Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Hobby - fantasy world or harsh realism.

Rosemary

Permanganate of Potash! I can remember bathing in a solution of that to obtain a deep and convincing tan so that I could go to the York Arts Ball as a Red Indian.  My dear mother was not so pleased when she found her newly fitted pale pink enamel bath with a purple tide mark on it which was extremely difficult to remove......

May 19, 2017 at 11:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Trumble's Mum at May 19, 2017 at 10:54 AM

Most of my 'residents' are seniors - so they are unlikely to need to avoid a pregnancy. They are also incredibly healthy and do not need medication. Loo rolls - well they don't have any at the moment, so perhaps they should invest......

Seriously though, I share my houses with visiting children and am not about to put myself into the firing line of explaining to the offspring of others exactly what condoms or the pill are for. No,  I think my dolls' house people can keep such items in drawers or medical cabinets, if they feel the need, and I won't check on them!

Vomit? Euw! It isn' something I would leave lying around on my own house floors (even in my long past student days), so I'm assuming that, should there be an unfortunate, upset stomach or over-indulgence event, Grandma Jean would deal with it before anyone else could see it.

My houses tend to be furnished using the slightly unrealistic 50s  furniture of the Barton/Twigg/Dol Toi kind and I feel no need to have the totally realistic extras that might appear in a student house share. Perhaps I might branch out into more realism if I even make a modern 1/12 kit up. I've nothing against the idea in principle -except the used condom or vomit either of which would make me evict mt residents, real or miniature. It is just just don't particulalry want such items in the houses I have just now and find it hard enough to find the essential furniture etc. without buying them extras.

HOWEVER - Jan, if you ever come across flea powder in 1/16 scale, we hav a little dog that appears in a perpetually scratching pose, so let me know, as we probably need it!

Thinking about it Jenni cannot remember what we used for flea treatment back then, must have been a spray possibly.

May 19, 2017 at 11:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Hi Jan - no, it was a powder. We had a white cat and my mother used to complain that she couldn't see to brush it all out. I'm quite sure it would be something bad for our lungs and his, as chemical stuff was thrown around with gay abandon back then, but poor old Enoch (yes, my father chose terrible names for our pets)  was coated with the stuff about  six times a year, just in case. Bit like the syrup of figs of the eaarly 1900s and also the cod liver oil we were dosed with in the 50s - prevention was considered better than cure. I'm stil unsure what the cod liver oil prevented, though.

--

May 19, 2017 at 3:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey

Edel at May 19, 2017 at 9:49 AM

Maddy says:

...dolls are different and don't need everything we have.

You're right Maddy - but some dolls do seem to need more than others!

:D

May 19, 2017 at 5:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Cod Liver Oil - to prevent our joints and wire frames from rusting....?

May 20, 2017 at 2:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

theinfill.wordpress.com

Been following this thread with interest and wondering where the invisible line might fall on any given day between humour, social document and taste (does that make it a triangle?). The question of what makes it a dolls house is probably more straight forward for me depending on the owner, the variety of age range of its audience and why is it being built, restored in the first place.

Once you add inhabitants, imagined or represented by whichever style of figure seems good, then the element of what do they get up to does enter the scenes.

I think my line/trinagle might wander a little according to barometric pressure perhaps.

Today I own up to Hogepotche having deposits on the cobbles below the window where the servant is emptying the night slops and I place that firmly under the heading of social document but haven't put any dog or cat deposits around the place. Or vomit for that matter. Also today I have no urge for displaying used condoms and I doubt if there'll be day for that unless it's as some commentary in an outdoor mini scene about the state of parks and campsites. I think my today's limit might be general packets and bottles of health goodies pertinent to the time and place I'm working on at the moment might be more general such as a box of senna pods, perhaps and that ghastly Malt Extract along with the Cod Liver Oil, Disprin and Andrews. Oh, and Calamine Lotion with cotton wool too. Not thought any further so far and the cats and dogs will have to fight off or share their fleas I suspect :/

--

May 20, 2017 at 5:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Trumble's Mum at May 19, 2017 at 3:32 PM

Hi Jan - no, it was a powder. We had a white cat and my mother used to complain that she couldn't see to brush it all out. I'm quite sure it would be something bad for our lungs and his, as chemical stuff was thrown around with gay abandon back then, but poor old Enoch (yes, my father chose terrible names for our pets)  was coated with the stuff about  six times a year, just in case. Bit like the syrup of figs of the eaarly 1900s and also the cod liver oil we were dosed with in the 50s - prevention was considered better than cure. I'm stil unsure what the cod liver oil prevented, though.

Your right Jenni, remember now and the name Enoch made me laugh, my cat is Dipsey after one of the Telly Tubbies, he belong to my niece before he live with me so never chose the name.  My neighbours had a black and white cat called Tabby which I found quite funny as always think of tabby cats being called Tabby.

May 20, 2017 at 5:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

theinfill.wordpress.com at May 20, 2017 at 5:13 AM

Been following this thread with interest and wondering where the invisible line might fall on any given day between humour, social document and taste (does that make it a triangle?). The question of what makes it a dolls house is probably more straight forward for me depending on the owner, the variety of age range of its audience and why is it being built, restored in the first place.

Once you add inhabitants, imagined or represented by whichever style of figure seems good, then the element of what do they get up to does enter the scenes.

I think my line/trinagle might wander a little according to barometric pressure perhaps.

Today I own up to Hogepotche having deposits on the cobbles below the window where the servant is emptying the night slops and I place that firmly under the heading of social document but haven't put any dog or cat deposits around the place. Or vomit for that matter. Also today I have no urge for displaying used condoms and I doubt if there'll be day for that unless it's as some commentary in an outdoor mini scene about the state of parks and campsites. I think my today's limit might be general packets and bottles of health goodies pertinent to the time and place I'm working on at the moment might be more general such as a box of senna pods, perhaps and that ghastly Malt Extract along with the Cod Liver Oil, Disprin and Andrews. Oh, and Calamine Lotion with cotton wool too. Not thought any further so far and the cats and dogs will have to fight off or share their fleas I suspect :/

We do meander along the way, I'm one of the worst for moving from the thread, you remind me of Disprin and Andrews they would be good ones to have.  As for pets they have it easy don't they just a drop of whatever on the back of the neck to rid the fleas and worms these days. 

May 20, 2017 at 5:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey

There's nothing wrong with wandering, Jan! This has been one of the best threads for a long time, with its lively blend of debate, insight, nostalgia and humour, showing once again that the dolls house hobby encompasses many different approaches! Some interesting images, too - I don't think I shall forget Rosemary's potassium permanganate bath, or Enoch the cat!

I do wonder what the scenario was which led to a customer commissioning the original just-out-of-the-foil-packet and used condoms from Delph Miniatures. They've made them for general sale ever since. 

May 20, 2017 at 6:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Em, wonder if was was something like Rebecca said earlier in this thread.

May 20, 2017 at 6:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Rosemary at May 19, 2017 at 11:20 AM

Permanganate of Potash! I can remember bathing in a solution of that to obtain a deep and convincing tan so that I could go to the York Arts Ball as a Red Indian.  My dear mother was not so pleased when she found her newly fitted pale pink enamel bath with a purple tide mark on it which was extremely difficult to remove......

I'm interested to know if this work Rosémary, and did you wear a wig.

May 20, 2017 at 7:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

theinfill.wordpress.com

Brooksey at May 20, 2017 at 6:55 AM

There's nothing wrong with wandering, Jan! This has been one of the best threads for a long time, with its lively blend of debate, insight, nostalgia and humour, showing once again that the dolls house hobby encompasses many different approaches! Some interesting images, too - I don't think I shall forget Rosemary's potassium permanganate bath, or Enoch the cat!

I do wonder what the scenario was which led to a customer commissioning the original just-out-of-the-foil-packet and used condoms from Delph Miniatures. They've made them for general sale ever since. 

Exactly, that was my point - and now I'm worrying about this imaginary first customer who commissioned the used condoms!  Thanks for the image :)

--

May 20, 2017 at 7:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey

Edel at May 19, 2017 at 6:37 AM

It's quite easy to fake vintage packaging if you have a colour printer, it doesn't even have to be a terribly good one. There are so many images of practically everything on the web that it is generally possible to find an image of what you want, then reduce it to whatever size required and mock up the flat package on your computer, print, glue to thin card, cut out, fold and glue. And a  little bit of antique Briwax helps to age almost anything ;) 

I've done this many times to get labels for vintage foodstuffs and medicines in tins, bottles and jars, most notably to get a 1900 cocoa label for the Shukers' cottage (that took me most of an afternoon, a couple of years ago!), but I do like the crisper detail that Chris Shepherd achieves with her miniatures compared to what I get from my printer. Also, it's much easier to get images online for labels for flat boxes than it is for ones for jars, where they need to wrap around.

Remember, labels only need aging if they're going into an antique/older vintage house (or a new one crafted to look old) so that they blend in with old miniatures. In my case, because all all my period settings are aiming for contemporary realism, this step isn't needed for bright food and pharmacy boxes - they would be brand new, then! (When I (finally!) get to decorate Ketterley, I shall probably be distressing the wallpapers - after all, they have meant to have been hanging for 50 years by 1940).

May 20, 2017 at 7:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Rosemary at May 20, 2017 at 2:43 AM

Cod Liver Oil - to prevent our joints and wire frames from rusting....?

Remember Olive Oil was put on our hair, I still do that on damp hair before blow dry.

May 20, 2017 at 7:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Goodness, what a lot of things have come out in this forum. I don't think I want to know the original commissioner of the used object, although I do remember that Caroline Hamilton had a brothel on show many years ago at Kensington.....it is probably at Newby now, but I never looked at the scene very closely........Brooksey's reminding me of Shepherd Miniatures got me to put an order in, it is one of two exciting parcels waiting to be opened today.

I can't remember if I wore a wig with the "tan" but do have a photo showing that my real hair was white blonde then so I must have covered it up with something. 

Strangely enough, I prefer the faded and battered old papers on houses rather than the pristine ones in my Goddards. I can't think why because the houses that I have repapered myself all look fine, maybe it is because I tried to make very careful choices and Poppets had some very appropriate papers for the Silver's residence.

May 20, 2017 at 8:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Was thinking you were more a platinum blond.  

May 20, 2017 at 8:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Brooksey at May 20, 2017 at 7:21 AM

It's quite easy to fake vintage packaging if you have a colour printer, it doesn't even have to be a terribly good one. There are so many images of practically everything on the web that it is generally possible to find an image of what you want, then reduce it to whatever size required and mock up the flat package on your computer, print, glue to thin card, cut out, fold and glue. And a  little bit of antique Briwax helps to age almost anything ;) 

I've done this many times to get labels for vintage foodstuffs and medicines in tins, bottles and jars, most notably to get a 1900 cocoa label for the Shukers' cottage (that took me most of an afternoon, a couple of years ago!), but I do like the crisper detail that Chris Shepherd achieves with her miniatures compared to what I get from my printer. Also, it's much easier to get images online for labels for flat boxes than it is for ones for jars, where they need to wrap around.

Remember, labels only need aging if they're going into an antique/older vintage house (or a new one crafted to look old) so that they blend in with old miniatures. In my case, because all all my period settings are aiming for contemporary realism, this step isn't needed for bright food and pharmacy boxes - they would be brand new, then! (When I (finally!) get to decorate Ketterley, I shall probably be distressing the wallpapers - after all, they have meant to have been hanging for 50 years by 1940).

I'm pretty unshockable in real life, but my current houses are fantasy, play-style ones that are set in the early to mid 20th century when privacy about medication and 'bodily functions' were the norm anyway, so such things are not needed.

If I made a realistic, model home though, it would be a historic one as that is my interest and such things as the deposits outside Hogepotch Hall would figure there. At the moment, only the handbuilt one I use as a Welsh cottage does have an outdoor ty-bach, which as the norm until the late 60s and is still to be seen by some cottages that do have indoor plumming - an extra loo in the garden is often useful. That, with its torn sheets of newspaper on a string and the chamber pot Grandma Jean is objecting to in her temporary accomodation is as far as I've gone with realism of that nature to date.

--

May 20, 2017 at 8:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Deleted part of that post, thinking aloud.

May 20, 2017 at 8:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Trumble's Mum at May 20, 2017 at 8:24 AM

Brooksey at May 20, 2017 at 7:21 AM

I'm pretty unshockable in real life, but my current houses are fantasy, play-style ones that are set in the early to mid 20th century when privacy about medication and 'bodily functions' were the norm anyway, so such things are not needed.

If I made a realistic, model home though, it would be a historic one as that is my interest and such things as the deposits outside Hogepotch Hall would figure there. At the moment, only the handbuilt one I use as a Welsh cottage does have an outdoor ty-bach, which as the norm until the late 60s and is still to be seen by some cottages that do have indoor plumming - an extra loo in the garden is often useful. That, with its torn sheets of newspaper on a string and the chamber pot Grandma Jean is objecting to in her temporary accomodation is as far as I've gone with realism of that nature to date.

It wouldn't bother me to see them in others houses at all, whoever ordered them originally must have wonderful imagination or they were for reconstruction of a crime, we have seen room settings like that and would make sense if like Rebecca said for helping in child abuse cases.

May 20, 2017 at 8:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Search This Site

Translate This Site