Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Gee Bee History

Trumble's Mum

HHHHEEELLPP!

Another two houses turned up a week or two ago. Mmm, no problem with the little Triang 61 as it just sits at the other end of our kitchen unit, keeping my much loved Triang R company. And no problem with the sweet Victory Nelson that Diane P allowed me to buy as a village hall for Dolly Mixture Lane and which now nestles between the Triangs. We are now used to the fact that we pretty much live in one room for everything and our kitchen-sittingroom-playroom-library has every surface covered with things we like but which others might feel are out of place. We even refrain from cooking smelly foods like fish for fear of spoiling such things.

No, the problem is the little Gee Bee. It wasn't planned, you see. It arrived in the arms of a long-suffering neighbour, who thought it would be fine for his wife to have 'a little dolls' house hobby.' Poor, innocent that he was, he was thrilled when she bought a 1:16 house to fill the days until she got used to their now empty nest. But she, it seems, has grand dreams and the Gee Bee doesn't cut it for her as it is fiddly and doesn't suit the style of furnishing she wants. So, he is to give up his workshop at the end of the barn so it can house a 16 room, 1:12 mansion, which, she tells him, he is to build for her. I MAY have failed to disuade her from having such grand designs in recent phone conversations......but be gald, oh husband mine, that I prefer more humble abodes in both human and d/h size!

Anyway, the poor little Gee Bee must stay lovingly wrapped in our barn until we either have the (big) house fixed or I get tired of waiting and give the dog a space on the end of our bed so the little house can have his space on the floor. In the meantime though, between musing, dreaming and planning a self-build wartime house and playing with the two Triangs, I am looking at ways of furnishing it and wanted to know its history.

So, having never seen a Gee Bee quite like it, I started by looking at the photos and magazine index here, but can't find one like it. Does anyone know the history of the Gee Bee company, please?

Excuse the messy background and poor quality of my photos of the poor house. It needs work, but I'd like to know I'm doing more good than harm when the time comes, so any info anyone can offer about its vintage and original look would be a real help.

Jenni

--

March 13, 2018 at 9:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Jenni, your house is one of the earliest GeeBees. See Rebecca's article on the firm's history in the September 2014 magazine:

http://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/issue22sept2014p5.htm

A house like yours (but with the window and door frames, and the gate, in the more familiar darker green), is shown in the article. Keep scrolling down until you come to it.

I'm still unable to post comments in photo albums, so couldn't give you the reference there. Below are the comments I would have left under photo 3, if I'd been able:

The Rotate button in Edit Album ceased to work for turning photos about a year ago. No-one can do it anymore. I reported it to Webs, more than once, but they never replied, neither has the problem been fixed.

GeeBee houses are actually 1:18 scale, so are smaller than 1:16. A lot of Dol-Toi furniture is actually 1:18, but do check the dimensions of any piece you are considering buying, because some are very much larger! The plastic (not plaster) Barton bathroom suite and their red spotty lounge suite are also 1:18. The ceilings in GeeBee houses are often too low for a lot of 1:16 dolls, but Grecons and 1:18 CaHo/CaCo dolls can live in them very happily. If you would like to see the furniture I used in my Brenville, and its CaCo inhabitants, look here:

http://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=14244135

March 13, 2018 at 12:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Brooksey at March 13, 2018 at 12:18 PM

Jenni, your house IS a GeeBee - and one of the earliest. See Rebecca's article from the September 2014 magazine:

http://www.dollshousespastandpresent.com/issue22sept2014p5.htm

A house like yours (but with the window and door frames, and the gate, in the more familiar darker green), is shown in the article. Keep scrolling down until you come to it.

I'm still unable to post comments in photo albums, so couldn't give you the reference there. Neither could I tell you that the Rotate button in Edit Album ceased to work for turning photos about a year ago.

Thank you so much, Brooksey!

I knew I'd seen an article by Rebecca somewhere but, on checking in the magazine index under Gee Bee didn't help. I forgot that they were marketed it under Tudor Toys too.

I love the dark green and red, so familiar from so many different houses of my childhood, but also quite like the look it has been given and would worry about accidentally removing the original plant painting, which is very pretty. So, what to do with it? Not sure.

Sorry you can't post on the photo albums. I can't send messages privately. It is really strange how some of us are affected by one thing and others by something else. I had to reload Adobe Flash before those 3 photos would load to the album but hadn't removed it, so who knows what is going on?
  Jx

--

March 13, 2018 at 12:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

I can't send private messages, either! Please re-read my post above, Jenni - I edited it whilst you were replying!

I think that your browser may have removed Flash (a long story, but the likeliest explanation), rather than it being Webs' fault - about the only thing that they can't be blamed for!

I would leave the pale green paint, too. It suits the house, and it's become part of its history. As you say, in removing it you might lose more than you gain.

March 13, 2018 at 12:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Jenni - I really like the idea of the Victory Nelson house as a village hall!

March 13, 2018 at 1:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator
I agree with Brooksey, Jenni - the house is lovely as it is and shows a bit of history. So glad you have it, even if you don't (yet) have space for it.
--

Edel

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shero6820/

March 13, 2018 at 1:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

YAY! Thank you ladies! I'll leave it as is, then. I prefer it that way and it will also save this lazy person quite a bit of work! I measured up the rooms before it went to sleep for a few weeks, and they are only about 5"x 6" so it is quite small and I think it may only take 1:24 furniture, so I'm on the hunt for nice vintage pieces in small scale.

--

March 13, 2018 at 3:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Ah - 5" x 6" is small! Rooms of that size would scale up to 10 x 12 feet in 1:24, so that feels about right. (5" x 6" equates to 7' 6" x 9' in 1:18 - barely big enough for a box room - and a completely unrealistic 6' 8" x 8' in 1:16). The tiny front door is in scale for 1:24, too! I hadn't known before today that the earlier GeeBees were smaller than 1:18. This site continues to educate and amaze me!

Quite a few Dol-Toi pieces are nearer to 1:24 than they are to either 1:16 or 1:18, so may be worth looking at, but check the measurements before buying! 

March 13, 2018 at 5:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jeanette
I have never read Rebecca's articles on Geebees and now I'm glad I did, thank you once again Rebecca...x
--

March 14, 2018 at 2:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Jeanette at March 14, 2018 at 2:22 PM

I have never read Rebecca's articles on Geebees and now I'm glad I did, thank you once again Rebecca...x

Rebecca is a fount of knowledge, isn't she? I have no idea how she retains all the information on so many houses. I must have read that particular article three or four times over the last few years but, when I need it, I couldn't remember where it was and a lot of the content seemed new to me, as though i'd never read it before.

So yes - A BIG THANK YOU to Rebecca for all her interesting articles and for the labour of putting the e-zine together for us for so long.

--

March 15, 2018 at 6:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Search This Site

Translate This Site