Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > Renovation/ restoration/ creation > Our own homes in miniature?

Trumble's Mum

My daughter-in-law is originally from Japan and this question is because of something she was considering. Has anybody here made a scale model of their own home?

Y spent her early years in a traditional and very old Japanese house that has now been demolished. Her memories and the history of her family were very much wrapped up in that house and she has considered making a model of it from her parents' memories of it as well as her own, but is also thinking of a range of houses in a small scale as a sort of 3D family history for the baby that is on the way.

This may not be a project to undertake lightly and will, in general, have to wait until she and my son finally buy their own home instead of renting short-term, but it is a wonderful idea as she has lived in Australia and London too so that, along with an ancient and a modern Japanese home would require at least 4 houses. My son has a VERY mixed recent ancestry - Spanish, West African,Scots, Welsh, Irish and English (rural Yorkshire) and his step-father is from Vermont. This baby could be a very confused little person in a cultural sense!! In our side of the family, it is made harder y the fact that my mother was informally adopted, so I had 6 grandparents, rather than 4.

So, we were wondering about the possibility of building a 'street' of mini houses that are like the ones that each set of family members might, or did, grow up in over the last three or four generations( we have no home address for the Irish or Scots contingent so could not be too exact there).

My question to anybody who has built a model of their own home(s), be that using a house as they can still measure or from memory, did they find any books or on-line articles to help them?

Jenni

--

December 13, 2015 at 1:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

I know Johnny was doing the house his grandparents lived in only think he was going from memory rather than books, Thats a nice idea.

December 13, 2015 at 4:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

jill

One of my houses is based on my own house: http://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=176413197

My father made it in the early 1980's, adapting my home to make all the rooms accessible from the front. As a result it has the same number of rooms arranged over four floors instead of two and our galleried landing became a three floor hall. The exterior is similarly adapted but true to the original. Internally I've finally managed to recreate most f the 1980s furniture we had (and still have to some extent). I think the adaption has worked well as everything is easily accessible and I don’t have to move it to get inside.

December 13, 2015 at 10:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alicia Davies

Yes I have a scaled replica of my childhood home. It's still I decorated . I had it made after my father died with money mum and dad left me. It was made from pictures I took before the house was sold,George Parker made it.

December 13, 2015 at 5:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Faith Eaton had a fabulous replica of her family house in London, and it was furnished beautifully. I believe that it was kept in the family and not sold with the rest of her wonderful collection.

December 14, 2015 at 5:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Thanks for your replies and help, ladies.
Rosemary, do you know if there is a photo of Faith's house anywhere? It sounds wonderful.

--

December 14, 2015 at 6:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Comfort

what a great idea! i looked at your album, trumble's mom...wonderful! "lucky" you!

--

December 14, 2015 at 2:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Thanks, Comfort. My D-i-Law is a very, very creative young woman and my daughter is an architect by training, so I think they will collaborate on building these houses whilst I just sit round looking for furnishings on the internet.  I'm a player and not particularly artistic - got thrown out of the art class, not because I was badly behaved but because the poor art teacher couldn't work out what on earth to do with me - so I'd probably do more harm than good if I interfered in the building side of thing. I know what I'd LIKE things to look like, but it never quite works out as my hand/eye coordination doesn't match my ambitions. :/
I have been very lucky with my houses though, all were either the right house at the right price at the right time or gifts......It is a recent addicton - I blame retirement, though I've looked longingly for decades, so I could also blame the internet as the affordable vintage house market rose up for me when that came along.
  Jenni

--

December 14, 2015 at 2:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Debbie S

I did consider doing this but it's very hard to try and match wallpapers and carpet patterns.  You never know though if I ever got a Mountfield I might give it a go.

December 15, 2015 at 6:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Trumble's Mum at December 14, 2015 at 6:20 AM

Thanks for your replies and help, ladies.
Rosemary, do you know if there is a photo of Faith's house anywhere? It sounds wonderful.

I don't Jenni. but Michal Morse might. She is a member and she used to lodge with Faith during the week day many years ago. She will know her collection well.

December 15, 2015 at 8:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

Christopher Cole's book Make Your Own Dolls' House gives guidelines on creating a dolls house front based on real houses. He talks about how to take a photo and then get dimensions from it - and what to do if the only photo you can get is from the street looking up, so there is some distortion (eg the top of the house receding, looking narrower than the bottom). He gives some guidance on drawing up floor plans, too. Might be worth a look.

--

Rebecca :)

December 20, 2015 at 2:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

jenny

There is a picture of Faith Eaton's London home in her "The Ultimate Dolls' House Book"  on page 134. It is not attributed to her but she lived in Clifton Gardens in London and this is the same house in miniature..also if you look carefully this is the Dolls House which is behind her on the inside back of the  dust cover.  There is no picture of the inside of the house sadly.

December 20, 2015 at 4:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

It was a wonderful house, Faith was very precise in the details. I remember a gas fire in one of the attic rooms, made specially for her to mimic the real one. She used to brush the stair carpets with an electric toothbrush.

December 20, 2015 at 6:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mehitabel

I miss the house I grew up in, and oddly, almost all my dreams are based in there as if I never moved out, and I left there in 1980!  Would love one day to have the skills to build it.  Although it was an odd house - an old Yorkshire farmhouse that became the first part of a terrace (the other houses added either side, then on one side the lane just kept growing...)  So bits of it were 18thC, bits of it 19thC and the back part pure 1950s!

--

April 28, 2016 at 7:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator

Interesting that other people also dream of their childhood home Mehitabel! My parents had to sell our home when they separated, and even though my sister and I are well grown-up we still dream of this now unattainable house - and we weren't even particularly happy in it ;-)

--

Edel

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shero6820/

April 29, 2016 at 1:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Val Hill

I made the mistake last night of looking at my (very happy) childhood home on Google Earth. The vandals who own it now have completely concreted the front and back garden so the lawn my sister and I played on has gone, and my mothers beloved greenhouse and the vine she nurtured has been demolished and concreted over! 

April 29, 2016 at 2:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

My adored childhood home - we moved away when I was 14. survived until 2000 when someone bought it, let water into it, sealed it up for two years, and then applied to demolish it. Houseicide! It was an awful sight with black mould everywhere. It had been a sunny, happy house before......They demolished it and built a porticoed surburban palace in its place, with double front doors flanked by palms in pots. It looks like a sore thumb in that road.

April 29, 2016 at 2:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator
How appalling, Val and Rosemary
--

Edel

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shero6820/

April 29, 2016 at 3:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Linda B

My dad built our childhood home in 1955, one of those community projects. Terrible metal window frames that ran with water all winter, no central heating and outside wash house.

Looking at google maps it's now much better!

I also found a sold listing with internal photos. I would prefer to live in it now.

--

:)

April 29, 2016 at 6:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mehitabel

My great aunty lived in a house that was a listed building (Tudor cottage - very dolls' house!) It was listed because it had a staircase removed from a ship - that went directly down into the kitchen!  I'm a keen (amateur) genealogist and discovered our ancestors - including a master mariner born 1750 - lived on that street although impossible to pinpoint which house. It was very likely in the family twice over!  (The cottage was left to my mum and her siblings  in her other aunty's will, but this great aunty simply moved into it lock stock and barrel, and my mum was too kind hearted to do anything about it.  When my great aunty died, she willed it to mum's cousin - who moved into it knowing full well it actually belonged to my mum and her siblings.  The deeds were with the same solictor who administered the will. I have no idea how my great aunt was able to leave a house she didn't own, to someone.  If I'd known I'd have done something about it but my dad only told me about 20 years later!

I pass this house all the time - in the next vilage. It has a really unusual half door (the current 'owner' has stuck the old half doors together!)  A few years back it came up for sale and my friend looked round, out of curiosity. He said the 'owner' had been a DIY freak and with no regard to the fact it was a listed building, had covered the house in awful botched projects.

My mum was given a copy of the will that elft the cottage to her and her siblings, right after her aunt's funeral and I have it to this day. The house was very clearly left to mum, so how on earth my great aunt managed to sell it, I have no idea!

I always loved that house and it would make an ace dolls' house. It is double fronted - the DIY owner knocked it through.  The original two tiny living rooms were very atmospheric - house had low beams, built in 19thC cupboards, all kinds of interesting features that my friend tells me have all gone.

--

April 29, 2016 at 7:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.