Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > What's my house? > Can you help Rick?

Anna-Maria C Sviatko

Rick is wondering if anyone might have some information on a recent addition to his dollhouse collection.

Go to our Mystery houses page  for further details...

July 6, 2010 at 7:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Susanne.G.

Interesting house.  As it's a Scottish company it might be worth trying the Museum of Childhood in Edinburgh. I believe they will take written enquiries.

--
July 6, 2010 at 9:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

How fascinating, Rick - another house that sort of looks like a Triang (the kind some ebay sellers will insist IS a Triang, even when you point out the differences) - and has Romside windows like many other small manufacturers' houses as well as homemade Hobbies and Handicrafts houses. If it weren't for the label, we might well have thought this one was homemade. I haven't come across this company - the museum Susanne suggested is probably a good place to start. I did see a catalogue for an exhibition of dolls houses in Scotland on ebay - don't know who won that copy, but I think the exhibition itself had been at the Museum of Childhood. Look forward to learning more!

By the way, where did you come across this house?

July 6, 2010 at 10:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rick

Susanne.G. at July 6, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Interesting house.  As it's a Scottish company it might be worth trying the Museum of Childhood in Edinburgh. I believe they will take written enquiries.

Thanks Susanne! That's a good idea, I'll see if I can find a contact for the museum.

Rick

July 6, 2010 at 6:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rick

Rebecca Green at July 6, 2010 at 10:50 AM

How fascinating, Rick - another house that sort of looks like a Triang (the kind some ebay sellers will insist IS a Triang, even when you point out the differences) - and has Romside windows like many other small manufacturers' houses as well as homemade Hobbies and Handicrafts houses. If it weren't for the label, we might well have thought this one was homemade. I haven't come across this company - the museum Susanne suggested is probably a good place to start. I did see a catalogue for an exhibition of dolls houses in Scotland on ebay - don't know who won that copy, but I think the exhibition itself had been at the Museum of Childhood. Look forward to learning more!

By the way, where did you come across this house?

Thanks Rebecca! If it wasn't for the label, I would have guessed that it was a Hobbies house. I'm assuming that it may be from the 1950's, but that's just a guess. I purchased it on eBay, and It's rather small. The house is only 8" deep, 15" wide, and 15" to the top of the roof. The base is larger. It has two rooms, the first floor has a herringbone patterned paper, and the 2nd floor has two plain paper "rugs".

I'll have to get busy with my research and will post any info here that I'm able to find!

July 6, 2010 at 7:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barbara

I have just seen a huge OD Products house for sale on ebay no.

180533262944 very large six room art deco house, so they were obviously quite a big concern, very interesting house.

July 20, 2010 at 4:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Linda B

Barbara,

I saw that house on ebay too.

I love it, but cant bid as have no room :(

--

:)

July 20, 2010 at 8:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Barbara

It is lovely isn't it Linda, so different, but I haven't got room either!

July 20, 2010 at 2:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Linda B

Barbara,

saying that, going to Sweden next week to stay with a collector.

Shes just sent a list of all the houses she has for sale.

Oh dear, might need a larger suitcase!

--

July 20, 2010 at 3:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barbara

Perhaps you had better book another seat Linda!

July 20, 2010 at 5:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rick

Barbara - thanks for posting the eBay item number for the O.D. dollhouse (or is that an apartment building??). It's really a great one.

Mine has the same label and red door. I still haven't been able to find any info on this company.

July 23, 2010 at 3:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anna-Maria C Sviatko

Thanks for clearing up a mystery for me: there was an identical apartment block on eBay a couple of years ago that I was lusting after (http://theshoppingsherpa.blogspot.com/2008/09/one-that-got-away-too.html)

July 23, 2010 at 5:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Linda B

I was going to say it was the same house, but the one you were after, Anna-Maria, didnt have the label under the front door.

Looks as though we all like this house!

--

July 23, 2010 at 6:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Linda B

Wow, it made £180!

--

July 25, 2010 at 6:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

I've just done a quick search of British phone books on Ancestry, and found an entry for

O.D. Construction, Wdwkrs, 2 Wellington st. PAIsley 4533

in the 1957 phone book for Glasgow.

(Paisley is in Renfrewshire, not far from Glasgow, in the south west of Scotland.)

I haven't found entries in other years yet, but this looks likely for the makers of 'An O.D. Product'.

By the way, Rick, the description of the art deco 3 storey house said that the label showed an acorn with oak leaves. It looks much more like a thistle in the photo to me, and that would make more sense for a Scottish product. (Although, of course, woodworkers might use oak as a symbol in any country.) Can you tell from the label on your house what it is?

July 26, 2010 at 5:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rick

Rebecca ~ That's a nice bit of information, thanks! Perhaps this could be the company that made the house.

I've contacted the Museum of Childhood in Edinburgh, but haven't received a response yet.

The label on my house clearly shows a thistle design:

July 28, 2010 at 4:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

Redrickshaw is the lucky new owner of the O.D. Product art deco three storey building, and has posted photos on her flickr site.

August 3, 2010 at 12:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

Hi again Rick, I've just looked through other phone directories, and found that

O.D. Construction, Wdwkrs, 2 Wellington st. PAIsley 4533

is first listed in 1956, and then again in 1957 and 1958 - but in 1958 there is also a listing for

O. D. Products, Toy Mfrs, 20 Blythswood st C2 ph CENtral 5584

(that's in Glasgow).

From 1959 to 1970, the only listing is for O. D. Products in Glasgow - O. D. Construction in Paisley doesn't continue after 1958, and O.D. Products is not listed in Glasgow after 1970.

So I suspect that they started in Paisley as general woodworkers, found their toys were very successful, set up in Glasgow as toy makers in 1958, and ceased the general woodworking business after that. The dolls houses with the O. D. Product label probably date to between 1958 and 1970.

The British telephone directories don't list owners, or have any way of finding that out (unlike US city directories) - maybe Marion Osborne would have some listings from Toys and Games or other industry publications?

August 7, 2010 at 3:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rick

Hi Rebecca,

Great detective work! Thanks so much for taking the time to look up this information, I'm going to print this out and keep it with the house.

Hopefully there are other owners of O.D. Product dollhouses out there that will share their houses on here. I'd love to see others that the company made!

August 7, 2010 at 8:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hazel

I only have a memory of my dolls house. It looked like some of the Triang ones but I've never seen exactly the one. Since I was brought up in centre of Scotland, I now wonder if it was an OD one. It had an arch but it never opened. I had to put the furniture in through windows. It was pop together stuff so I had to try and put it together when it was in. I never played with it for obvious reasons. I don't think it was one made since it had the flowers etc on the outside. I would love to know what it was.

March 19, 2017 at 5:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Search This Site

Translate This Site