Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > Renovation/ restoration/ creation > Care of Grecon dolls

Rosemary

Valerie has written an excellent article in one of the magazines about bringing "road-kill" back to life, and I really do advise anyone with a restoration to do, to read that first.

If a Grecon is very dirty, it isn't advisable to immerse it in water to clean it, because water attacks the wire frame and it can seep into the lead shoes where the wires go in. After a few years, the feet drop off because the damp remains in there. The hands are prone to rust as well, because the wire is bent at that point and so more exposed  just under the wound thread. Eventually, they go brown and limp and the "hand" breaks off.

I remember that one of our members bought a huge and filthy dolls' house that had been stored in a cellar for years. Inside, amongst the dusty, dirty furniture, were a little group of Grecons. They all had wire problems due to their unhappy time in the cellar. It would be really good if that member could share some of her details about these dolls.( I'm sorry but I can't remember your name).

If a Grecon has a dirty face, there is really little that can be done to clean it. The way a child plays with them is to pick it up by the head, so the face gets dirty. I have tried erasers, baby wipes and damp cotton wool, and the results are nil. and the risk to those unique little features great.  Holes in the face are another problem. Always look very closely before you buy because the only way to repair to that problem is to scalp the doll, replace the face onto the head loop with suitable fabric (I have a store of 1920-1950 fabrics) and re-do the hair. All rather scary and time-consuming.

Replacing feet is yet another difficulty. You can buy the feet, but only in one small size and one size does not fit all. The size available is perfect for the later dolls but useless for the older ones, and obviously the melon footed ones. So you may have to replace BOTH the feet since otherwise they will not match, and if the doll is an older one, the tiny feet will not really look correct.

Moth damage is easy-peasy compared to all these other things. Place the doll in a sealed plastic bag and give it a month in the freezer, Then inspect and remove any moth eggs - often found under the arms (yuck!) Replacing clothing is fairly easy but make sure that you get the thinner craft felt - the thicker is too clumsy.

Since the price of these dolls seems to have gone through the roof recently, I advise you to treasure the ones that you already own, let them live in warm houses and supply them all with umbrellas!

February 15, 2016 at 4:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

?

February 15, 2016 at 4:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

It does seem as though the problem of posting in the Forums is widespread...

February 15, 2016 at 6:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Oh, lordy! This topic of Rosemary's is now followed by three phantoms, but it's still not updating the posts!

February 15, 2016 at 10:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Zoe H
Administrator

Some useful tips there, Rosemary, thank you. All that talk of moths and rust makes me feel quite faint...! I've often wondered about moulding feet from Milliput because you could insert a wire before it dried, though I haven't tried yet - not as heavy as lead (or whatever is used these days) but it does have some weight so it might work. Here is a link to Valerie's excellent article:

http://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/issue18sept2013p13.htm

--

Zoe

https://trulymadlytiny.blogspot.co.uk

http://grecondale.com

February 16, 2016 at 1:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Thanks for posting that link, Zoie. I am hopeless at that sort of thing. Some of my dolls have had Milliput feet put on by previous owners and they are too light. My black girls have silver Melon feet made with a heavier "metal" moulding material which is better, but I don't know the name of it or even if it is still available. I bought the dolls about ten years ago from the maker at a Craft Fair.

February 16, 2016 at 4:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

lallyp

I have just bought a Job L:ot of Road kill Grecons & I am happy to do a step by step if anyone is interested!

--

Valerie Towers

February 16, 2016 at 5:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

lallyp

The site has gone MAD!

--

Valerie Towers

February 16, 2016 at 5:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

lallyp

I can't delete these, sorry!  I will be refacing a couple of the RK Grecons!

--

Valerie Towers

February 16, 2016 at 5:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Freda Knight

Really good to have access to all this excellent and useful advice on Grecons.  Look forward to seeing all these restored little characters.

February 16, 2016 at 6:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Judy C

Mea Culpa. Mea Culpa. MEA CULPA!!!!!!!

--

February 16, 2016 at 7:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Judy C

lallyp at February 16, 2016 at 5:21 AM

I have just bought a Job L:ot of Road kill Grecons & I am happy to do a step by step if anyone is interested!

Yes please Valerie.

--

February 16, 2016 at 7:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Yes Val would be interesting.

February 16, 2016 at 8:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Seems that Grecons have taken over the Forums for a while., having problems posting.

February 16, 2016 at 8:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Jan at February 16, 2016 at 8:31 AM

Seems that Grecons have taken over the Forums for a while., having problems posting.

Everyone is, Jan. Posts are uploading - eventually - despite the error message which is displaying after clicking Submit.

I have just sent an email for help to Webs Support.

Other topics can be accessed via the Forum menu. Click on the More... link under the stuck Recent Forum Posts menu and open General Discussion in the Forum menu (or any recent posts in any of the other sections).

February 16, 2016 at 8:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

O.k thanks Julie.

February 16, 2016 at 1:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Frances

I would love to see more info on restoring Grecons as the prices for examples in good condition are nearing £100!

February 16, 2016 at 1:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Freda Knight

I've never seen so many Grecons for sale - as I have recently.  Lovely to see them though.

February 16, 2016 at 2:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

lallyp

Never wash a Grecon, 'cos his wire will turn to rust.

Rewire him, redress him, reface him if you must.

A broken leg may start to droop, but if he's lost a foot yoru're in the soup!

His hair might thin & legs unwind, his face could fade but you won't mind

Because he'll become your dearest friend

Although moth WILL get him in the end! 

(A grecon owners lament!)

--

Valerie Towers

February 16, 2016 at 7:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Claire Quick

lallyp at February 16, 2016 at 7:14 PM

Never wash a Grecon, 'cos his wire will turn to rust.

Rewire him, redress him, reface him if you must.

A broken leg may start to droop, but if he's lost a foot yoru're in the soup!

His hair might thin & legs unwind, his face could fade but you won't mind

Because he'll become your dearest friend

Although moth WILL get him in the end! 

(A grecon owners lament!)

Very good Valerie ��

February 17, 2016 at 3:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.