Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > wire cutters

Grandma Jill

Wonder if any of you could help me.   I have had a go at making some of the wonderful items in Sheila Smiths Wicker work book, but I am finding it very difficult to get really sharp and  narrow  pointed wire cutters, sharp enough to snip the wires cleanly, close to the weaving. Has anyone tried this please, and what make cutters  would you recommend? 

--
August 12, 2017 at 12:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Don't think they would be suitable for this use but I use garden pruners for cutting most things, keep a new clean pair just for my miniatures.

August 14, 2017 at 8:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Jewellers snips are useful and quite small.

August 14, 2017 at 12:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Grandma Jill

Thanks ever so much for the suggestions.  I hadnt thought of secateurs, and the jewellery  snips are a great idea too.   I think in future i shall use  a lighter grade wire,  but I shall still need the access bit so I shall try outthe secateurs and deny all knowledge  of any damage I might inflict on them.......

--
August 16, 2017 at 10:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Holly

As per Rosemary's suggestion but from my own experience too I bought a set of these mini pliers and snips years ago and find them invaluable for fiddly jobs. The pliers and cutters are only about 3 1/2" long so dont get in the way like full size tools do:

https://www.beadsdirect.co.uk/mini-purple-plier-set-x3/W182/?gclid=CjwKCAjw2s_MBRA5EiwAmWIaczfnY54nkJosqpG5ogad14613YREXa3AccCiMNTMnqHtf9eoTUDaLRoCY3sQAvD_BwE

August 16, 2017 at 11:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

I used to make silver jewellery years ago, and the littlle pliers, etc. are all kept in my DH repair drawer and are invaluable.

August 17, 2017 at 6:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

cestina

The other things you can use are heavy-duty nail clippers (the ones that look like scissors), the sort for toe-nails.   The lighter weight ones are also useful.

I have also got a battery operated nail "grinding" set with various grades of grinding stone which is useful for wood sanding....

--

Cestina's Dollshouses: "I'm a train....."

August 18, 2017 at 3:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Grandma Jill

A big Thank You  for the suggestions, and I found a nail "grinding" kit in a charity shop  so all I need now is time to play with everything!   And I thought retirement would be so much slower than working life  - and I'd have hours and hours to myself...........   yeah yeah......

--
September 13, 2017 at 6:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Holly

I have only just seen this post and the nail grinding set is a fabulous idea Cestina, lucky find Grandma Jill I will look out for one too. have resisted the temptation to invest in a Dremel set so this sounds like a good interim measure. 

September 14, 2017 at 8:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Search This Site

Translate This Site