Dolls' Houses Past & Present

A website and ezine about dolls' houses: antique, vintage and modern. Plus furniture and accessories.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Miss Barbellion's Garden

Freda Knight
At long last I have managed to obtain a copy of this book at a relatively reasonable price! When this book was raised in discussion some time ago I set up a search to obtain it as it sounds an intriguing 'read'. Two bookshops (a chain store and a private book seller) assured me that they could secure a copy on my behalf, but on both occasions I was disappointed only to be told that it was out of print. Copies available on the internet cited ridiculous exorbitant prices. Then - just as I had decided I would have to do without this book - there it was, waiting for me on Amazon. I'm now looking forward to reading this book and retaining it as part of my dolls' house hobby.
--
March 17, 2017 at 6:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator

I read it recently Freda (also got it cheaply on amazon) and look forward to hearing what you think. Enjoy!

--

Edel

March 17, 2017 at 7:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Zoe H

I love the book and we heard 'from the horse's mouth' at Cobham last month that there is to be a follow up - yay!

--

Zoe

March 17, 2017 at 8:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Badger

What is it?

March 17, 2017 at 9:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator

It's a book by Irving Finkel about an old lady and a strange child and also involves dolls' houses and miniature gardens. It is beautifully illustrated by Jenny Kallin who is a member here (I've forgotten her alias). A must-read for dollshousers :)

--

Edel

March 17, 2017 at 11:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ninja

I have read this book four or five times now - it is a permanent resident on my ever changing fiction shelf & I really enjoy dipping into it now & again - not going to write any detail as I don't want to spoil it for anyone but I think it's a cracking good read! :)

March 17, 2017 at 1:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Badger

Edel at March 17, 2017 at 11:13 AM

It's a book by Irving Finkel about an old lady and a strange child and also involves dolls' houses and miniature gardens. It is beautifully illustrated by Jenny Kallin who is a member here (I've forgotten her alias). A must-read for dollshousers :)

Oh, thank you. Will try the library. I must say that they are very good at getting requested books here. They got me Liza Antrim's book from a private library in London to have a look at, so I could decide whether to buy  a copy - I did. They have sourced a book from America for a friend to read, also. I worry about the future of the library service, and try to do my bit to keep the footfall up.

March 17, 2017 at 1:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brooksey
Administrator

Edel at March 17, 2017 at 11:13 AM

Jenny is the author's sister. Her DHPP name is Rubyred. 

March 17, 2017 at 4:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Edel
Administrator

Thank you Brooksey!

--

Edel

March 18, 2017 at 4:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Search This Site

Translate This Site