Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Miss Barbellion's Garden

Freda Knight
At long last I have managed to obtain a copy of this book at a relatively reasonable price! When this book was raised in discussion some time ago I set up a search to obtain it as it sounds an intriguing 'read'. Two bookshops (a chain store and a private book seller) assured me that they could secure a copy on my behalf, but on both occasions I was disappointed only to be told that it was out of print. Copies available on the internet cited ridiculous exorbitant prices. Then - just as I had decided I would have to do without this book - there it was, waiting for me on Amazon. I'm now looking forward to reading this book and retaining it as part of my dolls' house hobby.
--
March 17, 2017 at 6:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator

I read it recently Freda (also got it cheaply on amazon) and look forward to hearing what you think. Enjoy!

--

Edel

March 17, 2017 at 7:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Zoe H
Administrator

I love the book and we heard 'from the horse's mouth' at Cobham last month that there is to be a follow up - yay!

--

Zoe

March 17, 2017 at 8:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Badger

What is it?

March 17, 2017 at 9:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator

It's a book by Irving Finkel about an old lady and a strange child and also involves dolls' houses and miniature gardens. It is beautifully illustrated by Jenny Kallin who is a member here (I've forgotten her alias). A must-read for dollshousers :)

--

Edel

March 17, 2017 at 11:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ninja

I have read this book four or five times now - it is a permanent resident on my ever changing fiction shelf & I really enjoy dipping into it now & again - not going to write any detail as I don't want to spoil it for anyone but I think it's a cracking good read! :)

March 17, 2017 at 1:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Badger

Edel at March 17, 2017 at 11:13 AM

It's a book by Irving Finkel about an old lady and a strange child and also involves dolls' houses and miniature gardens. It is beautifully illustrated by Jenny Kallin who is a member here (I've forgotten her alias). A must-read for dollshousers :)

Oh, thank you. Will try the library. I must say that they are very good at getting requested books here. They got me Liza Antrim's book from a private library in London to have a look at, so I could decide whether to buy  a copy - I did. They have sourced a book from America for a friend to read, also. I worry about the future of the library service, and try to do my bit to keep the footfall up.

March 17, 2017 at 1:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey

Edel at March 17, 2017 at 11:13 AM

Jenny is the author's sister. Her DHPP name is Rubyred. 

March 17, 2017 at 4:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator

Thank you Brooksey!

--

Edel

March 18, 2017 at 4:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Freda Knight
Took this delightful book away with me on holiday and, truly, did not know what to expect. On opening it up and beginning to read it, all my expectations were fulfilled! From my first introduction to Miss Barbellion I felt an affinity... almost as if I had met up again with an old friend. I believe that all dolls' house collectors would feel the same as myself. I had to limit myself from reading too many chapters at once so that the book would last me the entire week. Indeed, I felt as if I had spent a week in Bath with Miss Barbellion, as well as in St Ives!!! Jenny's illustrations were, of course, a perfect complement to the story - and were humorous and yet uncannily perceptive, not unlike Miss Barbellion herself! She certainly understood Mina and Holly. In my mind, Jenny's illustrations were Mina's illustrations (Mina's style of drawing) and this was confirmed when she sent her 'Great-Aunt Nancy (Miss Barbellion)' her drawing of 'Holly Hocks on the little horse'. To say more would ruin the story and reveal too much for anyone intending to read this wonderful book. All I would say, in conclusion, is that I will certainly re-read this book in the future and relive the fun and secret joys of a dolls' house collector and lover of life in miniature - especially tiny gardens.
March 26, 2017 at 1:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator

Gald you enjoyed it so much Freda, I liked it a lot too. I especially liked Mina's storyline. I couldn't have waited a week to finish it though! ;)

--

Edel

March 27, 2017 at 10:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

I am kicking myself that I gave my copy to a friend as a present since she used to live in Harrogate and had a Morris Minor Traveller and deals.  I thought that it would be easy to replace.......

March 27, 2017 at 12:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Freda Knight
Hi, Rosemary - books are strange things - just keep a look-out on Amazon and ebay - they have a way of turning up if you really want them. I had a similar experience with 'De Bever Hall' and even sourced another copy for another member on this site - both were at very low prices.
March 27, 2017 at 1:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

I'll have to give it a go, Freda. I didn't buy De Bever Hall when it came out, I got it through my library and was a bit taken aback by the cosmetic work on the doll's faces. Ages later, when I found eBay, and this site, I thoudh a copy was a "must" and paid far too much for it!

March 27, 2017 at 1:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michaela

Thank you for reminding me about this book Freda.  When I read this thread I went straight away to find my copy and re-read it, and also unpacked my Britain's Floral Garden items to play along as I read. :)  This book is food for the soul.  Zoe, I'm delighted to hear that there will be a sequel 

--

April 1, 2017 at 4:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

Irving Finkels books are magic, I have just finished reading the Art Student Princess story.......Such collecting by her father and such rebellion by his daughter,

April 1, 2017 at 6:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michaela

I think The Last Resort Library looks tempting, have you read that Rosemary?

--

April 2, 2017 at 11:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator

I read it Michaela, and enjoyed it. But the plot is a bit bitty/episodic. It's full of librarian/academic jokes, so if you're familiar with those "scenes" you will probably like it. I certainly laughed a lot!

--

Edel

April 2, 2017 at 11:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rosemary

I Was dithereing on that one, Michaela.

April 2, 2017 at 1:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michaela

I'm only a wish-I-had-been-a librarian Edel :)  so I'm dithering too Rosemary.  I have it on my wish list anyway and there's something else I want, so I may be able to add it to my swag to make up to the free postage level.

--

April 2, 2017 at 2:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Search This Site

Translate This Site