this is a hobbies house by the way. I didn't want to let my daughters loose with this so furnished it with playmobil dolls house furniture, the Victorian sets, which fitted perfectly and was robust enough for them to play with. You can still see them sometimes on eBay, in fact there is some on right now. I still have it all stored away still in perfect condition, just in case it is needed again.

To protect existing floor,  brick and roof papers a coat of satin or Matt varnish works wonders. 

The timbering is indeed cereal packets. I have replaced some of mine with new, made from 2 sheets of cereal packet cardboard glued together, using the existing damaged bits as templates.  I used a narrow wallpaper or paint scraper to get them off. They are off quite easily. A coat of dark brown emulsion paint followed by a couple of coats of dark oak varnish and you would never know the difference.

Now my girls are grown up the house is being refurbished for grown up me, so it is now entering its 3rd generation.

April 28, 2016 at 6:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

carol

If you pick the right battery operated lights they look all right. I have used free standing floor lamps, and ceiling lights upturned as table lamps. I always check the measurements, particularly height when deciding which ones to go for.

April 28, 2016 at 6:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JoyD

Carol, would love to see pictures of your house - is there an album here?

Just made my first boob - I ordered some 1" (25mm) hinges to replace door (ie opening bit of house) hinges - arrived today and while they are the right length they are far too wide - so now have to hunt again.  Ordered one triple set of windows and they are exactly the same as the ones Dad used to renovate it for my daughter in the 80s.  The original romside windows are probably rusting away in my daughter's shed (she still lives in what was her childhood home while I live rather a long way away).  I don't want to spend to much on it - it will be a toy for a 5 yr old (though she may be six by the time I finish it!!)  I hope she will cherish it but there is no point in spending huge amounts of money on perfection.

April 30, 2016 at 2:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.