Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Has anyone scraped a mayflower roof

Claire Quick

any thoughts to scraping off a mayflower roof. It's thick red gloss but the roof is made of card? Tiles and it's taking chunks off it as I am using a scalpel. 

June 13, 2017 at 12:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

I would probably try paint stripper wiped off with cotton wool, or perhaps scraped gently with a plastic spatula?

--

Rebecca :)

June 13, 2017 at 12:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Barbara

I think paint stripper would be worth trying, I used Nitromors on my Gottschalk when I was uncovering Litho paper, the secret is not to leave it on too long a bit trial and error.

June 13, 2017 at 1:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

I agree with Barbara and Rebecca. I've just successfully stripped a thick layer of white household gloss from the outside of my 82 using Nitromors. (I know I've been working on an underlying structure of wood, not card, but I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't scour right through to the wood, so I was able to remove just the overpainting). Because Nitromors is a soft gel, it shouldn't soak into the card too much. Do a very small area at a time, so it's under your control!

June 13, 2017 at 1:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Claire Quick

Thankyou ladies. I shall give it a try

June 13, 2017 at 2:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Veronica

I personally avoid anything like paint strippers (dangerous fumes, risk to user, unpredictable) and I'm wary of scalpels for paint scraping as they are difficult to control. I use a vintage Tiranti steel plaster modeller's tool I've had since art school in the 1960s which is a double ended leaf spatula and tiny chisel - alas no longer available. The thin flexible, spatula has a gentle curve brilliant at getting under paint layers and lifting them or flicking off and is very controllable with practice. The nearest in modern Tiranti tools seems to be "no. 52 stainless steel leaf spatula" and it's well under 10 quid.

June 17, 2017 at 8:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

I do hate changing the blades on the scalpel and should have got the disposable ones.

June 20, 2017 at 4:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

There is a gadget to help with changing the blades, Jan, but I never seem to be very good at fitting them, even with it's help.

June 22, 2017 at 10:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Do you remember who you purchased it from Rosémary.

June 27, 2017 at 6:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

I'm sorry, Jan, I don't. But it probably came from a picture framer supplies place - Lion of Birmingham for example.

June 27, 2017 at 6:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

O.k. Thank you, I was reading a ghost story about a dolls house, supposed to be true, a young girl was digging in the garden and found a doll she cleaned her up and placed her in the dolls house which was in the room she was sleeping it at her Nans, that night she heard noises and thought she saw all contents of the house on the floor, and someone say thank you for bringer her home, next morning thinking she had an odd dream until she see all dolls from the house on the floor apart from the one she had placed in there which was in bed. She did some research on Nans real house and found that a young girl aged seven had died in the garden approx. where she found the doll, and thinks the young girl was thanking her for bringing her doll home.  Thought this was a sweet story and not really scary hope I'm not breaking any rules for repeating it on here.  The dolls house was left there by a previous owner.

June 27, 2017 at 8:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

buttercup
You can get surgical scalpel and blade removers on ebay Swann Morton are the best .each box holds up to 100 blades,much safer for disposal as well
June 27, 2017 at 8:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

That's the name I wanted Buttercup, couldn't remember it and cannot find the blades as not done any scraping recently.  Thank you.

June 27, 2017 at 9:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Search This Site

Translate This Site