Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > must smell

jill

I've just bought some beautiful furniture for my Georgian house.  It's exactly what I've been looking for for ages but my excitement turned to extreme disappointment when I opened it.  It smells very musty, possibly with a whiff of nicotine.  Is there a way to get rid of this?  There is no upholstery involved, just painted wood.  I couldn't resist trying it out in my house, odour and all, and it looks gorgeous!

November 24, 2015 at 7:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator
Wrappings things up in newspaper for several days can help, you could also add dried lavender to the parcel.
--

Edel

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shero6820/

November 24, 2015 at 7:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

jill

Thanks Edel.  I'll try that.

November 24, 2015 at 9:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Judy C

Cleaning with cotton buds dipped in: One part white vinegar to 4 parts water might help. 

Also baking soda absorbs smells which you could apply to back and undersides as I can imagine the powder might gets into joins and corners and could look a bit unsightly.

November 24, 2015 at 1:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dale
If it's not too delicate we put it into a bag of cat litter for a while. The litter absorbs the musty smell quite well. Cigarette smoke is a big challenge and a battle I have never been able to win.
November 24, 2015 at 1:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

jill

Thank you for those ideas, giving me plenty of options to try.  it is new furniture which apparently had been stored in a plastic box for some months so I've been airing it all day.

November 24, 2015 at 2:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barbara

I always use furniture polish which cleans and leaves a nice smell, also lemon juice is a good cleanser and deodorizer.

November 25, 2015 at 10:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alicia Davies

it you expose it to air, even this time of year, out in the garden when its not raining eventually like your room in your own house it will clear.If you think of it like your own living room or coats when orginally you went to restaurants where smoking was all round you  its a matter of how to clear it and I do it by hanging clothes before washing or if not washable they will reduce in smell from cigarettes. Somtimes recycled bubblewrap smells of smoke when i receive items off ebay. I am not against smoking at all but if items arrive in bubble wrap that smell of smoke I cannty re-use it as it will send on the smell in my parcels. Cigarette smoke will clear in the air, smoke from fire may or may not and linger thats my experince if it helps.

November 26, 2015 at 6:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Zoe H
Administrator

I've found that too, Alicia. In the summer I got three very smoky Grecons and I left them outside during the day for two days (THE two days we didn't have rain I think!) and they lost the smell completely. (I put a cooling rack over them in case a bird or a cat decided to carry them off!)

--

Zoe

https://trulymadlytiny.blogspot.co.uk

http://grecondale.com

November 27, 2015 at 1:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

jill

Fresh air has worked its magic on most of the pieces.  I've had them on the window sill all week and the smell has pretty well gone.  All that's left is a mattress which still smells bad so I will probably dump that and make another.  Thank you all for your help.

November 27, 2015 at 8:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.