Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > House on ebay

Gwyn

Hello ladies,
I read and re-read the posts and advice on here many times, but this is the first post for me.
I really just want to let you know that this wonderful house will be joining me in due course and while I have been building and renovating houses for many years now, this is a first for me since I obviously must learn to be totally 'hands off' on this one.
Of course, I have no real idea of what will (or won't) need doing until I've had the opportunity to look at it properly but I'm hoping you might feel able to offer some advice when the time comes to begin cleaning.
Just hoping the only livestock it arrives with is the odd spider!
Thanks  :)

June 12, 2017 at 10:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

Gwyn at June 12, 2017 at 10:44 AM

Hello ladies,
I read and re-read the posts and advice on here many times, but this is the first post for me.
I really just want to let you know that this wonderful house will be joining me in due course and while I have been building and renovating houses for many years now, this is a first for me since I obviously must learn to be totally 'hands off' on this one.
Of course, I have no real idea of what will (or won't) need doing until I've had the opportunity to look at it properly but I'm hoping you might feel able to offer some advice when the time comes to begin cleaning.

Congratulations Gwyn! I'm so happy that you've won it, and that we'll be seeing more of it! As I said on facebook, I can send a summary of all the info I researched about the house where it was found, and the owners and probable makers of the dolls house, to you directly, if you like.

--

Rebecca :)

June 12, 2017 at 11:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Linda B

Well done Gwyn, it's a wonderful house that I am sure will give you much pleasure.

--

:)

June 12, 2017 at 11:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

So glad that we will see more of it. It is an amazing house.

June 12, 2017 at 12:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

cestina

It's so lovely that we will hear more of it.   I too hope it comes without any additional livestock.   It reminds me in lots of ways of this house that I bought on ebay a couple of years ago, though mine is nowhere near as wonderful.   It was riddled with woodworm, though it could well have been all dead.   But I bundled it up in dustbin bags and treated it several times just to be sure.   It was a nightmare as parts were inaccessible as I suspect some of your new glorious acquisition may be.

So fingers crossed...

PS For those who remember the blogpost - the house is now unwrapped but still hasn't made it into the museum proper though it is in The Stables as my workrooms are called - as you can see if you plow to the end of this post.

--

Cestina's Dollshouses: And then there were three

June 12, 2017 at 2:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Congratulation Gwynn, delighted for you and look forward to seeing the house again.

June 12, 2017 at 3:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

It really is a special house and I am so pleased it is going to someone on this site. Hope you really enjoy it.Congratulations!

--

June 12, 2017 at 3:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

A member contacted me to say that they believed some furniture that they bought at auction several years ago in Birmingham was originally from this dolls house. I have added photos of the extra furniture to the album A Mystery Dolls House in South East London - they're on page 4 of that album, though probably easier to see at the moment in the Recent Photos view of the Photo Gallery! They are amazing - a tiny dolls house in the same style as the large dolls house, a radiogram with a Boogie Woogie record on the turntable, clothes in the wardrobes, etc ...

The member who bought these pieces doesn't wish to sell them, or to be identified. I'm very grateful indeed that they have shared these photos with us - the pieces are marvellous in themselves, and wonderful to know that more of the pieces in the black and white photos of the dolls house still exist, and to see them in more detail.

--

Rebecca :)

June 13, 2017 at 12:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Zoe H
Administrator

Amazing furniture indeed and thank you to the member who, very commendably, shared these photos with us so that we can enjoy them and to add to put them on record.

--

Zoe

June 13, 2017 at 5:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Veronica

Gwyn at June 12, 2017 at 10:44 AM

Hello ladies,

Delighted to see that this house has become part of the DHP&P "family" and has its future assured! Good luck with the cleaning and isn't it great to have the research background as well. A valuable social history piece, as well as a unusual and beautifully made house, and a tribute to the personal  skills of extraordinary, yet ordinary, people. Their amazing work often does not get preserved or recorded in the conventional museums and only enthusiasts step up to do this. I'm looking forward to hearing more...

June 17, 2017 at 12:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Rebecca Green at June 13, 2017 at 12:24 PM

A member contacted me to say that they believed some furniture that they bought at auction several years ago in Birmingham was originally from this dolls house. I have added photos of the extra furniture to the album A Mystery Dolls House in South East London - they're on page 4 of that album, though probably easier to see at the moment in the Recent Photos view of the Photo Gallery! They are amazing - a tiny dolls house in the same style as the large dolls house, a radiogram with a Boogie Woogie record on the turntable, clothes in the wardrobes, etc ...

The member who bought these pieces doesn't wish to sell them, or to be identified. I'm very grateful indeed that they have shared these photos with us - the pieces are marvellous in themselves, and wonderful to know that more of the pieces in the black and white photos of the dolls house still exist, and to see them in more detail.

How lovely to see this additional furniture and that perfect little dolls' house dolls' house.

It gives me a little thrill to know the joy of owning some of those wonderfully crafted pieces has been spread to at least one other person.

I wonder if any more will turn up eventually? It would beinteresting, though laborious, to see whether all the sequence of numbered pieces could be accounted for between those still with the house and this collection.

--

June 17, 2017 at 4:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Judy C

I have been reading about this house on a facebook page. What a fabulous house. Good luck to Gwyn and I am really looking forward to seeing progress.

--

June 27, 2017 at 12:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Search This Site

Translate This Site