Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Myrtles miniatures.

ilenalana

Have any of you heard of this wonderful artisan miniaturist,.. Valerie Stubbs?  I was told about her recently and was given her phone number as I was told she used to have an open day once a month to show her display of houses.   I rang her and we had a nice little chat and arranged a visit for today. Steve and I went this afternoon......Oh my goodness....she is awesome, We were blown away by the exquisite work of this amazing lady.   She not only built the houses herself but also made everything in them...apart from the lighting and the pottery items.  Beautifully crafted furniture, rugs, soft furnishings using the most beautiful fabrics. Hand painted items, dolls dressed in gorgeous clothes.... everything  absolutely flawless and such fantastic detail.  The best we have ever seen anyway.  Her work has to be seen to be believed.

Valerie has made some pieces to sell and I have agreed to sell them in my shop and on my website, she also has kits she made to sell amongst other things so I'm going to see her again in two weeks time to spend an afternoon sorting it all out.  I am going to take my camera and take photo's of her houses, Valerie has kindly agreed that I can post them on here for you all to see. 

April 19, 2014 at 1:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

chris g

Wow sounds amazing, really looking forward to seeing the photos.

April 19, 2014 at 2:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

lallyp

Fantastic, Eileen!

--

Valerie Towers

April 19, 2014 at 3:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Looking forward to seeing them

April 19, 2014 at 3:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Wendy Stephen

That sounds really good, look forward to seeing the photo's :)

April 19, 2014 at 3:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

christine jaeger

Is she related to Robert Stubbs? They have those glorious Tudor houses?   ��❤️

--

christine xx

April 19, 2014 at 5:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

12Create

Sounds like you have made a great contact Eileen both for yourself and for your shop. I look forward to seeing the photos of her houses. Will you be offering postage to overseas destinations for things like her kits in time when you have your website set up to show pictures? So excited for you in your new venture, ably assisted by Steve of course.

--

Sharee

April 19, 2014 at 7:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Comfort

exciting! your "first" contact! yous go! lol

--

April 19, 2014 at 8:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ilenalana

christine jaeger at April 19, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Is she related to Robert Stubbs? They have those glorious Tudor houses?   ��❤️

I didn't ask  but I will next time I go, Valerie has a Tudor house she made and I have to say it is better than any Robert Stubbs I have seen, her work is museum quality.

Oh and she has a Gorgeous Charles Renee Mackintosh in her collection, the interior is superb and the furniture fabulous.  I am totally in awe of this skilled talented ( and very modest ) lady.   Such superb craftmanship,  I can't praise her enough.  I will be sure to get lots of photo's so you can see for yourself.

April 20, 2014 at 2:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ilenalana

12Create at April 19, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Sounds like you have made a great contact Eileen both for yourself and for your shop. I look forward to seeing the photos of her houses. Will you be offering postage to overseas destinations for things like her kits in time when you have your website set up to show pictures? So excited for you in your new venture, ably assisted by Steve of course.

Yes Sharee,   Part of my plan is to source and sell nice artisan made pieces and here I find this lady only about 4 miles away.  I was only going to enjoy seeing her houses and maybe buy one or two bits for personal use ( I knew she sold items to make money for her charity).  I came back totally inspired and so glad I went......I will post overseas when I'm up and running Sharee so if there is anything you would like I'll make sure you get it. Lol    

April 20, 2014 at 2:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Comfort

ooo me, too! send things to me! (with payment of course! lol)

--

April 20, 2014 at 9:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Valerie Stubbs sounds amazing, Eileen. I'm not familiar with her work - I can't wait for your photos!

April 20, 2014 at 12:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

How wonderful that she lives so near to you. Can't wait to see the photos.

--

April 20, 2014 at 2:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ilenalana

We went to see Valerie again yesterday and spent 4 hours going through her stuff and taking photo's.  We came back with a car load of supplies that we bought and Steve had to go back today for the rest.  I also bought her miniature lathe and other tools so now I just have to learn how to use it.  Valerie is sorting out her kits for me to collect later and she is also going to make other things for me to sell in my shop.  She is a fantastic lady, she also suggested that she would come and do a workshop if I can get a small group of customers to come.  I am totally in awe of this lady and will be posting photo's of her work soon.  I won't have time to caption them all at first  ( I am so busy I shouldn't be on here in the first place )  but will bob in to add bits when I can fit it in.  When you see the photo's... remember that these are all built by her from scratch...everything inside and out, the only things she didn't make are pottery/china items and dolls heads.  She made the lights herself too, sometimes copying other lights she had seen or designs from books.   Many of the items are her own designs, this is a very clever lady.    I will have to dribble the photo's on as and when....We took about 130 photo's but I have to say that nothing beats seeing everything in the flesh ( so to speak).  So ..if ever you are in this part of the world you must go and visit her. 

May 8, 2014 at 12:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ilenalana

P-S...She IS a distant relative of Robert Stubbs.  Her family history and that of Robert Stubbs go back to the same village. Apparently he is in his eighties now and she doesn't think he will make any more houses..he hasn't made any for some time. 

May 8, 2014 at 12:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ilenalana

I have uploaded a batch of photo's and will keep adding more in small batches .......the best is yet to come...Her Art  Deco house is stunning and the furnishings and detail are second to none....You will see for yourself.

May 9, 2014 at 3:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

annabelle

Well, I have just looked through the photos, and am now sitting here like a goldfish, mouth open. Absolutely perfect, beautiful. Talented doesn't even begin to describe her, the quality is exquisite.

--

May 9, 2014 at 2:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

ilenalana at May 8, 2014 at 12:54 PM

P-S...She IS a distant relative of Robert Stubbs.  Her family history and that of Robert Stubbs go back to the same village. Apparently he is in his eighties now and she doesn't think he will make any more houses..he hasn't made any for some time. 

It appears that Robert Stubbs has sold his brand name and designs to someone else, as happened with "Sid Cooke Dolls Houses", owned for some years by Megan and Stephen Messenger. A "new exhibitor" at the Kensington Dollshouse Festival next weekend (May 17/18) will be "Robert Stubbs Dolls Houses" with the artisan listed as Chandresh Khatri.

May 14, 2014 at 6:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Patty W

That's interesting, Julie. Are you going to Kensington this time? 

May 14, 2014 at 6:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Yes! I'm sure you've seen that I've opened a new topic, asking if anyone else from here will be there, by now, Patty!

May 14, 2014 at 6:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.