Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Moth repellant aerosols

Judy C

I am ready for masses of heat to come through the air waves........

What is the considered opinon about using moth repellant aerosol spray around the dolls houses?? :roll:

--

July 11, 2017 at 2:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Don't know about sprays, Lavender is a natural moth repellant and won't stain anything.  

July 11, 2017 at 6:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Judy C

Jan at July 11, 2017 at 6:49 AM

Don't know about sprays, Lavender is a natural moth repellant and won't stain anything.  

Thanks Jan.

I am assuming the sprays do not stain, as they are recommended for spraying on things, but for sure, Lavender can be under quilts and in cushions or cradles very easily, thus hopefully averting disaster for the Grecon folk. :)

--

July 11, 2017 at 9:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

I have been using moth repellant sprays on my carpet - which seemed to bring moth in with it , despite being new and from a well known and trusted never knowingly undersold shop - when it was fitted. The latter part - they cut the length wrongly twice - seemed to bring the voracious moth into my home. Since then I have sprayed but they are still gobbling up my carpet down stairs - upstairs, cut correctly first time seems to have escaped to munching. so I am neither impressed with the moth repellant or the warehouse that housed the carpet that my length was cut from. With a housefull of Grecons, you may see why I have some sleepless nights. I grow Lavender and always dry it and have it around the real house.

July 14, 2017 at 12:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

It's nice to use when packing things away just put a dried sprig in with it, sorry you've had problems like that Rosémary carpet is expensive to be eaten away.

July 15, 2017 at 1:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Thanks, Jan, for commiserations. I am really annoyed ( actually a stronger word comes to mind but not suitable to express here) because it is the moving of everything when a carpet is being laid thst takes so much effort, since the partnership will do nothing to aid this part of the deal. Hopefully the Grecons will not get infected. So I son't know if the sprays really work but like prayers, anything is better than nothing,

July 15, 2017 at 5:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Judy C

Oh dear! That is a big problem Rosemary! 

I only made the enquiry because I spotted a little moth lurking close to Mignonette and wondered if I could head them off before damage occurs, but I liked the lavender idea, and have put some in the beds of my houses. ;)

--

July 16, 2017 at 9:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Liza

I moved a dolls' house bed yesterday and realised that the pillow was filled with lavender. Perhaps I should make a load and put them on every bed.

--

July 16, 2017 at 12:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

This may sound silly, but when my d/h people take a long rest in their houses without my interference, I put a bunch of dried lavander downstairs for them to enjoy - I hope they assume it is some kind of decoration, along the lines of a Christmas tree.

My father used to make lavander and beeswax furniture polish for Mum as his furniture restorer uncle told him that it detered woodworm. I've no idea whether it actually works, but this being an ancient house with an attached barn that did have woodworm in the beams before we moved in, I worry about our furniture and my little houses. Anyway, I love the smell and my Grecons don't seem to suffer from moth larvae nibbles.

--

July 16, 2017 at 3:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Lots of insects avoid lavender, was told to plant lavender close to rose bushes as it help prevent aphids so probably work for woodworm as well.  Like the idea of lavender in the dolls house pillows, like you Jenni I leave a bunch in each house.

July 18, 2017 at 5:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sarah

I've been using little sachets which claim to kill moths, eggs and larvae but smell of lavender.  I put them under the beds or behind wardrobes.

July 18, 2017 at 9:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Judy C

I may well be arrested very soon! :| Since Jan's recommendation I have been taking one flower head off every patch hanging over a pavement as I pass .....

--

July 19, 2017 at 1:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Zoe H
Administrator

Judy C at July 19, 2017 at 1:29 PM

I may well be arrested very soon! :| Since Jan's recommendation I have been taking one flower head off every patch hanging over a pavement as I pass .....

Tomorrow's newspaper headlines: "Serial Lavender Pilferer Caught on CCTV" LOL!

--

Zoe

https://trulymadlytiny.blogspot.co.uk

http://grecondale.com

July 19, 2017 at 4:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Think you are safe if not selling it Judy..Lol

July 20, 2017 at 6:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Search This Site

Translate This Site

Recent Forum Posts