Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Dolls' houses in books/ movies?

Anna-Maria C Sviatko

I thought it would be fun to start a thread on movies you've seen or books you've read that include a dolls' house in it somewhere.

In the movie Groundhog Day there's a dolls' house in the downstairs breakfast/ lounge room.

February 19, 2010 at 2:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barbara

This is very sad that I know this, but there is a large modern dollshouse being tidied up, in the nursery at the beginning in "Mary Poppins"!

February 19, 2010 at 3:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Joan

There is a wonderful old dolls house in "Miss Potter",I have watched that film so many times.There is also Beatrix Potter's own dolls house at Hilltop farm in Cumbria.

February 19, 2010 at 6:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

christine jaeger

i think i remember seeing an episode of ghost whisperer, not long ago with a huge

haunted dolls house. it was a replica of their childhood home. (fiction, of course)

February 19, 2010 at 6:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

Andrew Taylor's book Toyshop has a dolls house in it. It's a thriller, about a man from the GDR who is given his deceased brother's job working to improve East German toy exports to England (very basic toys, so don't get too excited about that!) But the dolls house is pretty special.

And thanks for these movie titles :-)

February 20, 2010 at 2:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Penelope Beaumont

I can remember a story being read on Jackanory, written by Rumer Godden about a dollshouse and the 4 dolls that occupied said house; but I can't remember the title......  First senior moment of the day!!:roll:

February 20, 2010 at 3:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Penelope Beaumont

I have remembered! it is called Tottie. All right I didn't really remember, I googled Rumer Godden and there it was. Reading down the list of all the stories she has written I realise how many of them I have read and enjoyed, so I think you could say I am a fan.

February 20, 2010 at 4:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Barbara

Beatrix Potter's "The tale of two bad mice" is a story about a dolls house and the two naughty mice that go in there when no one is looking.

February 20, 2010 at 4:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

I also love Rumer Godden. She wrote several books about dolls houses - the one I know with Tottie is called The Dolls House. I've put some scans of the illustrations from the edition we had as kids on my flickr page. She also wrote Miss Happiness and Miss Flower and Little Plum about Japanese dolls and a dolls house made for them. Oh, and I almost forgot The Mouse House!

And Through the Dolls House Door by Jane Gardam is another great story about a dolls house, its inhabitants and the children who play with it.

February 20, 2010 at 7:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Linda B

An obvious book (if you like Lundby houses) is Salame & Signor from the late 80s.

Its the story of  the adventures of 2 children who live in a dolls house.

The illustrations show different Lundby houses and furniture.

I have the book and the real house that goes with it.

--

:)

February 20, 2010 at 9:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anna-Maria C Sviatko

I LOVED Rumer Godden when I was a child (odd that, since I also loved my dolls house) and bought a copy of The Dolls House second hand when my exhibition was on.

Another children's book that is set in a dolls house is Jane Gardam's Through the dolls' house door.

Can we count The Borrowers series?

February 20, 2010 at 1:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hayley

Yes please, I know the borrowers. My friend had a dolls house she kept in the shed and mice lived in that (and ate it)

--

Hayley

February 20, 2010 at 4:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Daniels Dollshouse

I know a lot about the dollshouse in Miss Potter, I provided all the contents for it. The Props people contacted me to dress the house for them. We went to Pinewood a couple of times and resourced all the furnishings. Some of it was antique, some of it modern that was aged up. We waited with great excitement for the film to come out and the house only appeared for about 20 seconds! Still, it was fun.

Daniel

February 21, 2010 at 4:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Wendy Stephen

Hi Daniel,

I could imagine that was very exciting and great fun.

Wendy :)

February 21, 2010 at 5:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

christine jaeger

hi, daniel, it never ceases to amaze me, the amount of interesting things that happen happen, because or through some of the hobbies that we have. sometimes it is much more than a hobby, more a lifestyle. it must have been very exciting and a great honour.  i know trevor does work for v & a. (amazing)  i wonder what other interesting things our group members can lay claim to......    christine  :)

February 21, 2010 at 3:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anna-Maria C Sviatko

Hi Daniel: I bow at your feet: wow, what an opportunity!

Since Rebecca hasn't mentioned it, she blogged about the use of miniatures in the credits of a new Australian movie called Tangle. Watch the clip on YouTube here...

February 21, 2010 at 3:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Di Davies

'The Good Life'.  A British TV comedy from the 70s.  Repeats are still being shown regularly.   Tom and Barbara Good have a vintage tudor-style dolls house in their bedroom (I couldn't identify the make).

February 21, 2010 at 8:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

I must watch The Good Life again! I don't remember a dolls house in the bedroom at all!

Very interesting to have an insider's view on setdressing, Daniel! I guess that's why movies are so expensive to make - all that time, effort and the cost of the actual dolls house and furnishings, for 20 seconds!!!

February 21, 2010 at 9:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Di Davies

I think the Good Life episode was probably called 'The Early Birds'.  It's the one where Tom & Barbara have an early night and can't get off to sleep because Jerry & Margo are having a party next door. It's rare to see their bedroom in the series so you have to watch out for this one.

February 22, 2010 at 4:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Penelope Beaumont

Have been looking through the bookcases and found George and Matilda mouse and the Dollshouse by Heather Buchanan; and The Enchanted Dollshouse by Robyn Johnson (a pop-up book).  Would the Brambley Hedge books count as every thing is mouse size.

February 22, 2010 at 6:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.