Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Victory Nelson Toys

Jeanette
Lol, I loved Victory V's, I'm still laughing at the ingredients...unbelievable!
--

May 15, 2017 at 4:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

Trumble's Mum at May 15, 2017 at 1:36 PM

Jan at May 15, 2017 at 1:17 PM

Trumble's Mum at May 15, 2017 at 11:19 AM

Jan at May 15, 2017 at 8:11 AM

Trumble's Mum at May 13, 2017 at 6:44 AM

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/11755177.Sweet_factory_team_were_true_pioneers/

This article indicates that the owner of Victory-Vs Industries, having started with their lozenges (which contained ether and chloroform!!!), they went into the toy industry in order to provide work during the depression of the 20s. They were also providing yearly paid leave for employees 40 years before it bacame a law to do so.

Sounds as though they were another example of philanthropic employers, like the Cadbury family. They seem to have been partners of Frys, the company that made Creme Bar, 5 Boys Chocolate and the original chocolate covered Turkish Delight bar. I read another article by the same paper thatsays the factory was pulleddown in the 1980s and some opany called Wavelengths now stands on the site. It doesn't mention whether the toys and d/hs were in production up until then. Only the lozenge production was moved to Devon.

Now I want to find one of their houses!

Was shocked at the ingredients of the lozenges, we used to have them and they were vile.

I just told my 95 year old mother thatshe exposed me to dangerous drugs as a child. Her answer was that it didn't kill me!

My brother and I were minor Victory-V addicts though, as we could fake a cough to get these, but sweets for 'non-medical' reasons were only allowed in sall quantities on a saturday. Think we must have been a little desperate!

Ha ha Jenni, I'm interested to know if your mother had them because at 95 I will stop worrying if she did.

Ha - my mother was always the most terrible eater. Sugarholic and fruit/veggie-avoider doesn't begin to describe her. She would confound the medics if she ever told them the truth! We were not allowed sweets but would find her stashes hidden all over the house and now she can't get to the shops, I still find goodies (or is that baddies?) under her bed - he gets her younger frends to buy them and bring them to her at their lunch clun meetings, I think but I don't think she was ever keen on Victory-Vs,she was more a liquorice allsort and fudge scoffer.

No worries then and eat what we want.

May 15, 2017 at 6:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

I've decided - my little people NEED Victory-Vs for the winter. They are of that era when almost all elderly Brits wandered around with a faint whiff of the things following them like a cloud between November and March. So, I need to research the making of miniatures.....It's about time I made more effort on their behalf.

--

May 16, 2017 at 2:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey

Trumble's Mum at May 16, 2017 at 2:15 AM

I've decided - my little people NEED Victory-Vs for the winter. They are of that era when almost all elderly Brits wandered around with a faint whiff of the things following them like a cloud between November and March. So, I need to research the making of miniatures.....It's about time I made more effort on their behalf.

There are miniature retailers' hanging cards of packets of them by two makers on eBay - it should be possible to prise the packets off. eBay IDs: 201924968179 and 350409562455. (The sellers may be willing to sell you a few packets unmounted, if you ask). 

May 16, 2017 at 4:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey

Jeanette at May 15, 2017 at 4:32 PM

Lol, I loved Victory V's, I'm still laughing at the ingredients...unbelievable!

I loved them, too - and knew what they contained! (I was as much a research nerd at primary school age as I am now!).

May 16, 2017 at 4:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey

This has been a fascinating topic, both for the unexpected discovery of a previously unknown maker (from such a surprising firm, too!) and the nostalgia for the lozenges!

Some of the "homemade" houses seen on eBay over the years have resembled the one Guy owns, and I'm sure examples of the shuttered house and the bungalow seen in the film must have been listed, too, before now. I shall be reviewing new listings with fresh eyes from now on!

May 16, 2017 at 5:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator

theinfill.wordpress.com at May 13, 2017 at 2:42 AM

So glad Cestina says she remembers them as I had a friend from school lived down the street and he owned the garage but my job was to watch him play apparently!  Distinctly remember the large 'O' in the word Showroom and worried about the steepness of the slope.  As for Victory Vs - we had them by us every winter for sore throats and ear problems.  If you had too many they worked on your tummy a little harshly!

Rather than a nail gun could it have been a staple gun?  Also remember looking at some parts of the toys Martin (down the street had) and wondering how they got staples into wood?

LOL Do, about you having to watch the little boy neighbour playing with his garage. One of my boy neighbours as a child had an Evel Knievel figure with a stunt motorbike that us girls were not allowed even to TOUCH ;)

--

Edel

May 16, 2017 at 8:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Susan Mayes

Found I had a Victory Nelson Shop in my 'room' so added some photos which may be of interest.

May 16, 2017 at 11:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Zoe H
Administrator

Susan Mayes at May 16, 2017 at 11:06 AM

Found I had a Victory Nelson Shop in my 'room' so added some photos which may be of interest.

That's reallly interesting, Susan and thank you so much for posting photos.

--

Zoe

May 16, 2017 at 12:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

cestina

I was the one who collected Dinky Toy cars so needed a garage. The little boy I played with was occasionally allowed to play with them as well.

The Victory V lozenges were not the only medicines to contain chloroform.   I am sure some of you will remember the original https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorodyne" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Dr Collis Browne's Chlorodyne?  Although still around it has now lost the cannabis, laudanum and chloroform but it still had those ingredients when I first used it....magic stuff!

--

Cestina's Dollshouses: And then there were three

May 16, 2017 at 3:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

We were being used as Guinea Pigs it seems.

May 17, 2017 at 3:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator

cestina at May 16, 2017 at 3:49 PM

I was the one who collected Dinky Toy cars so needed a garage. The little boy I played with was occasionally allowed to play with them as well.

The Victory V lozenges were not the only medicines to contain chloroform.   I am sure some of you will remember the original https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorodyne" target="_blank">Dr Collis Browne's Chlorodyne?  Although still around it has now lost the cannabis, laudanum and chloroform but it still had those ingredients when I first used it....magic stuff!

Nice that the bossing could go both ways ;)

I had a collection of matchbox cars inherited from an uncle who is only 10 years older than me - but alas, no garage! I still look yearningly at antique toy garages.... I also had plastic farm animals that I loved a lot - but no farm for them. At least that deficit has now been alleviated with my recent purchases of stables :)

--

Edel

May 17, 2017 at 9:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Search This Site

Translate This Site