Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Help with scale please

KateSW

Please can anyone help me by confirming what scale the ELC Georgian house is and also the Triang Stockbroker?. The windows are 10cm square in the Stockbroker which I was told was 1:12 but I want to be sure.

I have been looking on ebay and discovered I have expensive tastes in furniture for the Triang so I don't want to make any expensive mistakes!. Thanks :-)

December 28, 2013 at 4:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jane

Can't help on the scale thing but Margaret Towner's book on Dolls House Furniture is a great introduction to the various types of furniture around, there's usually a second-hand copy floating around on ebay etc.

December 28, 2013 at 6:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

lallyp

Hi, Kate the ELC & the stockbroker are 1/12th but here is a warning, not all furniture listed 1/12th is the same.  Some is BIG 1/12th & some is smaller 1/12th. 

Confused?  Well we all were to start with!  Modern 1/12th is generally true to scale, older stuff can be a bit hit & miss.  Some older furniture was made in more than one scale ie. Pit-a-Pat.

In my Stockbroker I have used Triang/ Elgin dark wood furniture, (1/12th) &  in my Triang 91 I have used Triang Queen Anne, also 1/12th, but the sofa & chairs are smallish in the QA range compared with the beds, wardrobes etc. 

Olivia's ELC Georgian has a pot pourri of stuff bought on ebay , some missing legs which I replaced & bits from houses I bought with furniture in them.  Sometimes; & we have all done it; I have bought stuff specifically for a particular house, put it in & although the scale may be ok, the pieces look wrong.  It is a learning curve.  Sorry not to have been more helpful.

--

Valerie Towers

December 28, 2013 at 7:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

chris g

I find it helps to make paper templates of the measurements given and try these in your house first to help you decide.

December 29, 2013 at 6:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

lallyp

That does help with size, Chris,but I always buy what I like & find a house for it later!  Not the most sensible option!

--

Valerie Towers

December 29, 2013 at 6:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jane

More fun, though, Valerie...

December 29, 2013 at 7:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

KateSW

Very helpful replies Thankyou.

Jane I will keep a look out for that book.

LallyP, that's great information and is very helpful-and please don't encourage me to buy any more dolls houses or there will be a divorce!.

Chris G- That's a great idea-simple but didn't occur to me!.

i understand the older stuff is variable but on the whole;

is all Triang 1:12?

Is Barton 1:12?

I have a collection of Britains, Taylor Barrett etc mainly equine related 1:32 - is the lead dolls house stuff also 1:32?.

What scale is Lundby?

Are there any other manufacturers other than Elgin to look out for?

I would like to buy furniture which is mainly the same era as the house. I have some pieces which I like but need some other bits such as bedroom furniture and a bathroom basin and toilet.

December 29, 2013 at 3:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

lallyp

Barton is 1/16th & so is Lundby.  Triang Spot On is 1/16th & Dol Toi too. Some Dol Toi is  almost 1/24th.  I think Walterhausen is 1/12th but I don't collect it, too dear!

Triang Queen Anne is mainly 1/12th as is Elgin & Elgin made for Triang which is unmarked but otherwise identical to marked Elgin furniture.  Schneegas comes in at least three sizes but some of it is 1/12th, I have quite a lot of Schneegas Cherrywood in Suffolk House.  Pit-a-Pat does  1/12th but also smaller sizes.

There are lots of German pieces on ebay from time to time & a lot of them can  be 1/12th.  Ask the Seller for the measurements if you are not sure & apply Chris's template plan.

Triang made a bath specially for their houses & a dresser, cooker,  range & kitchen sink.  My Stocks.  came with Rusco fittings in the bathroom & these go very well with the Triang bath.  Have a trawl through the Triang Album & see what other people have used.

Triang didn't make a basin for the bathroom but I made my own & I used a german toilet with cistern dating from about 1910.

--

Valerie Towers

December 29, 2013 at 5:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Patty W

Does scale matter in a Stockbroker?...if i had one i would not be bothered about scale that much. I think Jenny's 'Enid Blyton' Stockbroker is a lovely and charming example of a naieve vintage style that is easily achieveable and looks adorable. Children playing with their dolls house all those years ago, would have added the things they liked that were affordable and represented what they knew, concernes about perfect scale would not have been an issue...having said that, not everyone shares that opinion, some love perfection. You will eventualy decide on the style you like, Kate. 

December 29, 2013 at 6:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

christine jaeger
I like the querkiness that comes with furnishing a vintage dolls house.. If I take a liking to something I can usually find a spot for it..
--

christine xx

December 29, 2013 at 7:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

lallyp

I'm with you on that Christine!

--

Valerie Towers

December 29, 2013 at 7:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

Kate, as your Stockbroker is post-war (with that timber grain flooring), there would have been quite a few makes around, including many that were in the house - Barton, Dol-toi, Kensalcraft, Kleeware, plus some German and Japanese furniture. Elgin was only made in the 20s, and neither Triang period furniture nor Pit-a-Pat was made after the war. However, some handed down pieces might well have been around.

I don't have my books with me at the moment, but I think both Barton and Dol-toi made some larger scale pieces as well as the more common 1/16th. As others have said, best to check the actual measurements to get an idea of how they'll fit.

You might like to have a look at KT Miniatures website as well as ebay  - Celia sells vintage furnishings as well as her own creations, and has them listed by room, and some by make (Dol-toi, Barton, etc).

--

Rebecca :)

December 30, 2013 at 2:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

I think that the house itself dictates what furniture it needs. The Stockbroker has internal doors that are quite out of proportion to the exterior so I feel this is an "anything goes" house. My DHE CRM - hope people are reading this codeing!- and DHE Lutyens demand perfection in scale and contents and so have a quite different feel about them, The CRM bathroom is on another planet compared to the Stockbroker! This difference makes for variety and each house gets it's own personality. The Ketteridge house is furnished with the furniture of it's date - early 70s and nothing else is allowed in. The big 14 takes German 1/12 th well, but confusion can occur in a 12 where the scale is between Stockbroker size and big Lines rooms with higher ceilings.Some Triang furniture can look too small in it although the furniture is contemporary to the house. I have sometimes copied large Victorian pieces, scaled down to fit my houses. This furniture does not bear close inspection but looks effective and can be a good start to furnishing a house.

December 30, 2013 at 4:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

KateSW

That's all very helpful information Thankyou.

Patty- no I'm not bothered at all about scale per se I just don't want to make an expensive purchase to find that it looks completely out of place so hopefully I can start with a little bit of knowledge as to what may be about right.

I have just bought the book Janes recommended on Amazon for £2.81- bargain!. I'm not in a hurry to buy so will read that first.

I have a box full of furniture which lots of you have kindly identified for me so I think I. will spend an hour in an evening going through it to see which bits look right and which bits don't.

can anyone recommend and doll house fairs etc in the south west / midlands that are worth going to for inspiration?

I suddenly seem to have acquired a new hobby!

December 30, 2013 at 4:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jane

I hope you enjoy Margaret Towner's book, Kate, there are lots of lovely piccies. I think she underrates the Barton furniture (but then it is the furniture of my childhood so I love it to bits), but keep an eye out for the Barton Tudor range -- it is a bit bigger than the usual Barton, especially the four-poster bed, and more sought after (and more expensive) but it looks really good in the Stockbroker type houses. 

Patty, thank you for reminding me how charming Jenny's houses are, I've just spent a lovely time looking at them again. I do love the 'slideshow' feature on this website, it's almost like being there!

December 30, 2013 at 5:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Zoe H
Administrator

I can tell you've got it bad, Kate! This is exactly what happened to me in March, you will need to start saving immediately and also setting the seeds in the OH's mind that one can never have too many dolls' houses!

--

Zoe

https://trulymadlytiny.blogspot.co.uk

http://grecondale.com

December 30, 2013 at 5:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jane

The good thing about a Stockbroker is that it takes so much furniture, it will take you a while to fill it (and work on OH in the meantime). And almost anything else you buy is bound to be smaller beside it (you really have started with one of the creme de la creme of dolls houses!)

December 30, 2013 at 5:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jane

By the way, the lead furniture depends on the maker. The Britains dolls house accessories (pots and pans and jugs and bowls) are on the large side if you are mostly using 1/12th scale (I tend to hang them on the wall or stand them on the floor!) but still look charming if you don't mind that. The Taylor Barrett stuff more or less matches Barton 16th scale -- their metal fireplaces I find particularly charming and they make a really nice small fireplace in a Triang if you are missing any, for smaller rooms like nurseries and bathrooms etc. If you decide to buy from a dealer, like Celia at KT or Dale and Michelle at Kitty Mac on ebay, you may pay quite a bit more for any particular piece but they offer great service -- make use of their experience and knowledge, ask them lots of questions if you are interested in a piece, ask them if they think it will suit the scale you are thinking of, check the measurements they give and finally, if it is a mistake, I believe they both offer a great return service. Kitty Mac certainly does. But that is probably advice for further in the future (though just looking at their sites is an education in itself). The best way to avoid expensive mistakes when starting out (though we all make them) is probably just to look at and read about everything as much as you can, before you start too much buying, and take any chance to see examples in the flesh by visiting other collectors' collections and museums with collections etc. You are lucky though, you already have some lovely bits of furniture.

December 30, 2013 at 6:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Zoe H
Administrator

I often make the conversions from the measurements and if, for example, a chair back would come up to my chest I know it's not the right scale for my house.  Of course, you have to know the scale of your house but you can equally compare the meaurements to existing furniture you are using in the house.

--

Zoe

https://trulymadlytiny.blogspot.co.uk

http://grecondale.com

December 30, 2013 at 7:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

cestina

I tend to work very much by eye.   If it looks right then I don't really worry about the scale.

But the advantage of having many houses is that I can usually find a place for pretty well anything regardless of the scale.

Speaking of scale - I was very taken aback by the size of the Art Deco Triang I have just picked up.  For some reason I had it firmly in my head as in the same size range as the 61s.  It's now going to be even more of a problem to fit into Small Worlds than I had anticipated.....

--

Cestina's Dollshouses: https://czechdollshouses.blogspot.com/2019/04/in-eclectic-manor_20.html" target="_blank">In an Eclectic Manor

December 30, 2013 at 8:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.