Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > EEEEEKK!

Val Hill

No snow (yet, it's forecast for tonight and tomorrow) but very cold. We  are tucked up in the van with the heater on. It does give me time to plot stories though.......

March 21, 2017 at 11:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Going back to prices - usually the USA prices are lower than over here, but there is always the blow of postage and customs to even that up! But today I have seen stateside some more jaw-dropping prices on similar items that I have in my houses - these at buy-it-now not auction. One of the regular sellers on Ruby Lane has said that old things are getting harder to find so perhaps we are in for a difficult time.

March 22, 2017 at 5:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ninja

Just saw another little mouse on that auction site.a cold painted bronze one. He's just so cute I had to share... item 401290540521

March 30, 2017 at 8:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Liza

Same seller, too, so it will doubtless go high.

--

March 30, 2017 at 9:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Liza, why should the actulal seller's identity make any difference? Surely it is the desirability of the item for sale that commands the price reached? As we all know, cold painted bronze tends to be expensive although I can never quite understand why.

I recently bought a gorgeous little dog, maker unknown, and could see that the seller had done a little filing on the base to see what he was made of - which wasn't bronze but his detailing is as good as if it were.   It would be great to have an article on this subject and some explanation as to the quality and why the pricing.

March 30, 2017 at 10:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dale

Do you mean an article on cold painted bronze? I could help somebody with that but wouldn't have the time to do it myself.

March 30, 2017 at 11:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Liza

I don't know the answer to that, except that presumably they have people who follow them and look out for anything they sell. Certainly the two or three I look at get prices way beyong what I would if I put the same things on ebay. Luckily I am happy with my little website, where there are no nasty ebay rules and no nasty ebay fees either.

--

March 30, 2017 at 12:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

I have certainly noticed things being offered at extremely high prices - way beyond their actual worth, especially when they are not complete!

I can understand a price going up and up in a bid if that is the last piece to complete a collection, but otherwise - no, I overpaid for a very trivial item some years ago because I had not seen another and then afterwards, like buses, they salied past at well under half the price. Still, one lives and learns.

March 30, 2017 at 12:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dale
So not an article on bronze then, that's a shame. It would make an informative, interesting and useful read. I am sure many collectors would like to know what to look for, the different ways bronzes are made and the ones to avoid etc.
March 30, 2017 at 12:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Zoe H
Administrator

Rosemary at March 30, 2017 at 12:23 PM

I have certainly noticed things being offered at extremely high prices - way beyond their actual worth, especially when they are not complete!

I can understand a price going up and up in a bid if that is the last piece to complete a collection, but otherwise - no, I overpaid for a very trivial item some years ago because I had not seen another and then afterwards, like buses, they salied past at well under half the price. Still, one lives and learns.

LOL, yes, been there and got that T-shirt! 

--

Zoe

https://trulymadlytiny.blogspot.co.uk

http://grecondale.com

March 30, 2017 at 1:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Zoe H at March 30, 2017 at 1:02 PM

Rosemary at March 30, 2017 at 12:23 PM

LOL, yes, been there and got that T-shirt! 

Me, too!

March 30, 2017 at 4:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

On the other hand I have also had some fantastic bargains from offers where the item's provenance had not been spotted by the seller= so= swings and roundabouts?

March 31, 2017 at 4:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Rosemary at March 31, 2017 at 4:24 AM

On the other hand I have also had some fantastic bargains from offers where the item's provenance had not been spotted by the seller= so= swings and roundabouts?

Definitely! I've benefitted from this, too, before now.

March 31, 2017 at 7:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca Green
Site Owner

Dale at March 30, 2017 at 12:42 PM

So not an article on bronze then, that's a shame. It would make an informative, interesting and useful read. I am sure many collectors would like to know what to look for, the different ways bronzes are made and the ones to avoid etc.

It would be great to have an article on cold-painted bronze (and other types)! It's not something I have any knowledge of, but if you - or another member - could contribute information on the topic, that would indeed be very interesting.

--

Rebecca :)

March 31, 2017 at 7:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dale

I would be really happy to help Rebecca but don't have time to do the job on my own. Any collaborators out there please?

March 31, 2017 at 9:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Will there ever be another magazine? From comments in the Webs "SB2 legacy" user group, it appears that there are continuing serious problems with the File Manager function in SB2, which is essential for the magazine format.

April 1, 2017 at 4:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

That's a blow! I am very Non Tech so had not realised.

April 1, 2017 at 5:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Is there any news on the File Manager function?  It does seem a long time since we have had a magazine to enjoy.

April 4, 2017 at 11:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Well - two tiny bone mice on a certain site right now, with a different vendor.

A nice tin fireplace, an advertising piece just fetched more than I have seen similar pieces go for in the past. Such an exciting and unpredictable hobby.

April 8, 2017 at 3:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

I might add that the tin fireplace looked to be in excellent condition, a very covetable item which reminded me very much of one in my Grandmother's house many years ago.

April 9, 2017 at 5:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Search This Site

Translate This Site