Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > So useful!

Rosemary

I  am finding a very important use of this site for discovering lost items. Today, I was utterly baffled by a missing picture in one of my houses. It belonged in that particular room because of the subject matter.  I couldn't remember moving it to another house, but since it wasn't to be found where it should have been, I went through every house with no luck. I knew from looking into albums on this site that it had been in place on the left hand wall two years ago, but since then the room had changed a bit with the placing of a different fireplace. Another photo on the album showed the missing picture hanging above the "new"fireplace put into position a year ago. So back I went to look and it wasn't there - BUT- the Eurika moment was when I realised that the fireplace tilted slightly forward and there, slipped down behind it, was the picture!  I have found things before by referring back to pictures on the site - it really is SO useful in these times of cricis. Perhaps not quite the use for which it was created but fantastic for detective work.

May 9, 2017 at 7:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Wonderful! This site is a mine of unexpected information!

--

May 9, 2017 at 9:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Linda B

I recently found old photos useful when furnishing all my houses in their new home.

The furniture for each house were in seperate boxes, but referring to the photos made replacing the items much faster!

--

:)

May 9, 2017 at 1:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mary Noel

I completely agree, Rosemary!  I recently had my blog printed as a book...I had not even known that could be done.  But now I have all the old pictures in book form too.  Such a wealth of info for my fading memory!! :)

May 16, 2017 at 6:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator

Goodness, if I had a book of this website (and it would probably be a multi-volume work!), I think I'd never read anything else...

--

Edel

May 17, 2017 at 2:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

I use my "buys" photos to remind me what I bought at fairs. Saves a trip into the loft to the paper archives!

May 18, 2017 at 2:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

An excellent way to do it Brooksey and we all have the pleasure of seeing them.

May 18, 2017 at 4:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

A book also sounds like an excellent idea.

May 18, 2017 at 4:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Edel at May 17, 2017 at 2:28 PM

Goodness, if I had a book of this website (and it would probably be a multi-volume work!), I think I'd never read anything else...

With the number of photos alone rapidly heading for 36,000, plus all the magazines and the Forum topics going back 8 years, I'm sure we'd be looking at as many volumes as Encyclopaedia Britannica! 

May 18, 2017 at 5:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Trumble's Mum

Mary Noel at May 16, 2017 at 6:23 PM

I completely agree, Rosemary!  I recently had my blog printed as a book...I had not even known that could be done.  But now I have all the old pictures in book form too.  Such a wealth of info for my fading memory!! :)

Heavens, Mary! How did you do that? Not that I've ever kept a blog going long enoigh to be more than a short children's picture book, but it is a wonderful idea, especially with blog hosts closing sometimes.

--

May 18, 2017 at 9:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Maddy

See!  That might be a way of publishing the Greconstories!  (If you remember my thoughts about this a while ago.

May 18, 2017 at 10:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jan

True Maddy, I for one would want a Grecon Tale Book.

May 18, 2017 at 11:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Mary Noel at May 16, 2017 at 6:23 PM

Mary Noel, perhaps you could give us some idea of what your blog cost to produce - and you are in the USA so different charges, I guess. Whenever I have looked into personal books the cost is fine for one to have as a memory, but expensive if you were going to sell to others. I'd be really grateful if you could give us some iders, please.

May 18, 2017 at 12:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Search This Site

Translate This Site