Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Triang number 63 curtains

lucy

I am working on my Triang 63 for a feature article in a US magazine

I am wondering what these holes are in the top of the house front

http://imgur.com/fH9MQWm

I have these on all 3 sets of doors ,wondering if they are for the  top window  curtains , or something else

June 19, 2017 at 2:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Val Hill

As far as I know, the curtains were attached to the window frames. I've not seen holes like that before. 

June 20, 2017 at 2:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Freda Knight
Hi, Lucy - I have the same holes on my Triang 61 (early 1930s) - for what purpose I have no idea.
June 20, 2017 at 6:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

lucy

Thankyou , when I first purchased the house it had curtains that had string going along the top seam and up either end of the holes and tied at the top , I copied this but am now making new curtains and not sure if I should just add a thin strip of fabric to the windows ,the curtains look nice with the pattern on the outside  but when you open the doors does not look nice from the inside I tried backing them with the same fabric but they ended up too bulky ,I just looked at my number 61 and that does not have the holes its very strange , I don't see any reason they should be there need the patience of a saint to get to some windows

June 20, 2017 at 10:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Freda Knight
Hi, Lucy - I've just had another look at my 61 - and put my fingers underneath the strip of wood (with the holes on either side) there is a groove - this would make sense if you wanted to add your own curtains as they would hang quite well. I think you may have hit the nail on the head.
--
June 20, 2017 at 4:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

lucy

Hello Freda,   I will try this again ,you know what its like once you get started I have ended up taking all the curtains down and printed some cotton to match the wallpaper so it all matches .The downstairs ones I am (as I type) trying to attach a pelmit to match the mats using cross stitch not sure if it will stay on ,as a miniaturist I like to explore all kinds of textures ,the curtains look drab just hanging even when they match the walls they are missing something ,I will upload a photo when completed fingers crossed it looks like what I have in my mind ,if it works another 9 to go

June 20, 2017 at 8:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jeanette
Hi Lucy, I don't know what kind of pelmet you are making, mine were made to go with a mat and stair carpets. I made mine using balsa wood covered in linen and cross stitched them. It was quite easy to do and and fold at the side or not. The pictures are in my Scottish house 50 to 53...
--

June 21, 2017 at 2:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

lucy

Hello Jeanette, just taken a look your house is lovely the pelmits do work ,I was not sure how they will look  but the curtains just look so drab they need something to jump out, I always keep the spare threads from my mats if I ever need them in the future but they do fade over time , my son and I took hours with a torch and magnifier but the mat which has not been in sunlight has still faded so this pelmit may not match :(  good job I have not done anymore in this house , the front doors are so thin not sure how I will keep this pelmit on yet, I hope  it will sit on top of curtains as I don't want to screw anything else in the door as its coming through the front ,I should have it completed tonight ,I also love your blinds I was thinking of blinds especially as this room is the kitchen ,next will be trying to attach a matching light shade of some sort around these old original pea bulbs still amazes me how the lighting still works after all these years ,I never have the time with my miniature work to do much to my own collection

June 21, 2017 at 12:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Search This Site

Translate This Site

Recent Forum Posts

by cestina 2 months ago
by Brooksey 2 months ago
by Trumble's Mum 2 months ago
by Jan 2 months ago