Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > triang house.

Marion B

I have just been given a My home contemporary dolls house by Triang. It is unmade in its original box. Unfortunately the only things missing are the windows. What would other members do? Photos in gallery.

--

Marion Bewley

May 11, 2015 at 8:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

A tricky one, Marion! The windows are going to be almost impossible to find. They are the same design as those on the A, B, and C Bungalows, and the U and V houses, which are rarely seen for sale, and the windows are often missing or damaged when they are.  I suppose I would construct non-opening substitutes to fit the openings from acrylic/butyrate sheet and either white-painted wood or Plastruct mouldings. Do you have the "reeded glass" doors? They would be much harder to create replacements for.

This is a rare model, and to find one in unused condition, doubly so! Rosemary has had one from when it was sold in the My Home magazine offer, and it is the precursor of the very similar C Bungalow. It will take up a lot of space once put together!

May 11, 2015 at 9:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

No kidding about the space issue! Mine is next to the computer but stacked up with the three sections in a pile, which is why it has not yet been featured in the gracious Greconville homes "magazine" Some of my doors are off the hinges - they incredibly delicate and utterlly unsuitablke for a child's toy. Same applies to the windows.

May 11, 2015 at 10:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Marion B

Hi Julie. It came with the pages from My Home mag.The box will pobably end up in the attic as I will not be making it up.

--

Marion Bewley

May 11, 2015 at 10:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Look at Greconville Tales no.11 Marion, and somewhere in the middle of the story there is your house made up and being lived in,  It may whet your appetite to have a go with yours. The 1960's is your oyster!

May 12, 2015 at 2:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Val Hill

It looks lovely, Rosemary, a very nice project with lots of scope. If you look at my  greconsfield story "Alberts bachelor pad" the windows are made of painted card, and no-one said uuuughhh! To them.

May 12, 2015 at 8:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

What have you decided, Marion?

May 14, 2015 at 4:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Marion B

I am still looking for a way to do the windows. I may sell it on  but as I have no idea how much it is worth and have never sold anything before I just dont  know where to start

--

Marion Bewley

May 19, 2015 at 4:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

I don't think they sell for very much, their finished size being the problem. I have seen them for sale in the past and they do not sell quickly. Fine for display in a museum but they take about 6ft X 4foot to display.  That's a bit of a guess., but it is approximatly the size of the top of my chest freezer where I had it when I restored it.  Maybe you could offer it to a museum that displays toys?

May 20, 2015 at 2:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Marion B at May 19, 2015 at 4:11 PM

I am still looking for a way to do the windows. I may sell it on  but as I have no idea how much it is worth and have never sold anything before I just dont  know where to start

Amazingly, there's a large window listed on eBay just now (along with a double door): 301638141211, BIN. Both are from the range of spares sold by Tri-ang in the early 1960s, and are still in their original packaging. I've never seen any of the Tri-ang components for sale before.

If only I had the space, I'd have it!

May 20, 2015 at 3:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Well, they were sold when I looked- Marion, was it you?

Julie, I think that you would be a perfect owner for this house, space permitting, and it would be most interesting to see how you would furnish it.

When time permits, Greconville Life will visit mine and Bryan will have re-created the interior to Spot-On back in the 1960s.for reader's pleasure.

May 21, 2015 at 4:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Val Hill

I'll look forward to seeing that, Rosemary, I have quite a lot of spot on furniture and nowhere to display it. 

May 22, 2015 at 5:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.