Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Lines/triang window restoration

Rosemary

There was a very interesting photo album by Shed on the Pond some years ago, about mending windows from a Stockbroker. Cam anyone tell me how to find it, please?

March 22, 2016 at 11:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Val Hill

Its on you tube, just put 'Triang windows' in as the search.

March 22, 2016 at 11:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Thanks, Val.

March 22, 2016 at 2:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Starr

Wow, thanks, this looks really interesting. I have some Romside windows which I hope to use in a homemade cottage, still off in the future. Great reference, thanks again!

--

March 23, 2016 at 1:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

What is the little tool she is using to remove the rust?

March 23, 2016 at 4:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Val Hill

Not sure, but it looks very useful. I know I looked at an electric tool  kit in Maplins  in the hobby section a while ago, it could be one of them. 

March 23, 2016 at 4:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Val Hill

Kevin has had a look . He says it looks like a small electric drill with a burnisher on the end. 

March 23, 2016 at 5:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kim W

Is it called a dremel?

March 23, 2016 at 6:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Val Hill

Maplins have them, they are called rotary tools with attachments. The one I was looking at does grinding, sanding and polishing. It also has tiny drill bits which would be very useful.

i think Dremel is a maker who does similar. 

March 23, 2016 at 7:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner
You could ask her - her member name is Lee.
--

Rebecca :)

March 23, 2016 at 7:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Lee said that she used a small Dremel in the comments under this photo:

http://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=122119975

but she doesn't say what tip she used. 

Freda improvised with a pedicure gadget:

http://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=198939354

March 23, 2016 at 9:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

buttercup
Chiropody suppliers sell a wide range of burs that can be used with a dremmel drill.you will need a universal chuck for the dremmel to attach them. I use them in my work and have a couple of spares if anybody needs one
March 23, 2016 at 12:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

I had forgotten about Freda's non-pedicure - I guess that the idea of having about 17 windows to restore was not on my mind just then.

March 23, 2016 at 1:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

christine jaeger

Rosemary, Lee's blog is amazing.. i follow it and she is so helpful... i have a small tool like a dremel with various heads, but i like to do things by hand.. i collected all rusty windows for my stockbroker, which has many windows, and i hand sanded allthe frames and undercoated and painted with the appropriate colour enamel... then i replaced the vinyl/plastic panes ... i did this for my cex as well... they should be in my photo's... :):):)

--

christine xx

March 24, 2016 at 1:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Zoe H
Administrator

I did half of my Princess 2 windows by hand and the second half with an attachment to my mini-drill and I wished I had used it for all of them, it was so much easier and faster. I just bought the steel wire attachment that looks like a chimney sweep's brush (after accidentally buying a box of enormous ones for a full- size drill on eBay...!) I got through several of them as they do wear down.

--

Zoe

https://trulymadlytiny.blogspot.co.uk

http://grecondale.com

March 24, 2016 at 2:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Mini-drill.  Please tell me more, Zoe.

March 24, 2016 at 5:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Freda Knight

If you like Rosemary, I can put a photo on showing what I used, including attachments.  Really effective... and never did use it for my feet.  Also, years' ago, we bought my dad a dremel (which I think my brother has hidden away somewhere) - however, the Ped egg set is wonderful and works from a battery which lasts and lasts.

March 24, 2016 at 7:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Zoe H
Administrator

Rosemary at March 24, 2016 at 5:15 AM

Mini-drill.  Please tell me more, Zoe.

Just a cheaper version of a Dremmel, Rosemary. Very handy to have. 

--

Zoe

https://trulymadlytiny.blogspot.co.uk

http://grecondale.com

March 24, 2016 at 9:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Freda Knight at March 24, 2016 at 7:20 AM

If you like Rosemary, I can put a photo on showing what I used, including attachments.  Really effective... and never did use it for my feet.  Also, years' ago, we bought my dad a dremel (which I think my brother has hidden away somewhere) - however, the Ped egg set is wonderful and works from a battery which lasts and lasts.

Ped Egg sounds about what I need,and a  battery sounds safe too. A photo would be very useful - I tried to track one down on ebay and Amazon but didn't get anywhere. I  need something fairly cheap as it is only for this task.  I had a chain saw - then my family wouldn't let me use it, but were reluctant to come and do the work for me, so I gave it away the other week. NOT that I am about to use a saw on this lovely house but there is no point in my buying expensive toolds that I won't use much in the future. On the other hand, my aged toes could benefit!

March 24, 2016 at 11:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Freda Knight

Hi, Rosemary - I've posted some pictures for you on the Ped Egg.  Although I've had this for about 4 years, I'm pretty sure, they are still sold in high street stores.  I think we paid about £20 for it, maybe less, but have no reason to believe they would be any dearer.  The battery lasts for ages.

March 24, 2016 at 1:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.